Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 10:50 AM

Default Re: HDX smokes HD2

Cache on..
Old 01-01-2012, 11:37 AM

link..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2U88...ItaoeAHfhlJ1Wz
Old 01-01-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneepa View Post
Just keep in mind -- that recording silence from 'bus inputs' is WAY different than recording REAL complex waveforms coming in from a pre from 768 different and unique sources. People have been doing these track count tests from 'silent sources' thru busses forever. And they're not accurate 'real life' tests.

You can do an accurate 'max playback of tracks' test if you can 'playback' 768 unique sounds - maybe compiled from 10-20 projects' worth of soundbites in your library -- line them all up at different start points on the timeline - still overlapping all 768 enough for a sufficient section of playback to test the buffers filling. Then THAT would simulate real life playback of 768 tracks.

My guess is that, especially with and SSD drive as your source and the new RAM disk cache in PTX - you probably won't have any trouble. But all I'm saying - is that it's very hard to create a real test of 'tracks on input'. Using busses as inputs doesn't really accurately test that.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:57 PM

No busses here .. 172 different inputs (11 interfaces) repeated 5 times .. Obviously nothing was playing but those inputs were real...
Old 01-01-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
No busses here .. 172 different inputs (11 interfaces) repeated 5 times .. Obviously nothing was playing but those inputs were real...
What did you use as source material thru the interfaces? A test tone won't render an accurate test either. The same 'source' sound, even if fed by mult-ing, to 172 inputs also won't make an accurate test. It has to be 172 (768) different organic sounds. If that's what you did - how did you achieve that many different sources?
Thanks for indulging me..
Old 01-01-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Tried recording 768 tracks ... no problem... disk activity: 6 % !!!!
Im sorry?

Thats a BIG claim. You need to back that up with some real world data.

Edit

I see your video now. I agree we need more info but thats still pretty good.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Just keep in mind -- that recording silence from 'bus inputs' is WAY different than recording REAL complex waveforms coming in from a pre from 768 different and unique sources. People have been doing these track count tests from 'silent sources' thru busses forever. And they're not accurate 'real life' tests.
NewdestinyX,

I do understand that this is not a real life test but recording 768 tracks from a single drive with 6% disk activity is still f?&* amazing.

I would like to know if one single HDX card replace an HD5 or 6? any user report on this? The fact that revibe eats almost a chip isn't good news for me, I am using Altiverb which is currently using much more than revibe on HD systems...

Happy new Year!
http://immersivesoundvr.com/
Old 01-01-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
What did you use as source material thru the interfaces? A test tone won't render an accurate test either. The same 'source' sound, even if fed by mult-ing, to 172 inputs also won't make an accurate test. It has to be 172 (768) different organic sounds. If that's what you did - how did you achieve that many different sources?
Thanks for indulging me..
What testing have you done to make you believe that recording 172 of the same sounds is different than recording 172 different sounds when it comes to disk performance?
Old 01-01-2012, 06:27 PM

Ummm it doesn't play 758 tracks, that's how many are voice-able. They can't all play at the same time. The max number of tracks playing at one time is 256. Which should be plenty.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMusic View Post
Ummm it doesn't play 758 tracks, that's how many are voice-able. They can't all play at the same time. The max number of tracks playing at one time is 256. Which should be plenty.
hdx3 can have 768 voices.

That is my understanding anyways.
Closed Thread