Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 12-02-2017, 01:31 PM

Default Re: ProTools First doesn't detect my Apollo Twin USB, and an error message issue

I missed the Cubase comment earlier, I was assuming Pro Tools was the only thing you are trying that uses the ASIO driver. (Mmm cubase can use Windows Audio/Direct X in some situations, ... but I doubt it's doing so here). But windows audio is such a dog to start with... its relatively easy for stuff to get messed up.

DUC is not full of people complaining about this problem so I'd absolutely suspect your PC is messed up and be diving in to test that (with a clean Windows install). How old an install is is not really that interesting. What is interesting is how was Windows installed on the machine? What other OEM and A/V c r a p ware etc. is on the system etc. I would not use any Windows machine with an OEM Windows install on it, they get automatically wiped and a clean Microsoft Windows install done with no c r a p ware. (And not Windows Home, with automatic update/everything disabled).

And especially if Avid support is not helping I'd not be shy about contacting UAD, they tend to have great support. They should know the ins and outs of getting their drivers to work with all DAWs.
Old 12-03-2017, 04:02 AM

Default Re: ProTools First doesn't detect my Apollo Twin USB, and an error message issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Hey

Can you try to install the next version of PT from 12.8.2 and see if that does anything for you, we have used Apollo hardware since 2012 and it works great.i work with several home studio producers and writers who use the UA hardware with Windows 7 and 10 without any problems at all. I am NOT saying that to contradict your problems, just stating the fact it does work with other systms so lets see of we can't get this working.

Something is wrong, we know that and The Apollo software drivers are second to none. One of the most stable core audio drivers out today so they should not stop PT from working on a brand new setup.

Can you try 12.8.1 for example from your Avid Master Account and install that to see if there is something wrong in the 12.8.2 version with UA or Avid.

Let us know how you get on so we can assist further. If and when you tested this depending in the result I will escalate to Avid Techs and see what they think and I am fairly certain they would ask to try atleast one other PT12 version to verify if that works or not. Thanks
Thank you for getting back to me here, this is the sort of answer I have been waiting for! I thought of it and would love to try older versions of PT First, but I looked and couldn't find where to download them. Under Avid -> My account -> My products and Subscriptions, I can only see download links to the latest version. Can you point me to where I can get an earlier version?

Also, would I need to uninstall or erase anything else (like the program preferences in the AppData directory) before I install an earlier version?
Old 12-03-2017, 10:35 AM

Do not wipe your system. I tried that and it did me no good. I Still got the exact same errors you describe. I did however go ahead and just buy ProTools. For some reason ProTools works great with my UAD interface. No idea why PT First wouldn't. Its not a hardware issue. Its a ProTools First issue.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:37 AM

I'm in the same boat as bobbin. My other recording apps recognize my interface no problem. I'll just use them.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:29 PM

I have the same issue here, but with a different interface (Mackie) on Win7. Pro Tools First keeps crashing and crashing. Cubase, Acid, etc. works as usual.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuawade View Post
Do not wipe your system. I tried that and it did me no good. I Still got the exact same errors you describe. I did however go ahead and just buy ProTools. For some reason ProTools works great with my UAD interface. No idea why PT First wouldn't. Its not a hardware issue. Its a ProTools First issue.
Just letting Joshua and everyone else know that I bought a month's subscription just to see if it makes it better - and it did. My assumption is: either PT in general has lousy cloud-based work code for Windows, or just PT First. I can now work with the program, load projects, play them etc. PT is obviously not Windows-friendly. (And don't get me started on the paying by Paypal option. I tried it, and the transaction went to pending authorization from the dealer status. On PayPal. For 30 business days. And then was cancelled. I have been using PayPal for years, no such issue ever occurred, no transaction I wasn't able to pay for, ever. I then tried to pay by credit card, the same one I use with PayPal - transaction went through within seconds. So why put the PayPal option there if you don't like it? See that "our way or the highway" philosophy Avid seems to have popping up again and again here?)

Mind you, even the paid PT version STILL can't recognize my Apollo interface. I still have to use Asio4All. "Our way or the highway" again... But hey, after months of trial and error, I got it working!