Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 04-09-2012, 08:42 AM

Default Windows 7, pluging in Mbox2 Mini (digi...not avid) causes blue screen

Ok, so I'm getting really frustrated. PT8 worked flawlessly when I was running xp on a computer with less than half of the power of this one. Now, I can't even get the damn thing to work. I have completely uninstalled PT and went through updates .1-.3 without my mbox plugged in, just like the page said, but when I plug it in during the .4 update I get a blue screen. So I figured maybe I wasn't supposed to plug it in until after .4 installs. So I uninstalled it all and do it all again, this time waiting until .4 is done to plug it in. As soon as I plug it in, I get a blue screen. Ok, maybe I read it wrong and I wasn't supposed to plug the mbox in until after .5 installs. So I uninstall it all and reinstall all the updates one at a time...AGAIN! It all finishes without a hitch....I restart my computer....plug in my mbox...boom...blue screen. Again, assuming I'm doing something wrong, I wait for my computer to restart, follow the configuration suggestions (even though I know it has nothing to do with it because I can't even get into PT...let alone have clocking issues....i figured the only one that could mess with it would be the usb power), right-click and run as administrator.....I get a missing hardware dialog box. Ok now we're getting somewhere. So I plug in my mbox and you'll never guess what I got...a F****** BLUE SCREEN!

Now, I don't know if this is a software issue or a hardware issue, but I'm getting really mad. My only thought is that they did this on purpose so people would have to buy new stuff.

Any suggestions other than "try the stand-alone driver" (because I tried that) would be appreciated. Sorry for ranting.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:56 PM

Default Re: Windows 7, pluging in Mbox2 Mini (digi...not avid) causes blue screen

You need to uninstall and start over with a different method. I assume you have PT LE 8? Use the uninstaller utility that is part of the package to "clean house" with the Mbox DISconnected. Reboot and open the CD, and run the 8 installer using Run as Admin., but DO NOT connect the Mbox when asked. Just click on OKAY and let it finish and reboot. Then run the 8.0.5 updater and connect the Mbox when the updater asks for it. If that fails, uninstall and start over and run as admin, with Vista SP1 compatibility selected(follow the same rules as above). If all this fails, post a Sandra so we can see if your new computer is compatible

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-09-2012, 02:39 PM

Default Re: Windows 7, pluging in Mbox2 Mini (digi...not avid) causes blue screen

I've always uninstalled from the cd with the box disconnected, but I'll try again when I have time. I thought I had to upgrade to 8.0.5 from .3....I didn't know I could skip all of them and just go up from the cd install (which is the original release of 8).

I'll have to download sandra later this week, I'm kind of busy for the next few days but I can give you a brief outline of the computer.

Dell xps 8300
i7 2600k 3.4gHz (turbo boost disabled)
16 Gigs ram
Ati radeon 6870
sound blaster xfi titanium (irrelevant, I know)
c: 1.5 Gig (2x7200rpm 650gig in RAID 0)
e: 500 Gig Glyph 050q (recording drive)

My biggest concern is that the RAID is throwing the installer off, I really don't feel like reinstalling my entire os.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtman26 View Post
I've always uninstalled from the cd with the box disconnected, but I'll try again when I have time. I thought I had to upgrade to 8.0.5 from .3....I didn't know I could skip all of them and just go up from the cd install (which is the original release of 8).

I'll have to download sandra later this week, I'm kind of busy for the next few days but I can give you a brief outline of the computer.

Dell xps 8300
i7 2600k 3.4gHz (turbo boost disabled)
16 Gigs ram
Ati radeon 6870
sound blaster xfi titanium (irrelevant, I know)
c: 1.5 Gig (2x7200rpm 650gig in RAID 0)
e: 500 Gig Glyph 050q (recording drive)

My biggest concern is that the RAID is throwing the installer off, I really don't feel like reinstalling my entire os.
Raid is not supported for PT, so that may be the issue

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-12-2012, 05:34 PM

So, I've decided that it has absolutely NOTHING to do with PT and is entirely a usb driver issue. Pro tools will install without a hitch if I don't connect the mbox. As soon as I plug it in before I launch PT I get the usbhub.sys error. The odd thing is...if I have my devices panel open, it shows up as an Mbox, and then I get the error. When I launch PT without the box connected and then connect it when it asks, blue screen. I'm just gonna mess around with uninstalling just the driver and see if anything works.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:51 PM

Actually, I have a new theory....I just MAY be a retard. I'll let you know as soon as I get home...
Old 04-14-2012, 06:46 AM

Ok, so I'm not getting a blue screen any more when I plug it in (The usb ports on the front of my computer are set up like a hub...hence the error....so I made sure I plugged it into the pci ports...i.e. i'm a retard) but when I look in the device manager it says "unknown device". I checked the properties and it says:

General
Type: sound, blah blah blah
Manufacturer: Avid

Then in device status it says there isn't a driver installed. When I click on the driver tab i see this:

Driver Provider: Avid
Driver date: 10/08/10
Driver Version: 5.10.0.6004
Digital Signer: Avid Technology, Inc