Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2016, 03:26 PM

Default PRO TOOLS HDX vs. PRO TOOLS HD NATIVE

Okay lemme first start out by saying I do not use plugins. My audio engineering professor in EVERY session he recorded on the lovable SSL console never once used plugins and I never heard better music. Also take note that I pretty much get to only about 15 total tracks and thats after using my summing mixer, outboard gear, etc. i may use one of two plugins simply for reference but i never record analog i.e. print tracks with active plugins in them. So am I really missing anything with PT HDX? It seems to me that all you really get is DSP and you pay like 8 thousand dollars, i presume you also get more tracks, more processing, etc. Keep in mind, I use 128 GB of Samsung RAM on my mac pro in PT HD. But seriously, what gives HDX the advantage? P.S. -
I use to have a TDM HD 2 system. Man when I saw the writing on the wall I sold it just in the nick of time and got an hd native PCIe card, PT HD 9 for only three payments of $500 dollars and now i'm at PT HD v12.5.2 an hd native thunderbolt interface, apogee mKII symphony i/o thunderbolt, and happy as a lark and i'm not looking back.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:40 PM

Default Re: PRO TOOLS HDX vs. PRO TOOLS HD NATIVE

Unless you need lots of DSP plugins, there is no real NEED for an HDX card, other than it would allow you to track at the lowest available latency. Having said that, I track full bands on HDN, including 5 stereo headphone mixes from the sessions. Running at the 64 buffer setting, I have never heard a peep out of players about latency in the phones(I do keep tracking plugins reserved for plugins with no more than 10 samples(actually, my worst "offender" is 7 samples). My template session is fully loaded with plugins, but anything with latency is made inactive(the template session opens this way).

Re the perceived quality from the SSL setup, I love a good console as much as anyone, but there's an equal chance that the engineer is just that good, vs the SSL making the difference(remember, a great engineer will make a great recording with an Mbox and an SM57, while a bad engineer will-or CAN-make crap in a million-dollar studio)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-26-2016, 07:45 PM

HDX is really about low latency monitoring, including through plugins and higher physical IO limits etc.. If you are tracking and monitoring through an analog desk there is very likely absolutely no reason you need it. Pretty much if you did need it you would already know.

If you are also tracking through an SSL the presumably those tracks were tracked through EQ etc. on the SSL so.... sure you are less likely to track through Pro Tools plugins as well.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 08-26-2016 at 09:06 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:57 AM

Use HD native (48 HD I/O) with an SSL 4000G+ and it's perfect workflow, and much prefer it to my HD3 rig.

Always work at 96k and a buffer of 128, and have no issues with latency, have added a UAD for Studer emulations and reverbs also.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:55 AM

96 Channel SSL where I work 64 I/O is not going to cut it....

Plus need those extra voices for 96K
Old 08-28-2016, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by music1979 View Post
It seems to me that all you really get is DSP and you pay like 8 thousand dollars,
Street prices on HDX cards are $4K
Old 09-11-2016, 06:14 PM

Even less now!!
AVID Collab user - mattrixx

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01