Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2002, 09:45 AM

Default HELP! My comp can\'t shut down?

hi guys..I got a problem that has been buggin me since I got my G4 and HD set up in may...

here's my set up...Atto SCSI, HD 1 card, 96 I/O, G4 800

I bot tis set up and within the 1st week of use...my comp can't shut down! the system just auto turns on itself, just like restart, when i try to shut down the comp, I have tried many things, reformatting many times and everytime I do that..it will work for about 20-30 times b4 goin back to the non shutting down problem...

I brot tis comp back to Apple and they said that the comp has no hardware problem( i brot just the comp there, without my HD or SCSI card) so i tried taking up my SCSI card and leaving HD card in the slot and it'll still cannot shut down properly BUT when i take my HD card out...it shuts down as ordered...so i'm really quite baffled by this problem...

has anyone got a similar problem? pls help! this is a 6 mth old comp and HD card and the SCSI and the problem happened a week into usage...
Old 09-30-2002, 10:19 AM

Default Re: HELP! My comp can\'t shut down?

There's a good chance you have a problem with your USB bus (keyboard, mouse, hubs, extension cords, etc.).

By any chance, are you using one of those 16' (5 meter) powered USB extension cables? Those have been known to cause the problem you describe.

For testing, break things down to the very basics. Unplug all your USB equipment with the exception of the Apple keyboard and mouse that came with the computer (with no extra extension cords, hubs, MIDI interfaces, etc.). See if you have the restarting problem then.

Lee Blaske
Old 10-01-2002, 03:11 AM

I have a mix plus set up but I do have a dreaded ATTO card... my computer would totally freeze...I had the power switch..

I have updated the firmware on my SCSI card to 1.66 and this helped me.

Maybe this might help
Old 10-01-2002, 06:11 PM

I had the same problem with my G4/533mhz. The USB bus was to blame. I had no extended cables as a previous poster mentioned, but I have a MOTU MIDI Timepiece and found that I must power it down after I power down the G4, otherwise it'd reboot on its own.

I think the USB bus bug involves some peculiar power issues over the cable, be it an extended cable length, or a self-powered device like my MIDI interface...
Old 10-01-2002, 06:25 PM

Pull the plug!

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Relax and enjoy a life with no electricity!(at least for five minutes) [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-01-2002, 07:39 PM

USB is one of them, are you using additional USB PCI card or the on-board USB? Or try restarting your G4 and hold down Option-Apple Cntrl-P-R upon rebooting.
This is also caused by shutting down the interface or the DIgidrive, you need to shutdown the G4 first. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-05-2002, 07:49 PM

Saw the same thing on a few of the early G4's, everyone in the room thought they'd lost their minds because it happened every time. Not sure if it was true, but heard later that it was something to do with the soft power button Apple was using. Only way out that we found was to hit "Shut Down" and pull the plug before it rebooted.
Old 10-05-2002, 09:15 PM

I have the same problem if I try to shut down the G4 when my MOTU Micro Express is turned off. So I just leave it on.
Old 10-05-2002, 09:25 PM

If you have an MTP AV/USB, do not turn it off before the MAC.
I was getting crazy about that when someone gave me that light.
I just could not belive that a device connected to the USB port would...
[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Also, if you power your UPS with the MTP AV USB turnedd off, your computer shall power on automatically!!!

very crazyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

http://www.facebook.com/alecio.costa

PT Ultimate Native 2023.3 - Mac Mini M1 16GB RAM - Mac Os Ventura 13.2 - 2 192 IO Digidesign Digital

PT HD2 Accel - 10.3.10 OS 10.6.8 - Mac Pro 2008 16GB RAM

Mastering Gear: Pendulum Audio, Crane Song, Avalon, Great River, Sebatron, Sonnox, Izotope, PSP, TC, Fab Filter.