Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2014, 07:32 PM

Default Guitar Input not working

I have had my Eleven Rack for about a year and a half, and am very happy with it. My friend had a try of it, and he swapped guitars while I was out of the room, with the unit powered up, and now my guitar input is not working. The tuner is stuck on F. I had a similar issue once after receiving the Eleven Rack, and I fixed it by resetting the memory. I have reset the memory 3 times, and to no avail. After resetting I checked all the settings for outputs, inputs, etc as it was prior to reset.

Has a part failed due to a "hot swap" of guitar input? I think this should be mentioned in the starting documentation if it will cause hardware failure, as nothing is mentioned (that I have found) in the manual or FAQ's regarding this issue. I always use one guitar at a time, and shut down Eleven Rack before swapping normally, I really wish my friend did too.

I hope this will save a similar problem for someone.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:35 AM

Default Re: Guitar Input not working

i really dont think swapping a guitar with 11r powered can cause any problem,but i wait some others guys advices here :)
Old 03-06-2014, 07:36 AM

I've never had a problem with swapping guitars while the Eleven Rack is ON. That should not cause any problems. I do it all the time.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 03-07-2014, 01:03 AM

Thank you for your input. Nice to no the input on the Eleven Rack is hot swapable.
I had some luck, found out about the digital clock issue, which sounded a lot like my trouble, and found the clock can only be set from inside Pro Tools. I kicked up Pro Tools, and after initialising with the software, the Eleven Rack returned to normal.

It is interesting that you guys hot swap all the time, me being new and probably too cautious, turned off instead to swap. I thought the True Z input was at fault with a sudden change to load. I had this problem about 6 months ago, and it was due to a friends guitar, it had a wiring issue, so I found out after my Eleven Rack stopped working last time.

Thank you for your response and help, it has been enlightening and appreciated.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radman56 View Post
Thank you for your input. Nice to no the input on the Eleven Rack is hot swapable.
I had some luck, found out about the digital clock issue, which sounded a lot like my trouble, and found the clock can only be set from inside Pro Tools. I kicked up Pro Tools, and after initialising with the software, the Eleven Rack returned to normal.

It is interesting that you guys hot swap all the time, me being new and probably too cautious, turned off instead to swap. I thought the True Z input was at fault with a sudden change to load. I had this problem about 6 months ago, and it was due to a friends guitar, it had a wiring issue, so I found out after my Eleven Rack stopped working last time.

Thank you for your response and help, it has been enlightening and appreciated.
Very good thinking on your part! And I've never heard of any problems from NOT hot-swapping...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 03-07-2014, 05:41 PM

Thanks Bill. Nice to be able to play with the full experience and freedom again, what a worry it is when our gear gives us problems.

I love the Eleven Rack, my favourite part is using the headphone out into a small stereo, lets me play with all the tone at a volume my neighbours don't hear. Having a bad back, not sleeping at night, this is a real delight and a huge answer to us guitarists who want our tone when we play. Any time of the day or night. Sure beats a attenuater and easier.

All the best, and thanks again for the input to my roblem, it has been valued.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:10 AM

The only real issue with hot-swapping guitars is the same thing you get when doing that with a real guitar amp - hum and noise through the speaker when you change guitars. Now I've never tried it with active pickups in the guitar as I've never had actives (I find the EMG's a little too harsh for me).

QAPLA!