Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-28-2006, 07:54 AM

Default Movie Theater Sound Issues....

Heres my problem...

Basically, we took our documentary into a local theater to do a screening before the film festival and i noticed my sound was very muffled. Not much clarity at all and not much dynamic range either. We had to run the film through a DVD player, then a receiver, then finally through the theater sound system. I didnt set the receiver to Pro Logic or any surround options like that, just plain old stereo. The dvd player wasnt that great, but it was Harmon Kardon receiver (very nice btw). Any suggestions??

Im using Mackie HR824s with a 002 and it sounds great at work. Do i need to compensate for the theater or was it just a bad setup????

Thanx for your help.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:12 AM

Default Re: Movie Theater Sound Issues....

Chanves are the speakers there are larger than your hr824s, so you'll probably need to add some high freq to your mixes in order to sompensate for this.... Also, you probably want to slam it pretty hard with a limiter, preferably a look ahead limiter like maxim or a waves l1.... I'd actually try the limiter before the eq... But make sure you do the limiter as an Audio Suite not an rtas to really use the look ahead feature

The Note Music
www.myspace.com/thenotemusic
Dual 2.0Ghz PPC 3gb Ram, Digi 002R
Old 10-28-2006, 08:19 AM

Thanx. Ill give that a try. I was trying to stay away from maxim on this one. I wanted a pretty big dynamic range. Ill burn a few different mixes for the next screening.

Any other suggestions??
Old 10-28-2006, 08:57 AM

Maybe hit the whole thing with maxim, then just automate down the parts you want lower, then bounce that to another stereo track.. That way you have the punch and def all the way through, but can keep the dynamic range you want in parts

The Note Music
Old 10-28-2006, 10:45 AM

Quote:
you probably want to slam it pretty hard with a limiter
Ouch!! You're killing me.

cfb25,
do you have any background in mixing for film? I'm sure you meant well, but films are mixed VERY differently from pop records. Although we use a lot of the same tools, it really is apples and oranges. I'm a sound editor so I've been involved with the mix on many films including big budget features, but I'm still not a film mixer. That being said, I've mixed some shorts in my home studio with moderate success. It can be done.

str8clownin,
I saw your duplicate post in the Post & Surround forum. You'll get some good advice there. The problem that you'll find is that most theaters are not really set up properly to be playing DVDs. A cinema processor plays a film's audio from the Dolby Digital track that's between the sprockets or the optical track as a backup in case the the Digital track fails. You can patch in to the processor from your DVD player or reciever, but it usally sounds funky. Theaters in festivals usually (not always) have this stuff sorted out, but you need to find out in advance what non-film formats thay can playback properly. Usually it's digibeta or sometimes DVD. As HD formats become more standardized, theaters will eventually follow and it will be a lot easier for festivals and low-budget screenings.
Old 10-28-2006, 01:48 PM

Yeah, probably should have stated that was from my head and not any experience in such... I know voiceovers and tv is pretty slammed, my apologies...

The Note Music