Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2011, 07:57 AM

Default Re: PCIx in PCI slots...

Quote:
Originally Posted by trelobas View Post
do you mean the extra "pins" on the pci cards?

The cards are very long so I was thinking that the cards won't push in properly due to the heat sink that's just what I'm thinking tho I might be wrong

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 04-28-2011, 08:42 AM

At first I was thinking of using upward pci risers. Then I got lost in the search engines again and stumbled upon this Mobo and started contemplating "sandy bridge"...
The quest continues..
Old 04-28-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trelobas View Post
At first I was thinking of using upward pci risers. Then I got lost in the search engines again and stumbled upon this Mobo and started contemplating "sandy bridge"...
The quest continues..
Any one using a sandy bridge out there, if so what are your findings

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 04-28-2011, 01:53 PM

Re: GA-P55-UD3L, I'm using this. I did have to modify the heat sink to install the cards, not hard to do. I never considered 'risers', oh well, seems that there would be issues with the way the cards fit in the case.

The MB works fine as far as I can tell, my issues have been with Windows, coming from a Mac background.

PT 9 HD3 Accel runs well.

good luck
Old 05-10-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimak415 View Post
Hey guys!

Doing an upgrade on a PCIx based HD3 system. Time for a new comp. I'm building a hackintosh... before the flaming begins, let me state that I have built 6 hackintoshes running 10.6.5 on LE and 9 systems (including mine running 10.6.6) so lets avoid that topic, unless you have questions.

My question is regarding PCIx cards in PCI slots. I have read mixed things on these forums and want to put the topic to rest.

As far as I understand, putting PCIx cards into PCI slots is possible and decreases the bandwidth from 133 to 33. This is not an issue on systems that use HD3+. A very very marginal difference is seen on these systems, and well worth the upgrade to the computer and expanded use of RTAS plugins due to faster CPU and RAM.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The plan is as follows.
GIGABYTE GA-H67A-UD3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel H67
Intel Core i7-2600K (can be changed to something less hefty if mobo cant OC anyways
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 850w
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s
EVGA GeForce GT 240 1GB

That gigabyte mobo is the only current motherboard I can find with 3 PCI slots. I will be attempting a SandyBridge Hack (no small fete), but its been done.

I know skimping is a bad idea when it comes to comps, but I really want to avoid shelling out 3k for a silent Magma Chassis.

So to simplify, my question is is there anyone running PCIx cards in PCI slots. What is your experience with it? Any degradation in DSP or TDM functionality? Thanks in advance guys!
Was wondering how you faired?

I was unsuccesful with Pro Tools PCI-X HD3 with GA-H67A-UD3-B3.

When inserting the Core Card the computer booted/posted. When attempting to install an accel card, the computer would not post/boot. It just restarted over and over again.. I tried PCI-1 and 2 and PCI 2 and 3. Same thing. I even tried skipping PCI Slot 2 and Install core card in PCI 1 and Accel in PCI 3. No Go. I tried all 3 card and nothing.

The computer would boot into OXS and Window 7 if just one card was in. Didnt matter the slot. Didn't matter if it was an accel card or the core. It would boot and Protools 9HD would install and work. When ever I tried two or more cards, the computer would not boot.

Any ideass? An HD1 will not work at all!

Old 05-10-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonTalley View Post

When inserting the Core Card the computer booted/posted. When attempting to install an accel card, the computer would not post/boot. It just restarted over and over again.. I tried PCI-1 and 2 and PCI 2 and 3. Same thing. I even tried skipping PCI Slot 2 and Install core card in PCI 1 and Accel in PCI 3. No Go. I tried all 3 card and nothing.

The computer would boot into OXS and Window 7 if just one card was in. Didnt matter the slot. Didn't matter if it was an accel card or the core. It would boot and Protools 9HD would install and work. When ever I tried two or more cards, the computer would not boot.

Any ideass? An HD1 will not work at all!

Dude grap yourself a supermicro x8sax mobo a guy on here is using it with a HD3 and no issues at all thats what im in the process of building.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonTalley View Post

Sorry to hear about your problems. I can't provide any concrete advice as I'm still testing the water with my toe before jumping in.

It seems, though, from what I've gleaned from the various posts, that most are using the 'P' series motherboards.

The 'H' series has the built in Intel graphics, and some of the issues seem to be related to graphics cards. Perhaps the Intel graphics are causing problems (even if not being used)? Or it could be an issue with configuration or drivers of the graphics card you are using. Do a search on the DUC and you may find some advice in that regard.

Good luck. Let us know if you get it going.

Ray
Old 05-10-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul23 View Post
Dude grap yourself a supermicro x8sax mobo a guy on here is using it with a HD3 and no issues at all thats what im in the process of building.
Yeah I know of the boards that work corretly in the older chipsets and sockets. I was trying to build a sandybridge PCI-X HD3 system with the new i7s. I currently have an 8 core 3.0 xeon board with 16 gigs of ram.

I guess I just had some extra cash and time on my hand and was hoping to lead the way for those who were interested in the 1155 socket boards and processors. Plus having the ability to run Retail Snow Leopard.

I will keep hunting.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:54 AM

Well we know that the 1155 GA-H55-USB3 (Rev 1.0) works with PTHD PCI-X cards. Just don't want to keep investing money in old techology.

My current rig is plenty fast for all of my needs. I was just getting prepared to ditch PTHD and go native but wanted the biggest and baddest thing out there to do it.

So I have made the decision of getting rid of my HD3 cards and getting the Native card and move on with life. Out with the old. In with the new.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:42 AM

Any successful Sandy Bridge Builds with PCI-X Pro Tools Cards?