Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 11-27-2018, 04:14 PM

Default Re: Resurrecting Mbox PT LE (Win XP)

Ugh now we have the tail wagging the cat. I would not put an old PC and OS in front of students unless I could avoid it. A school may have access to computers already, preferred OSes/versions etc. At least I would check. It's not only support, ideally I would pick a rough OS version the kids are used to. And ideally they should be using an Avid education discount licensing and working on recent products.

For a small fee I'll fly to Sweden pick up Christoper's 2i2 and hand carry it to Australia...
Old 11-28-2018, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Ugh now we have the tail wagging the cat. I would not put an old PC and OS in front of students unless I could avoid it. A school may have access to computers already, preferred OSes/versions etc. At least I would check. It's not only support, ideally I would pick a rough OS version the kids are used to. And ideally they should be using an Avid education discount licensing and working on recent products.

For a small fee I'll fly to Sweden pick up Christoper's 2i2 and hand carry it to Australia...
What sort of small fee?

I should change the title of this thread to "looking for MBox replacement for under $250"

What would be the best option for that sort of money and will it include software of some sort?

cheers

(the students will be setting this up outside of school, in a roughly made up home studio so its not part of the curriculum. It's an area of Australia is lacking resources and has poverty issues)
Old 11-28-2018, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBox XP View Post
What sort of small fee?

I should change the title of this thread to "looking for MBox replacement for under $250"

What would be the best option for that sort of money and will it include software of some sort?

cheers
Already answered that...

Get Pro Tools with an education discount... If you really want to expose them to Pro Tools.

Mbox replacement... Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. Look at the 2i2 and see if it will do what you need. Take Christopher's offer or buy one locally with no shipping/import hassles.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:27 AM

Sounds like the way to go.

It appears that the MBox/Pro Tools gang were influenced by the disposable razor industry - at least in the early 2000's anyway.

cheers
Old 11-28-2018, 07:16 AM

And if Pro Tools is not necessary, Mackie has some interfaces that come with Traktion, Steinberg with Cubase LE, or an inexpensive interface with Reaper or Harrison Mixbus or even DaVinci Resolve are options, even Audacity, which is free. The amount of I/O required will dictate the size of interface to get.

Just throwing out some options other than Pro Tools, especially if you're on a tight budget.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 11-28-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
And if Pro Tools is not necessary, Mackie has some interfaces that come with Traktion, Steinberg with Cubase LE, or an inexpensive interface with Reaper or Harrison Mixbus or even DaVinci Resolve are options, even Audacity, which is free. The amount of I/O required will dictate the size of interface to get.

Just throwing out some options other than Pro Tools, especially if you're on a tight budget.
I think I will take advice from "The Weed" and look into these alternatives.

many thanks.
Old 11-28-2018, 03:15 PM

Leave you with this little piece of recording trivia....

A 1971 recording console from Abbey Roads Studios in London, was sold in 2017 at Bonham's Auctions for a record world price for a piece of technology £1,441,842 (beating the previous record of £718,000 paid for the Apple 1 computer in 2014)

The Pink Floyd classic album, Dark Side of the Moon was recorded on this console that had the following specifications:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
40 channels with limiter/compressor on each, 4 echo returns and 16 monitors, MK3 feature cassettes, track monitor cassettes, dual channel 16 track sync mixer, two banks of 12 pairs of microphone channels, 8 pairs of main channels to centre section, monitor level controls for tracks 1-8 on left and 9-16 on right side, Ernest Turner manufactured VU meters comprising 16 full size VU meters and approximately 50 channel VUs, quadrant radial faders by Painton, with approximately 1600 capacitors (many original), housed in the original semi-wrap-around frame made of block board with teak and mahogany veneer.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Abbey Roads Dark Side Console 1971.jpg (95.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-28-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Leave you with this little piece of recording trivia....

A 1971 recording console from Abbey Roads Studios in London, was sold in 2017 at Bonham's Auctions for a record world price for a piece of technology £1,441,842 (beating the previous record of £718,000 paid for the Apple 1 computer in 2014)

The Pink Floyd classic album, Dark Side of the Moon was recorded on this console that had the following specifications:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
40 channels with limiter/compressor on each, 4 echo returns and 16 monitors, MK3 feature cassettes, track monitor cassettes, dual channel 16 track sync mixer, two banks of 12 pairs of microphone channels, 8 pairs of main channels to centre section, monitor level controls for tracks 1-8 on left and 9-16 on right side, Ernest Turner manufactured VU meters comprising 16 full size VU meters and approximately 50 channel VUs, quadrant radial faders by Painton, with approximately 1600 capacitors (many original), housed in the original semi-wrap-around frame made of block board with teak and mahogany veneer.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

And just announced; The Helios console that tracked Stairway To Heaven and a boatload of other major artists of that era, is being auctioned off very soon(also a Bonhams auction) I know what I'd like for Christmas, but Santa sure can't fit it down the chimney
cheers

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-29-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
And just announced; The Helios console that tracked Stairway To Heaven and a boatload of other major artists of that era, is being auctioned off very soon(also a Bonhams auction) I know what I'd like for Christmas, but Santa sure can't fit it down the chimney
cheers
Could sell for more. Many of these relics and important items are purchased by investors and speculators as well as enthusiasts and museums etc. The most expensive book ever auctioned was the Palimpsest of Archimedes - badly damaged and in fragile conditions, it sold to a private buyer for 2 million dollars plus 20% for Christie's Auctions. The Greek government (1.9 million) was out bid by a private secret bidder who donated the 1000_ year old manuscript to a University for analysis. (The buyer has only been recently identified as Jeff Bezos, head of Amazon)

There is currently a new trial on copyright lawsuit with regards to "Stairway to Heaven". It relates to a guitar section from a song written by the late Spirit guitarist Randy Wolfe. Apparently Led Zeppelin toured with Spirit in the early 1970s and Spirit were playing a song called Taurus which contained a similar guitar melody. I have heard it, and the similarity is there but only for a small fraction of the music. Interesting to see how this lawsuit progresses.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/stairwa...it-2018-09-28/
Old 11-29-2018, 06:56 PM

Quote:

There is currently a new trial on copyright lawsuit with regards to "Stairway to Heaven". It relates to a guitar section from a song written by the late Spirit guitarist Randy Wolfe. Apparently Led Zeppelin toured with Spirit in the early 1970s and Spirit were playing a song called Taurus which contained a similar guitar melody. I have heard it, and the similarity is there but only for a small fraction of the music. Interesting to see how this lawsuit progresses.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/stairwa...it-2018-09-28/

I thought this has been going on for awhile now....
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.