Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2014, 08:20 AM

Default Using AAF and Poly BWAVs with FTP

Does anyone know if using a FTP to transfer AAFs and Poly BWAV files effects them adversely? I'm having major issues conforming field recordings to an AAF and am wondering if using an FTP can be a problem.

Thanks!
Old 07-09-2014, 08:32 AM

Default Re: Using AAF and Poly BWAVs with FTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecRoom View Post
Does anyone know if using a FTP to transfer AAFs and Poly BWAV files effects them adversely? I'm having major issues conforming field recordings to an AAF and am wondering if using an FTP can be a problem.

Thanks!
First check what's in the meta-data (PT browser, show all columns). You need tape/roll info and TC as a minimum requirement in both the AVID and original BWAV media for it to work smoothly.

If it's there it rather some wrong setting in the match criteria.

If it's not there you can investigate why.

frank.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:16 PM

Thanks Frank, ok so it's not the FTP.

The TCs seem to be right but there's no soundroll information on the PolyWavs so that's maybe the issue. It's a show with 4 acts and the first act seems to sync up fine but the last 3 are no good. Trying to sort it out with the editors.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:50 PM

If there aren't any in the originals the recordist didn't setup his machine correctly.
If they were not in the BWAVs they won't be in the AVID either.

You could try and reference to clip names instead. Of course it will only work if the recordist entered scene and take names during the shoot.

tons of options to mess things up ;-)
Old 07-09-2014, 03:12 PM

Well, there's Roll names in the AAF media. What I think happened is the recordist sent a line mix to one of the cameras and the editors cut to that.

And of course there's scene and take info in the BWAVs but not in the AAF. Uggh.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecRoom View Post
Well, there's Roll names in the AAF media. What I think happened is the recordist sent a line mix to one of the cameras and the editors cut to that.

And of course there's scene and take info in the BWAVs but not in the AAF. Uggh.
Sound like a job for EdiLoad (provided there's at least some info in the video clip-names)
Old 07-10-2014, 04:44 AM

Quote:
What I think happened is the recordist sent a line mix to one of the cameras and the editors cut to that.
Oh oh! I had exactly the same thing happen to me on a very low budget feature.

I sent it back to the editor and got them to conform it in whatever they cut it on. Its their **** up.

Hand syncing multiple clips is not anyone's idea of fun!
Old 07-13-2014, 10:16 AM

Since the Sound Roll name is in the AAF (MXF) media is there identical Sound Roll info in the Production Audio. If yes, you might be able to use the Field Recorder Match Tracks functionality in Pro Tools. That, of course, assumes that the Sound Roll time code info is accurate (meaning it is identical to the Original Time Stamp in Pro Tools). When the Match Criteria is set to Sound Roll, Pro Tools uses the Sound Roll TC info to match; when set to Tape Name, Pro Tools uses the Original Time Stamp to match.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:55 AM

Unfortunately the sound roll data on the AAF is not the same as on the production audio. The TC seems to match up, however I believe the TC on the camera and the TC on the field recorders are of differing frame rates. I'm going to try and use tape name, thanks for the tip.