Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2003, 11:40 AM

Default Digidesign and remote desktop

We're planning to buy Apple Remote Desktop (a real-time screen sharing software) for a specific application: I'm working for the University of Quebec in Montreal (Quebec, Canada) and we are planning to develop a lab class, consisting of 18 Digdesign systems for the students and one master workstation. The system is composed of a MBox, a G4 and Pro Tools. Because of the teaching nature of the lab, we wanted to install Remote Desktop software on each workstation. So, if the teacher wants to show the students something about Pro Tools, they just have to look at their computer, and if the teacher wants to show an example of a student that did a good job or a mistake, he can too. Now, my questions are:

1. If the teacher wants to show the work of a student to the rest of the class, will the audio be transfered via the LAN?

2. Is there any issue of non-compatibility between Pro Tools and Remote Desktop?

Thank you
Old 05-23-2003, 11:48 AM

Default Re: Digidesign and remote desktop

Quote:
1. If the teacher wants to show the work of a student to the rest of the class, will the audio be transfered via the LAN?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">no, the audio will only come out of the digidesign hardware connected to that student's workstation.

Quote:
2. Is there any issue of non-compatibility between Pro Tools and Remote Desktop?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Not that I'm aware of, but I wouldn't expect great performance out a protools system if you have remote desktop running at the same time.

You may want to check out Tibuktu, it's much faster than remote desktop in my experience. There's also a free peice of software called VNC that a lot of people swear by. Do a search on Google or on apple's discussion boards to check out reviews of all of them.
Old 05-23-2003, 11:54 AM

I suggest that you call Digidesign before purchasing the hardware and software. That is the most prudent approach. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 05-24-2003, 07:48 AM

[QUOTE] 18 Digdesign systems for the students and one master workstation. [QB]
-----
Hello.
Consider another G4 just for the Remote Desktop (RD) administrator (non Protools station) in addition to your master audio workstation. Screen sharing the Protools master system will work. Also note that RD works better in OSX (Client side) But if you are still using OS9 your administrator machine needs to be in OSX. Also note that your network speed is related to how well RD will work. If all of your Macs are gigabit you may consider a high-speed gigabit switch.

I have been using RD with 36 computers since Jan 2003 with Finale, Performer and Digital Performer (OS9 clients) and Reason and Protools (OS 9 & OSX) My administrator is either a Powerbook 800 dVI in Class or via an off site research lab where I can upload assignment and distribute tutorials, some software upgrades and general maintenance.

My students have responded well but the setup is a tad bit slow sometime. (Large 10base network issues).
Remote location via cable modem connection does have it's advantages. Locking the computers during a lecture and or test is also a plus. Receiving assignments is not so pretty when students fail to comply with file naming protocol so here I recommnd a common server drive.

On the audio side you will need workstation splits that you can solo up on your master audio console.
My G4’s are mostly I-Mac LCD’s and 7 Towers (mirror) over 3 classrooms/labs and the main studio.
I wheel around with a cart and have twin Ethernet outlets and audio I/O’s at all of my locations.

This summer I will add a Powerware UPS to my cart so I will not have to shutdown while moving to a new classroom.

PS
A bright hi-res projector still allows for students to follow along in class. By the end of last semester I found myself using the projector more during class and RD for computer maintenance and file distribution.

I’m in Detroit if you have additional questions.
TC