Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2005, 05:31 PM

Default Re: SUPPORT FOR DIGI001 UNDER OS X 10.4 \"TIGER\"

I really hated to do it, but after much consideration, I've removed my Digi-001 from my studio PC. It had been running in my G4 for a year, but I migrated it to the PC last summer when I sold my G4. I picked up a new G4 around Xmas, and have been using it with an Mbox. It has been really handy to mix at home in LE 6.4 then swing a firewire drive to the studio when I needed to lay down tracks. But Digidesign's refusal to support the Digi-001 further, plus the slew of issues that always arise when Apple & Microsoft upgrade their software, have made the Digidesign platform a pain in the wazoo to maintain. As I'm called to upgrade my systems to troubleshoot in a testing environment before my clients upgrade their systems, it's been difficult to maintain a stable ProTools environment. Well, I guess it's somewhat my fault; if I were to just leave things as they were, I'd be all right -- stuck in the past like the Flinstones, but stable. And now I simply refuse to be held hostage to an older OS and software by Digidesign. Surely upgrading coreaudio drivers for the 001 would not take too many resources away from a company who until recently has owned the DAW market.

Fact is, I'm tired of letting Digidesign hold me back from OS upgrades. Sure, there's issues with other DAW hardware & software manufacturers -- as an owner of Cubase SX and Logic Pro, I've seen my share of debilitating frustrations. It's just that Digidesign has some worthy competition now, and their archaic policies of freezing driver versions and discontinuing well-suited hardware like the Digi-001 have become a burden I no longer wish to bear. I'm the kind of guy who gets excited at new offerings from Apple and Native Instruments; aren't I the prosumer/hobbyist that Digi should be courting?

It was difficult to decide upon a new audio interface. The 001 has a lot to like -- 8 analog ins and outs, optical ins and outs, 1U footprint, self-powered through cable. And the 002 was just SO much more money than I wanted to spend since the 001 works just fine (with the requisite hardware/software). Plus getting an 002 means deciding on a piece of gear to remove from my rack, since it's full. In the end, I just could not justify spending $800 through the exchange program to get a device that is only 96khz, when the total cost for a 192khz Emu audio interface is been around $500. Even the M-Audio solutions cost more money, since they would require purchasing yet another version of ProTools.

I'm testing my new Emu Emulator X w/ audio dock next week. Kind of thrilled about it -- DSP power for running effects and 120db signal to noise ratio -- but I know it will be a bit frustrating to leave the friendly LE 6.4 confines. I don't like the fact that the Emu box is not a full 1U device; when plugging in a bunch of cables to an interface, the last thing I want is some loose piece of hardware that could be pulled off the desk. Thankfully there's a simple and cheap solution known as Velcro. I'll still hang on to my MBox so I can access legacy ProTools files.

Frankly, I think Digi would do better to bundle a low-end version of PT with all the M-audio interfaces. Heck, limit support to 16 tracks! They'll end up losing future purchases as the competition continues to heat up further.
Old 05-27-2005, 08:44 PM

Tired topic, this horse is now dead...
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

No offense, you're entitled to your opinion and a little venting does feel good from time to time, it's just that...
Old 05-27-2005, 09:13 PM

If I see one more post from a complainer about Digi leaving the 001 behind, I am going to puke.

Do a search. Read the hundreds of other posts on this topic.

Or, be thankful that the 001 has had such amazing longevity, keep using it in Panther and go write some music.

Enough already.
2xMacPro 2.66,002r,OSX 10.4.10,PT 7.4cs8
3xVisionDaw,NI Komplete,Yamaha 01V/96
Old 05-27-2005, 11:03 PM

Please let this die. Everything just got out of hand and needless last time. I'm a Digi 001 user too. I made my case on this , already, in this thread Support for 001 Users petition, and I almost regret having done it. I still don't know how it got out of hand, but it did. Let's move on if it happens, it happens, if not, do what I'm gonna do, work with what you've got until you find something you want to upgrade to. Not upgrading for upgrading's sake I hope. There are folks that do a lot of good work with MBoxes which have the same sample rates, same # of Pre Amps, fewer inputs and outputs by far. Yeah I know they also have a better version of Pro Tools and are going to get their Tiger Support. Oh well. Life Goes on. If we get Tiger support we get it, If not we don't. I think there are alot of good reasons we should but I'm sick of talking about it besides. Best case scenario, we get Tiger Support for the same version of Pro Tools we're already using.