Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 05-03-2004, 02:54 PM

Default HOW MANY PRO TOOLS USERS VS CUBASE VS LOGIC VS DP?

Hi, I was wondering if somebody can tell me where I can get statistics on how many Pro Tools users there are in this world? Also, how many Cubase users? Can somebody point me to the right direction please??
Old 05-03-2004, 02:58 PM

Default Re: HOW MANY PRO TOOLS USERS VS CUBASE VS LOGIC VS DP?

Well there's 10 of us here to start with.

Not sure there's any more...
Old 05-03-2004, 03:01 PM

As far as Pro Audio is, I am pretty sure PT takes 1st place.
Old 05-03-2004, 03:27 PM

count me in for both PT & cubase...
Old 05-03-2004, 04:07 PM

Pro Tools has gotta be first followed by Logic and Cubase/Nuendo second. Just my quess. But me I use SawStudio and sometimes Cubase SX. I'm waiting for a (new) PCI version of PT LE for under a grand. Have you seen the E Mu PCI cards that have the same converters as PT HD hardware? If they can do this then so can Digi. But until then I am VERY happy with SAW. Oh, and how about an updated free PT?
Old 05-03-2004, 04:11 PM

I would say in the US, it's mostly PT or Logic. This also depends on what area of audio we're talking about. Sound for film, post-production and major studio multitracking, it's PT hands-down. For the more midi-based musician and film composers, Logic and DP seem to be the ones. In many cases, it's a combination of both PT and something else.

In Europe, specifically the UK, Cubase and Logic are more widespread, with PT LE catching up at a rapid rate. I base this on all the artist and engineer interviews I read in Sound On Sound and Future Music for the past 4 years. Most home musos and pros alike are making killer material with a [bleep] pc and Cubase, even Atari is still being used by some (tight sequencing).

Furthermore, don't discount Ableton Live as one of the main apps. It's on it's way to join the big 4. I know many people who use it as their main sequencer nowadays, as it's so brilliant.

Just goes to show you, software is just software, bells and whistles will always be added with each upgrade, but it's the person using it that makes the difference.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:22 PM

Quote:
I would say in the US, it's mostly PT or Logic. This also depends on what area of audio we're talking about. Sound for film, post-production and major studio multitracking, it's PT hands-down. For the more midi-based musician and film composers, Logic and DP seem to be the ones. In many cases, it's a combination of both PT and something else.

In Europe, specifically the UK, Cubase and Logic are more widespread, with PT LE catching up at a rapid rate. I base this on all the artist and engineer interviews I read in Sound On Sound and Future Music for the past 4 years. Most home musos and pros alike are making killer material with a [bleep] pc and Cubase, even Atari is still being used by some (tight sequencing).

Furthermore, don't discount Ableton Live as one of the main apps. It's on it's way to join the big 4. I know many people who use it as their main sequencer nowadays, as it's so brilliant.

Just goes to show you, software is just software, bells and whistles will always be added with each upgrade, but it's the person using it that makes the difference.

Abelton is very nice, I like to add some of the effects in live to some of my samples.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:15 PM

I've been sequencing on my Trition. I was hoping i could use ProTools to sequence in, but by the time i get a session going, all my creative juices are gone and it's a pain in the ace.

I have a copy of Cubase SX 2.0 I'm trying, but haven't really devoted any time to it.

What would someone recommend if I wanted to try something a little more user friendly for sequencing....Turbo Phatt, Trition Studio, MS2000r?

I really only know of Sonar, Cubase, and Logic as the top tools, and someone mentioned SAW???

I generally lay down a 4 - 8 measure loop then spread it out to 64 measures, then build by deleting and adding customized parts to transition to various parts of the song.

Thanks,

DK
Old 05-04-2004, 01:11 AM

I used to do that with Cubase when I was back at college. Must give it a go again.

Our Cubase tutor was a real whizz. He had this trick where he's say, "What CDs you got on you? Give me one. Pick a number." He's play the track, "Aw that's crap. Give me another number.. ..that's better." He'd chop some stuff out, and within five minutes he'd have knocked up something interesting. We'd just stand there with our mouths hanging open, "Steve... can you do that again? Only this time slowly."
Old 05-04-2004, 05:45 AM

Quote:
count me in for both PT & cubase...

DaB, could you describe your various setups, reasons for having both, pros/cons, etc.? thanks!

bp