Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2010, 02:12 PM

Default Re: corrupt audio files PT 8.0.3

Hi there
yesterday we received PT sessions in 8.1 format. We put it on disk we work with. After open session PT recalculated overviews since we have 7.4.2. After reopen session PT claimed that that files are not readable and even quicktime could not open them. We replaced files with copy - same! After overview recalculation files became unreadable. I put safe copy of files to system disk, opened session, recalculated overview, closed, opened again- everything's fine. I copied this session to disk we are working with, opened, recalculated overview, closed, opened again everything is fine. 100% repeatable in different studios within facility.
Mac PPC 2.0 dual PT HD1, Leopard 10.5.6
Old 09-09-2010, 02:23 PM

this might be un-related, since all other examples in this thread are of PT session "born" into 8.x. None of the examples involve mixing 8.x session w/ 7.x version, or vise -versa.

Has anyone had the corrupted files from a session "born" with 8.1?

thx,
Ken
Old 09-12-2010, 10:40 AM

Just had this happen to two files from yesterday's session at a studio running 8.03 (I believe -- it was definitely some version of 8 on SL.)
Thanks for the WAV fixer, Rail! It worked like a charm. It'd sure be nice not to have to use it though... this is one of the big things keeping me from upgrading to PT8 at my place....

Last edited by StudioRhythm; 09-12-2010 at 10:47 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 09-12-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioRhythm View Post
Just had this happen to two files from yesterday's session at a studio running 8.03 (I believe -- it was definitely some version of 8 on SL.)
Thanks for the WAV fixer, Rail! It worked like a charm. It'd sure be nice not to have to use it though... this is one of the big things keeping me from upgrading to PT8 at my place....
So you saved on 8 and opened on which version of PT at your studio? That indicates it's in the saving process when the corruption occurs, which is helpful.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 09-12-2010, 06:57 PM

I'm still on 7.4 and tiger at my studio. The corruption happened on 2 different sessions, with one file affected on each session. One of the sessions wasn't re-opened until I brought it back to my studio, so like you say it must be happening upon closing the session.

Possibly unrelated, but I also got the "some regions had invalid bounds and were adjusted or deleted" error pop up upon re-opening at least one of the sessions while at the other studio (possibly more but I can't say 100%....) I also can't be sure that the session with the corrupted file was one where I got this message, but I'm just mentioning it because they seem like they could be related....
Old 09-14-2010, 01:19 PM

I've been comparing notes, and I know a guy who just got two corrupted files (fixed by Rails' utility, thx Rail). The session was created in 8.1
This leads me to believe this has nothing to do w/ mixing 7.4 or 8.x. As mentioned, this seems to be happening when you save a session while working in anything from 8.0.3.x on.

Could this have anything to do w/ how drive is initialized? GUID vs. Apple Partition Map?

I noticed I didn't have any issues at all until I filled the drive about 50%.
Coincidence?

KS
Old 09-14-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenSluiter View Post
Could this have anything to do w/ how drive is initialized? GUID vs. Apple Partition Map?
No.

Quote:
I noticed I didn't have any issues at all until I filled the drive about 50%.
Coincidence?
Yes.

Rail
Old 09-15-2010, 08:19 AM

Hey Rail!!! Does this mean that I should start using WAV instead of AIFF because, from the looks of it, this is bound to happen to me...and from reading these posts, your app fixes WAV files only??

I think we all owe Rail a big thank you...it's nice to have SOMEONE out there not "towing the party line" that will step up and address some of these massive problems that DIGI, sorry AVID, fails to even acknowledge.

Now, Rail- can you fix my ADC weirdness??????

By the way- FWIW- I'm on 8.0.4 and this hasn't happened to me yet- but I am still getting the "boundries deleted" error everytime I open a session.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:38 PM

I haven't seen anyone mention this issue with AIFF so it may not affect AIFF files. If it does it would be simple to write a similar app though.

Rail
Old 09-16-2010, 09:20 AM

Thanks Rain!