Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 09-19-2007, 11:24 AM

Default Xpand or Structure Free?

I wondered if anyone using Xpand and Structure Free has any opinions on the relative merits of one over the other. I downloaded Xpand when it became available and was impressed by its sounds and ease of use. With the release of Structure Free I was surprised to see Digi develop a program which on the surface is somewhat redundant. I realize one is a 'sample player' while the other is a 'sample-playback/synthesis workstation'. Is it worthwhile to download Structure Free as well? Also are we to see Xpand phased out in favor of the Structure family?
Old 09-19-2007, 12:48 PM

Default Re: Xpand or Structure Free?

ive used xpand, which is brilliantly simple to use, and ive watched all the videos on using structure. it may seem redundant as far as features go, especially since i have kontakt and reason. but it integrates really well in the PTLE workflow. and is so much more stable than kontakt
Old 09-19-2007, 02:03 PM

Both are excellent and worth downloading. For free plugs they are fabulous.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 09-19-2007, 07:38 PM

I'm with sunburst79 on this one, though you must be aware that Structure Free only has a maximum of four instantiations per session with a polyphony count of 64 respectively. So, in other words, on average, that's four Parts (one or two Patches) times four. Very easy to max out. Where as Xpand! has four Parts per instantiation, but is only limited by the amount of instances your system can handle. On the other hand, Structure (Structure Free) is a sampler, though, somewhat limited in sample editing, however, you do have access to encrypted and third party sample libraries, but there goes your polyphony right out the window.

Though, working intelligently can turn the results your seeking.

filosofem