Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 09-09-2009, 07:28 AM

Default Re: temporary group for track-faders ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonwurm View Post

as I told before, in DP or in Logic only one step is necessary to do

selecting the tracks and (while holding dedicated keys) ... moving them - so intuitive and easy

This is very much what I would like to see in PT
Old 09-09-2009, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digidesigner View Post
This is very much what I would like to see in PT
I am not apposed to this, but I don't understand why you wouldn't create several groups. Sonar has a feature like this too and I depended on it when I switched to Pro Tools. However, now that I have taken the time to get really fast at groups, I don't miss that feature one bit.

Creating a group in Pro Tools is so quick and easy. I find that if I need to group a bunch of tracks together to adjust volume, I will likely need to do it again sometime down the road. Enabling and disabling groups is so easy in Pro Tools that I think it would be more work to select the tracks then it is to easily click to turn on or off the group. Also, don't forget about keyboard focus on the groups. This makes it even quicker to turn on and off groups.

Something that has really helped me use groups effectively is understanding the symbols next to the groups. For example, previously, I could end up making several groups for the same thing because I couldn't remember if I had already made a group. So I would just create a new group since it was faster. However, you can quickly tell if you have already made a group for a set of tracks by highlighting the tracks you want grouped and then looking to see if any of the groups have a solid circle next to them. The solid circle will identify any groups that include only your selected tracks.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 09-09-2009, 10:16 AM

It would be so much easier to select tracks, press shift, drag the fader(s), release shift and be done, would take 2 seconds, and no needless groups would be created for just one move
Old 09-09-2009, 10:37 AM

I guess my point is this:

To select tracks and then use a quick group may be a button push faster than if you create a group. But I have always found that spending the extra couple clicks to create the group now has always saved time for future adjustments. Seriously, pay attention to things that you want to quick group. I bet you will want to adjust that group again in the future. If it is already a group, then it is faster to activate the group then it is to highlight the tracks and use modifier keys.

Again, I am not apposed to the quick group idea. However, if quick groups is all you plan to use, then you are missing out on one of Pro Tools huge strengths and would have a slower workflow overall. It is worth it to really dig in and learn Pro Tools Grouping features.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 09-09-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
if quick groups is all you plan to use, then you are missing out on one of Pro Tools huge strengths and would have a slower workflow overall. It is worth it to really dig in and learn Pro Tools Grouping features.
hi, i doubt any members of this conversation don't understand and use grps daily.
on my own system, with a procontrol and a kensington (copy/paste names) i can make grps incredibly fast.
but, remember, for many of us it's all about saving half a second here and there.
(with your set up you have to figure in deleting that temp grp.)

invoking my earlier post
Quote:
when importing audio or session data; regions and media only,
faders default to zero.
it seems a waste of a couplea heartbeats to create temp grps and vca's for an action you might only need once.
Quote:
NOT essential for work flow at all. PT already has this covered with basic grouping and VCA control. Adding this feature can actually be counter-productive.
if true, then why create the shift-s (or shift option) shortcuts for solo and mute?.
same thang.
best,
e
Old 09-09-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elicious View Post
hi, i doubt any members of this conversation don't understand and use grps daily.
on my own system, with a procontrol and a kensington (copy/paste names) i can make grps incredibly fast.
but, remember, for many of us it's all about saving half a second here and there.
(with your set up you have to figure in deleting that temp grp.)

invoking my earlier post

it seems a waste of a couplea heartbeats to create temp grps and vca's for an action you might only need once.

if true, then why create the shift-s (or shift option) shortcuts for solo and mute?.
same thang.
best,
e
Yes making groups is a simple thing to do.... especially with one of the newer control surfaces. Either way its a simple enough thing to do that we don't need yet another way to do THE SAME thing.
by the way.... there are more than plenty enough grouping slots to allow you to not have to delete any temp groups unless you want to. Just leave them, maybe you will need that set later in the session or mix.

Any option+ modifier key is a temp way of changing multiple tracks at the same time. If the tracks are selected and the needed a modifier+option key combo to them move the faders at once it could be useful.... but note, that is far different than just selecting multiple tracks and moving one fader to control them all (which I am opposed to).

Syn-g
www.bulletsage.com
Old 03-06-2014, 09:57 AM

I wish we had this. It should be a hotkey modifier, that way nothing would change for people who don't need it, but people who do would gain. Win/stay the same, net positive.

At least 5 times a day I wish I had this hotkey modifier!
Old 02-03-2018, 07:15 PM

+1 Here too. Temp groups are very cool and I'm missing them. In Sonar, select a bunch of tracks. Hold shift and ANY like parameter on the tracks is temporarily grouped. Let go of Shift and you're back to normal. Likewise, if you actually DO create a group, you can temporarily defeat it for just one fader by holding shift. When you release, you have established the new proportions for the group.