Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 01-28-2018, 07:53 AM

Default Windows 10 Crashing Issues

This started a while ago but I just decided to post. My system specs are in my Signature so the only thing missing is my GPU which is a Sapphire Radeon HD6570 one slot pci-e card.

First thing is that on some older sessions I was using the Deunde SSL Bus Compressor and that plugin still gives me problems during load up unless I disable it when saving the session and activating after session is loaded. So this is not what were talking about.

Sometimes during session load PT will hang I have to force quit and reboot my CPU. This might happen after loading 3 different sessions or even up to a 10th session....go figure. The other crashing problem I have is when I close a session. It'll hang and I'll get the spinning blue wheel then get the Pro Tools has crashed windows dialog and the Windows System is searching for whatever (can't remember right now) and then everything closes and i'll have to reboot to run PT again or wait what seems like 15 minutes or more before I can run again without rebooting (I believe this is related to the PT Dock thinking PT is still running cause the last session's GUI is still on the screen for 15 minutes or more. After the iPad screen clears I can run PT again).

I don't have Graphic lag issues so I don't believe it's the GPU. I was having crash problems related to a few Waves plugins when their GUI is opened only (C6 for sure) but I installed new drivers for my GPU and all has been fine recently and half the time I don't use C6 anymore but I do use other Waves plugins with no problem at all.

Crashes haven't happened during a sessions since probably 12.8.1 if not longer than that, I just don't remember. Those crashes were like the others I've read about on this forum like when performing certain actions and regular functions. Those haven't happened in a while and since my crashes were mainly during session close and the rare session load I put trouble shooting it on the back burner, but now I'm tried of it and looking for help. I have a Gigabyte mobo and I hope my BIOS setting are correct which I do believe are fine or I would probably have other PT issues.

I want to know what other software (non Pro Audio software) do you guys use on your PT rig and what software do you avoid? I don't know if this is a problem but I do have Windows Defender active and I have Malware-byte running sometimes and other times I disable it but that hasn't help. What about MS Office, what start up items do you guys disable that I might still have running? USB devices or do you have the Digidesign MIDI i/o drivers install (I have one but am not using it anymore) should I uninstall it and everything that deals with it? Anything or suggestions are welcomed from all.

Thank you.

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D - BIOS F21b
Intel Core I9 10850K Windows11 / macOS 12.7.4 Hackintosh / 32GB of Rams
Avid Carbon/HDX 2024.3 Ultimate - 8x8x8 HD I/O - PT Dock - PT Control - Artist Mix (1)
Universal Audio Apollo Twin|X - UAD2 Pci-E and Satellite USB Octo v.11.0.1 - SOLO 610 - Twin-finity
Bricasti M7 (2)
Lexicon PCM96
Neumann KH805 - KH310
Yamaha NS-10M
Avantone Mixcubes
Grace Design M905
Etc, etc, etc.

Last edited by abc1mce2; 01-28-2018 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:53 AM

Default Re: Windows 10 Crashing Issues

I believe I traced down the culprit or my issues. I've been having crashes during session start up or session closure as I stated before. I worked about 5 hours last night with a few things I think it's the Duende SSL Bus Compressor (the only Duende plugin I use). If it's inserted on a track, PT crashes before the entire session is loaded. If I load the session with all plugins disabled and enable the plugins after the session loads and leave the Duende Bus Compressor on the session, I can save it or save as but if I close the session it'll crash PT and I have to force quit and reboot my CPU. There are a few other scenarios in which the session will load but if i load another session behind it that doesn't use the Bus Compressor, that session or maybe the next will crash during loading or closure also. If I load session(s) without it (Duende SSL) I don't have a problem at all and can load several sessions without issue. Remember all these crashes are either during session load or close so it doesn't affect me working on a mix at all, the sessions never crash while open. It's a pain in the ass never the less and I'll never use Duende plugins again til this issue is resolved. I'm going to run more test over the next few days and report back one way or another.

Avid Carbon/HDX 2024.3 Ultimate - 8x8x8 HD I/O - PT Dock - PT Control - Artist Mix (1)
Universal Audio Apollo Twin|X - UAD2 Pci-E and Satellite USB Octo v.11.0.1 - SOLO 610 - Twin-finity
Bricasti M7 (2)
Lexicon PCM96
Neumann KH805 - KH310
Yamaha NS-10M
Avantone Mixcubes
Grace Design M905
Etc, etc, etc.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:04 AM

When I first posted I didn't realize so many of my older and a few newer sessions use the Duende Bus Compressor and if I can get the session to load it's still effecting the system with later sessions I load even if the plugin was used on a different session until I close and restart PT. If I don't use the plugin at all it seems all is well though I'm still testing for now.

Bricasti M7 (2)
Lexicon PCM96
Neumann KH805 - KH310
Yamaha NS-10M
Avantone Mixcubes
Grace Design M905
Etc, etc, etc.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:29 AM

Put the offending plug-in in the Unused Plug-ins folder. Rogue plug-ins can affect PT even when not in a session or disabled in the session.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 01-29-2018, 02:54 PM

Yes Duende has had issues in the recent past.

They were supposed to be updating them, but I don’t know if that’s been done recently
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:42 AM

After several days of testing and finally believing the HDX card is at fault due to a single loop back failure on port one during a Digi-Test, I disconnected the HDX card and used my m905 via usb as my audio interface and I still had the same problem as before with the 6th session crashing on closure and this was after disabling all other audio drivers as well. I didn't take into account to reorder how I opened the 6 sessions or removing a session from the list one at a time, add one back in and just continually try to open and close five of the six sessions, By not using the last two sessions on my list of six I was able to open and close the other sessions 14 + times in total with no crashes. This only leaves two other possibilities, another faulty plugin only used in one of them two remaining sessions or a corrupt sessions which I've had before though during those times the session(s) would crash during load and I had to rebuild them by importing the data into a blank session. I believe I've found the source of my problem and I will investigate them last two remaining sessions tomorrow to either prove my theory correct or false. One final note, even with the loop feedback fault on port one of my HDX card, I can't tell you of any noticeable issues with either analog summing, ITB mixing, different sample rate session playback, digital devices routed through my HD I/O or simple recording.

Bricasti M7 (2)
Lexicon PCM96
Neumann KH805 - KH310
Yamaha NS-10M
Avantone Mixcubes
Grace Design M905
Etc, etc, etc.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:06 PM

ABC didn’t get to test that yet, but I will today, and get back with you !!
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
ABC didn’t get to test that yet, but I will today, and get back with you !!
Thank you.

Bricasti M7 (2)
Lexicon PCM96
Neumann KH805 - KH310
Yamaha NS-10M
Avantone Mixcubes
Grace Design M905
Etc, etc, etc.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:27 AM

After more testing during the weekend, I now realize my issues are corrupt session (or/and a few Waves plugins) related. I thought the one problem with my HDX card was the reason but as i said I was using my m905 as the driver and interface and I got the same result with the same sessions or when I import some effect tracks (now saves as presets) into test sessions I I created this weekend. I believe it's plugin related like it is with Duende. Some of the Waves plugins seem to be giving me problems. The SuperTaps 6 is one for sure so away that one will go. C6 use to crash my system, but since the latest Wave update C6 has worked perfect.

The real problem is all this trouble shooting. You lose so time being unproductive and not doing music (working) just to get your system bullet proof if there is such a thing. I wasted the better part of the week working on this just to find out it's mainly plugin related so now I have to keep a list of what not use or just uninstall it. With that being said I now know I'll have to rebuild a few for my effect presets and my main template. If I find any other problems I'll report back.

Bricasti M7 (2)
Lexicon PCM96
Neumann KH805 - KH310
Yamaha NS-10M
Avantone Mixcubes
Grace Design M905
Etc, etc, etc.