Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2014, 10:38 AM

Default Re: Anyone else here concerned with the lack of available DSP plugins?

There's a confusion here bout networking dsp. Networking has nothing to do with DSP. Networking is the ability to have your I/O in one room and the server (since it's not a dsp (dedicated signal processing) because it runs an os and is pretty much a pc) in the machine room. The Digigrid system is not a new system, in fact Focusrite came up with their version (non dsp) a lot faster, which also works with the HDX cards (allows you to connect the I/O straight into the HDX cards, through the rednet 5 box) but it doesn't have a dsp server like the digigrid does. So if in fact you wanted to have a networking system, it would possibly cost less to go with the rednet system than the Digigrid, as the Red system offers more I/O for a lesser cost and it also runs on the dante protocol while the Digigrid system which also uses it.

Now that the networking part is disambiguated, the DSP server, is just basically the same system they had with the live soundgrid system (which have been on the market for the live environment for a while now), which they updated to make it a bit more current hardware (see cpu, motherboard and ram capacity) side and incorporated it with the digico I/O boxes. But it's basically just a pc running a very lean OS, that host the soundgrid software inside the Digigrid boxe. And although the system has potential (but I wouldn't want to have to deal with it's routing latency) I don't expect it will get moving that much in the studio world. But hey, stranger things have happened! It's not their first foray in the studio DSP market, and they have a pitiful record there, if this doesn't pan out for them, they will have alienated even more their customers, even more so that have had gone through the APA downfall, and for what, get a cut in the studio dsp hardware market?

Wave-T.com
Old 06-18-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap View Post
At Gigabit ethernet you can run 400 audio channels or 200 at 96kHz
So they don't know whether it is 200 or 400, omg might just as well be 100 or 50
Old 06-18-2014, 11:08 AM

Manny, that 7500 HDX systems figure was last August. There was another Avid press release in March, and they listed the number as 11000 systems sold, which reinforces your point about how much money Waves could be making.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:12 AM

Even worst, from that document.

"SoundGrid has been well received and adopted in live sound across brands
but its route to the studio market through DigiGrid interfaces inevitably means
it has to deal with the dominance of Pro Tools. ‘Pro Tools is here to stay and it
will evolve — I don’t know how but I do know that you will be able to connect
it to DigiGrid,’ says Meir. ‘If you ask me where I think users will be investing"

Yeech.. no wonder it's not out yet, if they don't know how to complete what they say they were going to do? Just having a tongue in the cheek moment. But it's weird that in march 2014 when that interview was publicized, they still had not figured it out, two years after it was announced?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Manny, that 7500 HDX systems figure was last August. There was another Avid press release in March, and they listed the number as 11000 systems sold, which reinforces your point about how much money Waves could be making.
Yes you're right, I didn't remember the number from that release so I went back to the one I remembered

Right now they have a system that comes in competition to HDX, which will introduce unneeded latency over the HDX system, which you will have to use a low latency mixer in the digigrid system to be able to hear what you are doing while you are recording, which pretty much defeats the purpose of being able to monitor directly through plugins in the HDX system while you record. It's not out, it's not making money, and by this time the HDX system has gain traction, more plugins are being made which means that more people are adopting other plugin makers than waves, which will reduce the market they could have in the long run when their system finally comes out.. if it comes out. All of this means that if their system ever comes out, they will automatically lose a good proportion of the user base because they have waited too long to put it out, due to people adopting HDX, or the Apollo system for smaller needs. And if they decide to turn around and develop the plugins to be HDX compatible, they will also have lost a good size of the market because people may not be interested in paying the WUP (if not an other extra) when they have started to work and gotten used to new plugins which may even sound better than the older ones from Waves. There's a tone of compressors out there, some of which sounds much better than the one waves have and some of them like the 6030 from McDSP for example which is HDX ready, have more options and more flavors into one single plugins than pretty much the entire range of compressors waves have in their line up combined, and of course there's other types of plugins also. I'm not saying Waves don't have good plugins, I'm just saying that there are better plugins out there for most of what they have, but it comes down to actually getting them and using them until you find your sweet spot with them, and for people who have been using waves plugins for over a decades, that can be very hard to do to overcome the natural instinct they have forged over the years.

Wave-T.com
Old 06-18-2014, 03:02 PM

Hello,

If anyone cares, Michael Abbott has been using the Waves Digigrid stuff on The Voice live broadcasts.

Hugh
Old 06-18-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh-H View Post
Hello,

If anyone cares, Michael Abbott has been using the Waves Digigrid stuff on The Voice live broadcasts.

Hugh
Must be a demo, or they are actually using the Soundgrid servers which have been available for years now, to work with digico and other live consoles.

Wave-T.com
Old 06-18-2014, 03:38 PM

we have a few hdx3's here. there are more than enough dsp plugins out there to do whatever needs to be done. some optimized better than others. been using more and more avid plugins as of late. with the new ones they have pretty much covered all bases for music. for post others have gone dsp. Waves, what we all grew up on and was joined at the hip w/ PT, has passed on the dsp boat but they work fine as native.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post

Pretty sure that's number of units SHIPPED to dealers, not number sold. Still, probably over half that number is actually sold.

Might seem like a large number, but it's not. Even the UAD DSP platform, which is fairly niche, has 5-6 times as many users and over 10 times the number of cards in service.

Don't those numbers above (11,000) make up only about 5% of HD users? Pretty tiny slice, if you think about it.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Hepworth View Post
Pretty sure that's number of units SHIPPED to dealers, not number sold. Still, probably over half that number is actually sold.

Might seem like a large number, but it's not. Even the UAD DSP platform, which is fairly niche, has 5-6 times as many users and over 10 times the number of cards in service.

Don't those numbers above (11,000) make up only about 5% of HD users? Pretty tiny slice, if you think about it.
This seems to correlate with what my Waves dealer told me a few months ago…even if every single HDX owner decides to buy Waves DSP tomorrow, the numbers are still way too small to make it worthwhile for them to port their plugs to HDX.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:22 PM

Hello,

Quote:
Must be a demo, or they are actually using the Soundgrid servers which have been available for years now, to work with digico and other live consoles

The Soundgrid servers are used with the Digigrid madi interfaces on our Calrec desks. Round trip delay is around 2ms with plugins, within acceptable limits.

Hugh