Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2020, 02:17 PM

Default orange color indicator in EQ in mix window?

Anyone one what it means if the little dot is orange, (not green), in the EQ section of the mix window? TFM does not address it.

Thanks
b

Producer//Mixer//Bassist//Composer

benrubin.com

------------
PT Ultimate 2024.3, Mac Studio M1 Max, 64Gb RAM, Mac OSX 13.6.4, SSD sample drive,
Neve 8816, HD Native Thunderbolt, (2) Lynx Aurora 16, Benchmark DAC-1/ADC-1
Old 10-24-2020, 03:22 PM

Default Re: orange color indicator in EQ in mix window?

I think that's indicating an EQ plugin in use that does not support showing the EQ curve. TFM/PTRG mentions that plugins may not support this but does not mention the amber EQ insert indicator behavior.

Seems easy to reproduce, e.g. the free Blue Cat Triple Eq does not support the EQ curve display, and that plugin lights up the EQ insert indicator as amber.

jeffro if you are around: assuming I have this right, a simple doc update to describe this would be great.
Old 10-25-2020, 08:50 AM

A poorly supported feature I'm afraid.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=398074

With hindsight, EQ curve and gain reduction should have been build in as standard in the AAX plugin format.

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 10-25-2020, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
I think that's indicating an EQ plugin in use that does not support showing the EQ curve. TFM/PTRG mentions that plugins may not support this but does not mention the amber EQ insert indicator behavior.

Seems easy to reproduce, e.g. the free Blue Cat Triple Eq does not support the EQ curve display, and that plugin lights up the EQ insert indicator as amber.

jeffro if you are around: assuming I have this right, a simple doc update to describe this would be great.

I think you are right, Darryl. I would add to that, if there are mixed (supporting and non-) it still shows up amber. I think this is what led to my confusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

benrubin.com

------------
PT Ultimate 2024.3, Mac Studio M1 Max, 64Gb RAM, Mac OSX 13.6.4, SSD sample drive,
Old 10-25-2020, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny_Cha_Cha View Post
I think you are right, Darryl. I would add to that, if there are mixed (supporting and non-) it still shows up amber. I think this is what led to my confusion.
Yes indeed, I'm not sure that drawing the EQ curve from the plugins it knows EQ data from and ignoring the ones it does not and just setting the amber light is the clearest behavior. Like why not blank out or turn the whole EQ display amber and turn the offending EQ plugin insert a color etc (yes there are too many things there already... but show me which EQ does not support the display, so I don't have to work that out). This is a class of thing where I wish Pro Tools had effective rollover-help integrated into the UI. I want to be able to click on a "?" button and hit any UI element or annunciator etc. and have it tell me what's going on.

OTOH plugin vendors really ought to be supporting EQ display and I did not know about that list linked above, great stuff. Oh and maybe that list should be gently shaming vendors who do not support EQ display... I was surprised that Eventide Ultrachannel does not.
Old 10-25-2020, 06:01 PM

Seriously. Paging UAD and Plugin Alliance on this one. Glad to know the Sonnox Eq supports it. Used to be my go-to but I’m sure I’ve chased so many shiny EQs since. Prob will grab it more often now. The GML mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

benrubin.com

------------