Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2005, 05:11 PM

Default which mixer for hd stereo or stereo dithered

Just curious as to which mixer you guys are using with your hd rig amd why. Yes, there is a stereo and a stereo dithered mixer for hd...check your unsed plug ins folder.

ej
Old 08-16-2005, 10:23 PM

Default Re: which mixer for hd stereo or stereo dithered

Everyone has their personal thoughts on what to use. As simple as it seems try using your ears, do a AB test and trust yourself. There are so many variables that it is too hard to suggest. At some point you will need to dither your mix if you are converting down to a lower sample rate,.... Everyone I know uses something different for dithering, some don't do it at all, thus my suggestion to use your own ears and compare with pears. Start a local breakfast club of engineers, share tricks, compare ideas and you will find your way. I use Waves plug in's to do my dithering, Others love PT others apogee, as conversions and some use PT dither mixer for their dithering, I hope this helps. I use the regular mixer in Hd, not the dither one!

[email protected]
Intel duel Quad core
PT 8.0cs3
HD4
D Command / D control
Old 08-17-2005, 05:27 AM

Quote:
At some point you will need to dither your mix if you are converting down to a lower sample rate,....
I think Kurt actually meant when you change BIT-DEPTH and not SAMPLE RATE, i.e. from 24bit down to 16bit. Even so, dithering should ONLY happen ONCE in the chain and at the LAST POSSIBLE moment. If you're not sure what's going to happen with your mixes when they leave your hands, then DON'T DITHER!

IMHO

Old 08-17-2005, 06:57 AM

He's refering to the 4 Mixer options which include a stereo, stereo ditehred and surround mixers. It is the plugin that defaults your session and must be placed in the Plug-ins folder from the Unused plugins folder.

i have not heard a difference but then again I record loud distorted guitars. The test should be done on castanets or an oboe. I have heard that it is adviseable to use the dithered mixer since the internal bit depth is 48 but the files are truncated to 24. This is supposed to give a less distorted file but at 24 bits I do not believe the distortion to be audible anyways.
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12