Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 10-03-2002, 10:01 AM

Default Griffin g4Port or GeeThree StealthPort?

I did a search on the DUC, but couldn't find a definitive answer on this. We're looking at updating a couple of Mac G4s (one Silver and one new-model dual) with a serial adapter. Just wondering if there are any significant differences between the Griffin Technology G4Port and the GeeThree StealthPort.

Additionally, it looks like the StealthPort requires the use of one of the PCI slots in order to mount it in one of the new dual G4 models. If I remember correctly, you used to be able to just mount it in place of the modem. Is this true? Is there a work-around? Does the G4Port still allow you to mount it into the modem port? If so, that would seem to be an advantage, so as to not take up a PCI slot.

Thanks,
Noel
Old 10-03-2002, 10:50 AM

Default Re: Griffin g4Port or GeeThree StealthPort?

For what it's worth, my Griffin G4 port works flawlessly in my G4/933, and you don't need to waste a PCI slot.
Old 10-03-2002, 11:41 AM

Hiya Noel,

The same applies to the g-port as to the stealth in the new macs. At the moment i am considering drilling a hole in the grille at the back of a dual 867, to put the cable through! as i do not have a spare PCI slot (HD3 & SCSI). The trick to making the hole as small as possible seems to be to carefully remove the cable from the card and then pass the cable through the hole made, and reattach the cable to the card in side the mac.

[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Don't forget about the music
Old 11-05-2002, 09:58 AM

yah, Griffin's tech support response is to "use the PCI slot bracket as the modem port cannot be removed." but it can. I managed to take it out (yes, heat sink has to come out, too) and feed the g4Port wire thru the hole where it sorta dangles loosely. it *just* reaches. Maybe if enough people email [email protected] they might work on a new bracket?

what they *ought* to do is make their g4port so that it uses the modem port wire inside the mac, then provide an RJ-11 to 8-pin mini-DIN adaptor for the outside. That way, no matter where apple moves the modem on each new model, they can hook up a serial port. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] bah.

e.