Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 04-26-2010, 07:55 PM

Default Need help with connecting multiple MIDI devices

I've had PT for a while, but I'm kind of a newbie to the MIDI world. Need some help with directions on how to setup multiple MIDI devices properly.

I'm running PT LE 8.0.3 on Mac 10.5.x on a 003 with a Command 8. I've got a Korg Triton LE as my keyboard controller and MIDI connected i/o of the Command 8. (This setup is working just fine so far)

Confused now how I add another device in though. I'm trying to add an Alesis DM5 drum module. I don't have any of the pads or triggers, just the module. I'd like to be able to set up the Korg to trigger the drum sounds in the DM5. I want to make sure I can still use the Korg as a controller for Reason or Velvet or internal sounds, in the same session as the drums with the DM5.

Do I need to use the 'thru' port on the Korg? Do I connect direct to the open i/o ports on the 003? Do I need an external device to add more MIDI ports? Once it's connected, what is the best configuration?

Again, I'm new to MIDI, so I apologize if these are dumb questions, but I have to learn somehow. Thanks for any advice and suggestions!
Old 04-26-2010, 08:16 PM

Default Re: Need help with connecting multiple MIDI devices

You should be able to connect the DMS to a USB port instead of a Midi port. Use the USB ports on your Mac. You should also have more than one so just connect the additional devices and the installation and setup will add the device drivers so that PT recogonizes them.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:56 PM

The DM5 module I have does not have a USB out. I've seen MIDI to USB cables, is this what you're referring to? That's a simple enough connection, but how do I configure to use as a MIDI instrument?
Old 04-27-2010, 03:30 PM

That may work. That way you can connect it to a USB port. Or if your Triton has USB use that and connect the DM5 to your command 8.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:56 PM

I'm not familiar with the command 8, but according to this:

http://www.avid.com/US/products/Command8

It has a USB connection to the computer and would act as a 1 in/2 out MIDI interface (just like the 003).

So you should be able to have 2 MIDI inputs and 4 MIDI outputs just by connecting the C8 (correctly) via USB..

Am I missing something here?