Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 12-07-2019, 06:53 AM

Default navigating inst. patches from keyboard

I'm frustrated by the inconvenience of navigating patches in Falcon and other VIs (specifically while playing). Say I'm playing from a midi keyboard and want to switch to the next preset. I have to stop playing and mouse/click to change to the next patch. Is there any way to assign the function to a button on my controller or a key on my computer keyboard? BOTH would be preferable to mousing to the little arrows next to program names in the VI.

System 2: Pro Tools 23.9 (no Hardware), Mac OS 13.2.1, MBP (Macbook Air M2, 2022 24Gig Ram)
Old 12-07-2019, 10:41 AM

Default Re: navigating inst. patches from keyboard

Not that I know of. Besides not every vi exposes it's patch change to the outside world. And even if it did you'd be stuck with whatever patch is next or previous - you wouldn't be able to jump around at random.

However having one of the NI keyboards and NKS compatible plugins would help. You could still navigate by way of your musical keyboard. You still have to take a hand off the keys to make your choices and for get about changing patches while still playing and get smooth audio.

QAPLA!
Old 12-14-2019, 03:08 PM

If you click on the folder icon, next to the patch + & - buttons on the VI, it will open a folder showing all the available patches.

From there, you can set an interval (in seconds) for how frequently it automatically switches presets, or alternatively use the arrow keys on the computer keyboard to manually select presets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-14-2019, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Kolchak View Post
If you click on the folder icon, next to the patch + & - buttons on the VI, it will open a folder showing all the available patches.

From there, you can set an interval (in seconds) for how frequently it automatically switches presets, or alternatively use the arrow keys on the computer keyboard to manually select presets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The op doesn't want to have to do the patch changes from the computer but from whatever musical keyboard he's using. And as I said you're restricted to whatever patch is next - you can't just jump around.

QAPLA!