Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2015, 12:18 PM

Default Re: Free trial version of 12?

Quote:
Originally Posted by V5V View Post

I don't understand what that has to do with finding a link to download a demo of PT12HD, but in case it helps:

MacBook Pro 17" Mid 2009
3.06 GHz Core 2 Duo
8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM
NVidia GeForce 9600M GT 512 MB
1TB SATA SSD System Drive (Crucial BX100)
2TB SATA 5400 RPM HDD (Samsung M9T)
Using built-in audio via headphone jack for testing

Do you know off the top of your head if a demo version of 12 is available for download?

Thanks!
Well, you said you can't get 11 to work on your rig. If that can't be overcome, you may have the same issue with 12.

What exact OS are you running?

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 04-08-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
I don't understand what that has to do with finding a link to download a demo of PT12HD, but in case it helps:

MacBook Pro 17" Mid 2009
3.06 GHz Core 2 Duo
8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM
NVidia GeForce 9600M GT 512 MB
1TB SATA SSD System Drive (Crucial BX100)
2TB SATA 5400 RPM HDD (Samsung M9T)
Using built-in audio via headphone jack for testing

Thanks!
No wonder you had trouble getting PT11 to run - your computer is WAY underpowered. Core 2 Duo is one issue and that 5400 rpm drive is another. Also - what version of OSX are you running? PT11 wants a minimum of OSX 10.8.3 I believe.

QAPLA!
Old 04-08-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
Well, you said you can't get 11 to work on your rig. If that can't be overcome, you may have the same issue with 12.
Gotcha. I understand now.

I'm not really interested in workarounds or screwing around with a setup that works for absolutely everything EXCEPT Pro Tools.

All I want to know is whether the changes under the hood Avid made to 12 make it viable with my existing configuration. If it isn't, I may be more inclined to switch to something else than to mess around with kludges.

I very much appreciate your willingness to help, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
What exact OS are you running?
Yosemite 10.10.2
Old 04-08-2015, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
No wonder you had trouble getting PT11 to run - your computer is WAY underpowered.
I don't think that's the problem. The test sessions were really basic -- half a dozen audio tracks and a 640x480 proxy video.

The issues I had didn't seem to be related to the ability of the computer to "keep up." I was getting things like a black video screen, lockups on playback with both the Play and Stop buttons lit up, "Problem stopping Pro Tools" error windows, and a progress bar saying something about "video processing" whenever I tried to close a session.

None of which really matters, though. I'm not trying to troubleshoot 11. As a first step, before I do anything else, I want to try 12. I just haven't been able to find a link to the demo version (I've found a Free Trial page but it only offers 11 and 11HD).

If anyone knows where I can download the demo version of 12, I'd be very grateful for a link.

Thanks! :)
Old 04-08-2015, 05:09 PM

Quote:
I don't think that's the problem. The test sessions were really basic -- half a dozen audio tracks and a 640x480 proxy video.

The issues I had didn't seem to be related to the ability of the computer to "keep up." I was getting things like a black video screen, lockups on playback with both the Play and Stop buttons lit up, "Problem stopping Pro Tools" error windows, and a progress bar saying something about "video processing" whenever I tried to close a session.

None of which really matters, though. I'm not trying to troubleshoot 11. As a first step, before I do anything else, I want to try 12. I just haven't been able to find a link to the demo version (I've found a Free Trial page but it only offers 11 and 11HD).

If anyone knows where I can download the demo version of 12, I'd be very grateful for a link.

If you can't get 11 to work you won't get 12 to work either. Like I said your computer is way underpowered and would be struggling at best for PT11 to even startup let alone run a small session. And being that you were also trying to run video at the same time on that anemic machine - well surprise surprise - problem city and then some.

edit for additional:
The issues you are having ARE because your computer can't keep up.

QAPLA!

Last edited by musicman691; 04-08-2015 at 06:05 PM. Reason: additional thought
Old 04-08-2015, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Nope. Runs too close to violating our Code of Business Conduct which says it's unethical to use my position as as employee to ask vendors for personal favours. I'm inclined to agree. While this may not actually BE unethical, it's important that we not give the APPEARANCE of crossing the line.
I didn't suggest you get something for you personally. You said you were having trouble at your business with ISIS Interplay. If so, and you have a contact at Avid, you could ask if you can borrow PT12 to isolate your problem. If not, rent it.

Sending demo software to a good client to isolate a problem is done al the time. You could also ask to be a Beta tester.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:34 PM

no need for a v.12 demo you can get it for 30days for $30.00
Old 04-09-2015, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park Seward View Post
I didn't suggest you get something for you personally. You said you were having trouble at your business with ISIS Interplay. If so, and you have a contact at Avid, you could ask if you can borrow PT12 to isolate your problem. If not, rent it.

Sending demo software to a good client to isolate a problem is done al the time. You could also ask to be a Beta tester.
Oh, okay. I have no doubt that Avid is working with our boss on getting Interplay working. It hasn't gone well, but I believe they're trying.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
no need for a v.12 demo you can get it for 30days for $30.00
Yeah, we covered that in posts 5 and 6 of the thread. Thanks, though.

$30 to try it. If it doesn't work, $79 to figure out why. If we're successful, my prize is I get to buy the software. If we're not, Avid has 109 of my dollars and I have nothing.

Contrast this against Serif, who not only provided me a 30 day free trial of Affinity Designer, their shot across the bow of Adobe's Illustrator, but has employees working the forums to find and squash bugs discovered by users, and take feedback on features that would get users to buy their app.

I'm not necessarily expecting that level of service from Avid, but I don't think a demo version is asking too much. I'm sure they agree since they offer a trial version of 11. I suspect they just haven't gotten around to providing one for 12 yet, probably because they're too busy trying to push it out to people who have paid for it.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:22 AM

Quote:

I have a 17" 3.06ghz 8gb Core2Duo MacBookPro and Pro Tools 11 runs better on it than Pro Tools 10.

The only difference for me is that I had a 7200rpm internal drive fitted from new, and, more recently, I replaced the DVD drive with a 2nd internal HDD (1tb 7200rpm). That latter mod has naturally trashed the battery life, but I dont run it much on batteries nowadays anyway.

The demo session, and many of my real world sessions run fine. I do also use a UAD satelite Quad and Solo (Expresscard) so most FX Plugins I use are not using host processor power. I do get into problems if I try to run too many VI that load big sample libraries, e.g. Kontakt + Omnisphere + Trillian + Superior Drummer. But I've had 50+ tracks of audio playing back while overdubbing without issues.

I'm running 11HD on it, and have disc cache turned on, which I'm sure also helps, so that its not streaming audio 'live' from disc.

When 11 was announced, part of the hype that went with it was that it would breath new life into older spec computers, and that has certainly been true in my case. So the phrase 'way underpowered' as used by other people should be qualified with 'by today's standards'. The Core2Duo MacBookPro is fully capable of running 11, and I see no reason why 12 should be any different.

Of course, it runs out of power before my 8-core Mac Pro, but it's fully capable of recording 32 tracks at once, i've done it on many occasions. And playing back many tracks while overdubbing.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)