Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 01-23-2014, 06:07 AM

Default Re: G-Force are not porting their instrument plugins to AAX in the foreseeable future

Well I fully sympathise with G-Force's position. As a small company, they worked hard to get 64bit versions of their software released. These updates were delivered free of charge.

They decided that they need to work on new products next, in order to generate income.

AAX porting is not totally rejected by them, it's just very low on their radar in terms of priorities.

In any case, it seems that pro tools users form a very small percentage of G-Force software users, just 3% if I remember what they told me.

And, for not much cost, various workarounds will do the job nicely for those Pro Tools users who can't live without the likes of impOSCar, M-Tron Pro, Virtual String Machine, etc.
Pro Tools 2018, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 10, Wavelab Pro 9.5, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 01-23-2014, 06:29 AM

Default Re: G-Force are not porting their instrument plugins to AAX in the foreseeable future

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post
Well I fully sympathise with G-Force's position. As a small company, they worked hard to get 64bit versions of their software released. These updates were delivered free of charge.

They decided that they need to work on new products next, in order to generate income.

AAX porting is not totally rejected by them, it's just very low on their radar in terms of priorities.

In any case, it seems that pro tools users form a very small percentage of G-Force software users, just 3% if I remember what they told me.

And, for not much cost, various workarounds will do the job nicely for those Pro Tools users who can't live without the likes of impOSCar, M-Tron Pro, Virtual String Machine, etc.
I'd say aax64 bit port is totally rejected by G-Force. They were trying to take the easy way out via the now-defunct Sugarbytes wrapper and that bit G-Force in the butt. I'm thinking they didn't or don't have the technical expertise to do the job and may just stay with the plugin formats they're used to coding for and we may not even see aax64 for any new plugs either.

QAPLA!
Old 01-23-2014, 05:03 PM

You may be right musicman...

However, I can say that I gleaned my information from talking directly with Dave Spiers, one of the two main guys behind G-Force, prior to the 64bit versions of their existing plugins being released.

Having contacted him to find out what the score was, I even did some beta-testing of the 64bit plugins for Dave in the weeks leading up to their release. Not that I found any problems, by that stage they were pretty much release ready.

As an ex OSCar owner (from new), who was foolishly persuaded to sell it, to my eternal regret, I have a special interest in using impOSCar. Having an AAX version would be great for me.

But I do understand and sympathise (a lot) with G-Force's situation. And the workarounds do work, whether as an interim, or permanent, solution.
Pro Tools 2018, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 10, Wavelab Pro 9.5, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:41 AM

Jeez...
Use the VST-versions through Blue Cat's MB-7 Mixer in PT11.
Works perfectly fine. Stop whining
Old 01-24-2014, 01:58 AM

podusa ... that's exactly what I'm doing and it works fine.

My recent posts were in defence of G-Force's position, they just have other irons in the fire and other fish to fry at the moment.

G-Force HAS NOT said NEVER to AAX porting, they've just said that until they've finished work on 'some new exciting products' they can't devote any time to it, having spent a lot of time completing the 64bit ports. After the new products are released, they'll assess the viability for them as a company in doing AAX ports.

To me, for a small company like G-Force, and given that a workaround exists, it seems fair enough as a business strategy.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post
podusa ... that's exactly what I'm doing and it works fine.

My recent posts were in defence of G-Force's position, they just have other irons in the fire and other fish to fry at the moment.

G-Force HAS NOT said NEVER to AAX porting, they've just said that until they've finished work on 'some new exciting products' they can't devote any time to it, having spent a lot of time completing the 64bit ports. After the new products are released, they'll assess the viability for them as a company in doing AAX ports.

To me, for a small company like G-Force, and given that a workaround exists, it seems fair enough as a business strategy.
As I said earlier if you really read what G-Force is saying they're copping out and not doing aax64 for old stuff. Same thing basically that fxpansion did - no aax64 ports for old stuff; only new stuff is going aax64. G-Force is relying on Advil to lessen the pain of a broken leg instead of fixing it.

QAPLA!