Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 07-26-2019, 12:51 PM

Default Re: so no possibility to use more s3s but what about the S1

Yes of course its discontinued, cause better hardware for lower prices is not worth to exist anymore.Better to sell a S4 with ALPS Faders for a price tag in the start for 24999 $ brings more money than selling a s6 m10 starting at 17999 $ with high quality faders...

How much is the price for an ALPS Fader 35 Dollar, like the ones in the S3....

I will go for it end of the year and i think the s6 m10 is still avaiable, cause in this price range people aren´t buying out this so fast...
Old 07-31-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
It's a lot more complicated than that. Avid has to make money on the sales to enable the free software support and develop new products. Hardware prices are not just set, they are calculated from a large number of things, from development cost, to parts cost, manufacturing cost, supporting the hardware, software dev, not to mention general day to day running of Avid. The S3 isn't cheap to make unfortunately.

Sent from my HMA-L29 using Tapatalk

I bought the S3 when it came out in 2014. It took until early 2019 until it began to be fun working with it. The EuControl Software still feels very 90s. I would love to pay for a good software support for a $5000 console. You can't expect high hardware sales with a software that doesn't seem to get the attention it needs.
Mixing on a D-Control still gives you the feeling of a better integrated hardware and software... my 2ct...
Reaper 6.66, Fireface UCX

MacbookPro M1Pro PTHD2021.12 MacOS12.1
BlackmagicDesign UltraMonitor3G

MOTU 24Ao AppleTB3toTB2->AppleTB2->Ethernet->AVB
Old 07-31-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by made View Post
I bought the S3 when it came out in 2014. It took until early 2019 until it began to be fun working with it. The EuControl Software still feels very 90s. I would love to pay for a good software support for a $5000 console. You can't expect high hardware sales with a software that doesn't seem to get the attention it needs.
Mixing on a D-Control still gives you the feeling of a better integrated hardware and software... my 2ct...
They're rewriting the app, I hope they rewrite this too. I agree with you. You can't drag and drop buttons or move them. Euphonix rushed this thing and Avid has been scotch-taping it.

I also think the little OLED screens can do more. Graphics, sub-menus, etc. See: Digitakt interfaces.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:33 PM
Avid

Just to clarify the S4 is not more expensive than the M10 overall. Yes, the very bottom base system is slightly more but the rest of the S4 systems are many thousands cheaper. You also get the ability to add displays so one could compare with M40 systems and then you are looking at $20k cheaper.
A customer last month looking for a 24 fader S6 with displays now has a $20k+ cheaper alternative if they want.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:11 AM

with cheap ALPS Faders.... No way sry

I don t buy a 37k cobtrol surface with the same Faders, my s3 has now...

And Avid said, that the ability to add Display modules will come for the s6 m10... (s6 m10+)... So all the s6 m10 users, can use this totally overpriced Display Modules...
Why should i pay thousands and thousands of dollars for s4, which comes with cheap faders. No... The S6 M10 is still a better choice, than this s4...Its all about marketing, isn´t it... Lets sell medicore hardware for the same price, that our s6 is... Yeah... good idea... We save money and all the lambs are jumping in... At last.. Think about it and give the s4 the same high quality Premium TKD faders... I think for the price range of the s4... it is the right decision...

Last edited by TrackerLe; 08-01-2019 at 09:27 AM.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:53 AM
Avid

You realize Alps were in the ICON....
Old 08-05-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
You realize Alps were in the ICON....
Hi Eddie,

Any news about capabilities of connecting 2 S3 together ?

Best,

Mac Pro Late 2013 | 2.7GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5-2697v2 Processor | 64GB of 1866MHz DDR3 ECC | 1TB PCIe-based SSD | Dual AMD FirePro D700 GPUs with 6GB of GDDR5 VRAM each

macOS Mojave 10.14.5

UAD Apollo x8p
UAD Satellite Octo Thunderbolt
UAD Satellite Quad Thunderbolt
Focal Alpha 65
Furman M-8x2 Power Conditioner

Avid S3 Control Surface
Pro tools Ultimate 2019.5
EUCON 19.5.1
Pro Tools Control 19.5
iPad Pro Late 2018 | 12.9-inch | Wi‑Fi | 64GB

Ken Smith Bass 6 Elite
Aguilar Tone Hammer 500
Epifani T112

Jazz Composition/Performance/Music Production & Engineering candidate at
Berklee College of Music
Old 08-06-2019, 07:28 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by gersonlazoq View Post
Hi Eddie,

Any news about capabilities of connecting 2 S3 together ?

Best,
We did try and it looked like a massive amount of work to fix all the issues. It was designed before my time on it and only as a single unit. At this point, I would say probably not, sorry.
Old 08-06-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
We did try and it looked like a massive amount of work to fix all the issues. It was designed before my time on it and only as a single unit. At this point, I would say probably not, sorry.
And just to extend that question (not sure if it's been answered already), is it likely that we will be able to run 1 or more S1's alongside an S3?
Old 08-06-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
And by the way, I personally always appreciate a straightforward answer like this rather than some manufacturers who will leave their users hanging in hope of something that is unlikely to happen. Clarity is so much better where possible.