Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2008, 01:32 PM

Default want to use minimoog LP tribute as MIDI controller

My minimoog is able to trigger sounds from Xpand! but the make and model aren't available in the MIDI studio setup. I'm sure this is pretty straightforward but I'm wondering why I can't set this up as my controller. Are specific driver's necessary? I'd like to use it's presets as patches as well and obviously this is not possible until it can be recognized. Also why can Xpand! be triggered even though there is no instrument at all in the MIDI studio setup? I'm new to this obviously and just need some info. Thanks everyone.
RAM: 4 gigs kingston DDRII
drives: 2 dedicated 500GB Seagate SATAII (7200RPM) and 160GB seagate SATAII (system)
Windows XP professional
Pro-Tools 7.4cs5
003 Factory
Old 08-06-2008, 02:22 PM

How do you have the LP plugged in?

MIDI studio setup is not necessary at to use any device as just a controller, nor to select patches. It only allows more useful and recognizable naming when selecting the controller and/or the patch. The device's ports will still be selectable if you don't set it up in MIDI studio setup. Patches can still be changed (by number only) if you don't set it up in MIDI Studio Setup.

To have the device appear in MIDI Studio Setup, and to have patch names instead of numbers, you will need to find or create a .midname file (and if on a PC find or create a .middev file) for your device. There's a "Sticky" at the top of this MIDI forum that explains it.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 08-06-2008, 03:21 PM

So maybe this problem goes deeper than I thought. Basically MIDI worked for Xpand before and in the MIDI studio setup I couldn't select moog as a make but I could select input and output ports on my 003. Then suddenly even though the MIDI in light would flash no level would register and in the MIDI studio setup both ports only had a "none" option. I uninstalled and reinstalled PT and that seemed to do the trick until I went back upstairs to do some toubleshooting and the same thing happened again. I'm assuming it's a driver problem and when I installed PT a warning dialogue appeared stating that "windows logo testing" hadn't been complete and when I clicked ok and continued with installation, it said "there was a problem with the new hardware..etc..it might not work properly". I assumed the logo testing wasnt a problem because some ppl on the forum said it was no big deal, but could this be the issue?

I'll also check that sticky and the routing was simply LP midi out to 003 midi in and 003 midi out 1 to LP midi in.

Thanks for the help. Very much appreciated.
drives: 2 dedicated 500GB Seagate SATAII (7200RPM) and 160GB seagate SATAII (system)
Windows XP professional
Pro-Tools 7.4cs5
003 Factory
Old 08-06-2008, 03:23 PM

(and the audio outs into an aux track to monitor)
Windows XP professional
Pro-Tools 7.4cs5
003 Factory
Old 08-07-2008, 07:01 AM

You complicating things and confusing yourself by involving the MIDI Studio Setup.

Forget about MIDI Studio Setup for now, OK? As I mentioned before, it is not necessary to do what you need to do; it only offers a level of convenience with more recognizable names.

Now, back to your (new) main problem (which you didn't really mention at first); you have the LP plugged in VIA MIDI cables to the 003, and sometimes MIDI works, and sometimes it doesn't?

That sounds like some other program is interfering with the MIDI drivers (MMERefresh) for the 003.

Doesn't the LP have a USB connector? Or am I getting confused with the newer model?

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 08-07-2008, 10:30 AM

I understand how the MIDI studio setup is not relevant, I'm just mentioning it because it suggests that the issue is midi-driver related (along with the "problem with new hardware" and "device drivers didn't pass logo testing" dialogues during installation). The LP is connected with MIDI cables and there's no USB option. The MMERefresh is the only startup item as explained in the troubleshooting thread. Basically MIDI worked for the first little while I was using pro tools (only used MIDI for about a week) then when I tried using it again (a few months later) I encountered this problem. I uninstalled/reinstalled PT yesterday and it started to work again but a few hours later the problem was back, so clearly that wasn't the fix. Thanks again for your help. I'll try to be more clear in my wording.
Windows XP professional
Pro-Tools 7.4cs5
003 Factory