Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2012, 04:34 PM

Default Re: Waves Will NOT Be Supporting AAX-DSP!!!

It is unfortunate but it won't kill HDX when PT11 comes out.

It is a strange attitude from them though. Not sure what they hope to accomplish. Sounds to me that they are afraid that if they do make the HDx versions that everyone with WUP will want it for free. Why else would they go AAX and just stop at AAX DSP?

Carl
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Lie View Post
It is unfortunate but it won't kill HDX when PT11 comes out.

It is a strange attitude from them though. Not sure what they hope to accomplish. Sounds to me that they are afraid that if they do make the HDx versions that everyone with WUP will want it for free. Why else would they go AAX and just stop at AAX DSP?

Carl
What could happen is that once tdm and rtas are dropped, they will have to update the wup plans accordingly. Wait an other year, and then come in with the new AAX dsp ported plugins, and update the wup plan accordingly again. This way it would force people to buy the new bundles all over again. If I was in their shoes, that's what I would do. Void the current WUP since the format are no longer the same, and start new. But in the long run, they are the only shooting themselves in the foot, as many of the coders that have already coded aax dsp plugins are saying that it's a hell lot easier to do than it was for TDM. Easier means faster, less costly and in the end more profits to be made if they keep the bundles at the same price. But as someone else has pointed out, Waves seems to be on an anti avid trend. Might be just as well they don't make the dsp versions for the users after all

Wave-T.com
Old 06-21-2012, 05:32 PM

+1 to no more waves purchases. Better options for futureproofing to consider if theres no AAX DSP coming. I believe this will be waves first platform abandon in my memory. I try to stick with the bigger companies that will be around for updating / compatability. Waves just lost that status. Very disappointing.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:39 PM

it's worth mentioning again that a great many of their older native plug-ins are stupid efficient with no latency. It could simply be there wasn't enough of an improvement from HDX in many cases to warrant the development expense. It isn't like the native versions we all own are about to stop working so long as they do the 64 bit AAX versions they've said they intend to do.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:40 PM

No offense meant, but...

A whole lot of people are jumping on things based on what one person posted.

I mean, it wouldn't have been that hard to cut 'n paste the email in here, along with the name of the person it came from.

I'm not saying that what the OP posted is true or is not true, just that I don't think we've seen any evidence either way; certainly not enough to believe this is Waves position.

And BTW...AAX Native plugins will run on PT 10 HD, and will probably run on PT 11 HD, they just won't use the DSP hardware. And just remember, Waves has pretty much always had some RTAS only plugins; AAX Native will be the same situation...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 06-21-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
No offense meant, but...

I mean, it wouldn't have been that hard to cut 'n paste the email in here, along with the name of the person it came from.

I'm not saying that what the OP posted is true or is not true, just that I don't think we've seen any evidence either way; certainly not enough to believe this is Waves position.

And BTW...AAX Native plugins will run on PT 10 HD, and will probably run on PT 11 HD, they just won't use the DSP hardware. And just remember, Waves has pretty much always had some RTAS only plugins; AAX Native will be the same situation...
I have in the other thread about this. Still waiting on the precision of the email that tom@metro has received. They don't put their names in the emails though.

Wave-T.com
Old 06-21-2012, 05:48 PM

Great news... It protects me from wasting any more money with waves in the future.

Funny if Waves spends the R&D to do AAX Native, then it's not that much more (just another compiler and optimizing the DSP source code) to get DSP... They really must think HDX won't have much market share and not worth the support costs to release DSP plugs.. oh well, it's their loss
Old 06-21-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
No offense meant, but...

Maybe I'm old school, but I still find it to be bad form to quote private email conversations on public forums.

After needling them and asking for a definitive response, Waves has clearly communicated to me that they will support AAX-Native, and they will NOT support AAX-DSP.

If you need direct confirmation, you can contact the Internal Sales/Customer Support Manager at Waves.

[email protected]
Old 06-21-2012, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
it's worth mentioning again that a great many of their older native plug-ins are stupid efficient with no latency. It could simply be there wasn't enough of an improvement from HDX in many cases to warrant the development expense. It isn't like the native versions we all own are about to stop working so long as they do the 64 bit AAX versions they've said they intend to do.
It's clear that the current Waves plug-ins that I own will continue to work in Pro Tools, albeit differently than I prefer. Although some native Waves plug-ins may have very low latency, the buffer of the native system also has to be taken into consideration. There are simply no native systems that can do what HDX does. Although native latency has improved, the low latency throughput of Avid DSP based systems, along with extremely high track counts, cannot be matched. This is still important for many tracking situations. Also, "mix as you go" is a nice option.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blairl View Post
Maybe I'm old school, but I still find it to be bad form to quote private email conversations on public forums.

After needling them and asking for a definitive response, Waves has clearly communicated to me that they will support AAX-Native, and they will NOT support AAX-DSP.

If you need direct confirmation, you can contact the Internal Sales/Customer Support Manager at Waves.

[email protected]
Well see that's the thing, I have and it's not clearly stated as "We will never support AAX-DSP". All they are saying is that support for AAX-DSP is not planned. Which is probably why Bill is asking for a copy paste of the email, because he might have received the exact same email as me, and like mine, it's not as a definite never.

Wave-T.com