Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2008, 01:42 PM

Default DESPERATELY NEED HARDWARE/SOFTWARE HELP!!!

OK,
I have pro tools v7.1.3 using mbox 2 pro with an intel core 2 duo imac using os 10.4.10. Have the updates and everything works fine. I wanted to use universal audio 6176 but mbox keeps overloading before i even really start to pump up the pre and truely use it.I'm pretty sure this is because of the whole +4 -10 issue(6176 as +4 mbox wanting a -10) My friend who is stationed in Iraq told me that since he's not home for a while and is cpu is down anyway to feel free to borrow his interface for the next 6 months or so.He has a digi 002 with mixer(not the rack) that he purchased in 2002.He was running 5.1 off of it.( i dont know if this matters?) I really need this for the +4 -10 switch so i can use this outboard gear i love so much! I had already posted a question on the DUC about software issues and "will i be able to just plug in the different interface and go?" and the general consensus seems to be yes! I was confused though because my software says for mbox 2 pro only and i thought that i needed different software that specified 002 or had something different about the driver but a very helpful and courteous fellow DUC member(ryandyoung) assured me that le software is le software and it shouldnt matter. But every time I am trying to use the 002 and launch pro tools,pro tools says"unable to locate digidesign hardware.Make sure your hardware is connected and turned on.click ok when the hardware is ready." i've tried rebooting my cpu,changing firewire cables,i cant change firewire ports because imac only has 1 port, i've tried just shutting off the 002 and turning it back on with the cpu running.when i go to my system prefrences on my mac it only shows the mbox 2 pro icon and when i click on that it shows nothing because the 002 is plugged in and it cant find it.WHAT SHOULD I DO?? I'm willing to buy 7.4 software but will this help? Here's what i'm thinking and could someone advise me on if this is the way to go? I have 7.1.3, music production toolkit(with ilok code),strike(with ilok),and all my updates.Save those to a seperate hard drive, uninstall 7.1.3,buy 7.4 for the 002,install,change over ilok so i can use my music production toolkit and strike and go! When my buddy takes his interface back down the road,i can always go back.Is this correct? And if so,can i use all my plug ins? Do i need another ilok and copy codes?can i use the same one? I know this is a bit much but like i said, i really want to use my 6176 and neuman mics to the fullest>Also if i am purchasing the software,is it better to get the physical disk? How would i reinstall and all that if i just downloaded it at digistore? THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR TIME!
Old 06-07-2008, 02:36 PM

Default Re: DESPERATELY NEED HARDWARE/SOFTWARE HELP!!!

7.1.3 is actually for Mbox 2 Pro only. You will need to upgrade to 7.4 (or 7.3.1) in order to have multiple-interface support. 7.1.3 was just one of those extremely-rare circumstances where only one interface is supported - that happens when an interface is first introduced to the market, but in most circumstances (like with 7.4) any currently available and supported PTLE interface will work.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:51 PM

whats the next step then? Do i buy the actual disk? Can i jump from 7.1.3 right to 4. can i just go to 7.3? How will all of this work when it comes to my music production toolkit, other plugins,my ilok and codes? I have never changed versions.Everytime i have received new software it was because i was buying a new interface? Could you please help me on the procedure? am i uninstalling my pro tools or just updating? Whats best? Thanks PAUL
Old 06-07-2008, 03:08 PM

It costs the same to go to 7.3.1 or 7.4, so might as well go with 7.4 as it's the version supported going forward as far as updates are concerned etc. You just go to store.digidesign.com and order the upgrade, and once purchased you get links to download the software, as well as a new authorization code (read, print and keep your receipt, it has all the info!). Amongst those download links will also be links to a readme file, as well as "what's new in..." files that you should definitely download and read, they will guide you through the process of upgrading, which is pretty simple.

You can do a 'safe' uninstall of your previous version using the newly downloaded version - there's an option to keep your plug-ins folder in place and untouched, this is what you want to do so you don't have to re-install any of that stuff. Then install your new version (7,4), then download the most recent PTLE 7.4cs update (currently 7.4cs5 - look for thread near the top of the forum) and install that as well. That should do it, but read the 'readme' file first to make sure, that has all the info you need.
Old 06-07-2008, 03:25 PM

if i download the cs5 for 7.4 do i need to download cs1-4? also i was asking about 7.3 because digidesign says 7.4 is only supported up to os 10.4.9 i have 10.4.10? and what about ilok codes? are those only reading cpu id or soft ware as well? will i have to change my ilok over? can i just get pro tools software like when i bought it with the interface(meaning no downloading except for updates?
Old 06-07-2008, 03:28 PM

You need to try clicking on some links and doing some reading. Most of the questions your asking now are covered quite clearly in the first several threads on the forum (the ones with the push-pin icons next to them). As for the iLok, that has nothing to do with 'codes' - but as I explained upthread, you don't need to worry about it if you follow the safe uninstall instructions.