Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 02-24-2020, 02:22 PM

Default Re: How do you use an analog mixer with Protools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiffVomit View Post
Hello all! I am recently running into something almost exactly the same. I want to use my Yamaha MG16 in conjunction with Pro tools. Someone once said routing from mic / line source to the main channel input that running from the inserts to the interface(s) would work, and I found that they do ok if I’m doing like a studio recording and not running the mixer through my power amps for vocals, etc. when trying to do a “live recording”. When I attempt this with a “live” recording for a band, the inserts mute my main outputs and monitor outs for whatever channel I have the insert plugged into. Right now I’m basically summing them from the aux. sends (1 & 2) to two inputs on the interface as a stereo track and that’s where and what it prints. Is there another way to do this and still hear what the band needs through the PA while ensuring I can get each channel into and individual track for mixing and edit purposes? I’m currently running PT19 with a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 and Octo Pre. Any advice would be highly appreciated!
This is only my opinion(been in this game for 30+ years) and the reason is based on the fact that you asked the question(IMHO, not knowing how or why, is a really good reason to NOT do it). Please understand that I have no wish to offend anyone with my advice

I would not use the Yamaha at all, unless I wanted/needed to submix a few things down to a stereo pair due to input limitations. The Focusrite you have is capable of 18 inputs and I'm guessing that it's 8 analog mic preamps, 8 channels on lightpipe(at 44.1 or 48K) and 2 channels on SPDIF? How many live inputs do you need at any one time? I bet 16 will cover things, so buy an 8-channel lightpipe preamp. At the "budget" price, the Behringer ADA8200 probably sounds just as good as the Focusrite preamps(for all of $200). While you could spend upwards of $3K or more, the sweet spot for me is the Midas XL48(around $900). Its sounds spectacular for drums

How the band hears is as simple as routing a few headphone mixes out thru any of several options for headphone amps. My favorite "budget" solution being the ART HeadAmp Pro 6. That can do as simple as a single stereo mix(the same mix as your Pro Tools session), a basic mix for all, with "more me" with some AUX sends, or 4 separate stereo mixes(again, from AUX sends in the session) by using 8 of the 10 analog outputs on the Focusrite. If you spend a little time getting headphone mixes good for the players, save that session as a band template so each time you start a new session(and use inputs the same way) your headphone mixes will be pretty good, right from the start

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-24-2020, 03:48 PM

Thanks for the reply. My main concern would be to put on like a live show and capture that as a live recording. I would use the console to EQ the signal a bit before it hits PT tracks but have them come through as individual tracks. Right now I seem to only be able to send through the Aux sends 1 & 2 giving me one stereo track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2020, 05:41 PM

Quote:
My main concern would be to put on like a live show and capture that as a live recording. I would use the console to EQ the signal a bit before it hits PT tracks but have them come through as individual tracks. Right now I seem to only be able to send through the Aux sends 1 & 2 giving me one stereo track.
You need to use Direct Outs of your console, and check for manual if it is pre-eq or post-eq (might need to open it to change behaviour). If it cannot be done on your console and the direct outs are pre-eq always, then you are out of luck regarding eq but can still use preamps of the console. If the preamps are not that good, rent a splitter and record from there with better preamps.

Also just stating the obvious; after the show is started, do not touch the preamp gain and be careful with eq tweaks.
Old 02-24-2020, 06:48 PM

Thanks. Yeah, what I’m seeing is all pre-EQ so defeats the purpose of what I wanna do. However, it seems using a TRS to TSF adapter may solve my issue. Maybe find out tomorrow.

Old 02-25-2020, 04:17 PM

Using the correct tool for the job is always a good idea, and the Yamaha isn't the correct tool. Using a mixer that allows for easy multi-tracking would seem to make more sense. Behringer X32(including the smaller versions or the rack version) patched into a computer would allow you direct multi-track recording into any DAW to get a live performance into the box(the same can be said for many other brands of affordable digital mixers. The X32 is just an example). Once the files are in the computer, Pro Tools(or any other DAW) will allow you to edit and mix as you wish. Yes, its money to spend, but its also the way to reach the desired goal

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-25-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Behringer X32
Generally speaking I would recommend staying away from that brand, but X32 is effectively Midas M32 in disguise so this one is one of the few good products of the B brand.
Old 02-25-2020, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Generally speaking I would recommend staying away from that brand, but X32 is effectively Midas M32 in disguise so this one is one of the few good products of the B brand.

Thanks everyone. The consoles you recommend would be nice and hopefully attainable in the future. For now, I’m trying to make do with what I have. I appreciate all the feedback and will definitely check back in when I get the chance to get my hands on one.

Old 02-25-2020, 06:50 PM

**update**

Using the inserts worked for my purpose. I have at least something to work with now. Thank you all!

Old 03-01-2020, 11:18 PM

Quote:
**update**

Using the inserts worked for my purpose. I have at least something to work with now. Thank you all!
Same! Thank you all!!
Old 03-02-2020, 10:53 AM

One of the very best things you can do with an analog mixer is to send your headphone mix along with an analog split of the microphone to a small, even really cheap mixer. This totally eliminates the issue of monitor latency so you can always use the largest buffer. Eliminating all latency can improve performances to a surprising extent. It requires muting the signal being recorded from the headphone mix. This can be accomplished automagically using the mute-o-matic plug-in. https://www.soundradix.com/products/muteomatic/