How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2018, 09:39 AM

Location: Curently on a Cruise Ship in the Caribbean, normally Portland, OR
Default Unable to Load Existing .ptx File

When I try to open an existing .ptx file in Pro Tools, the program does the usual loading steps, but the song I am working on does not load up. I can't even view the program (the screen stays on the desktop), even though it is listed as running, and I am prompted to save the file when I click to close the program. I am, however, able to open the program directly if I load up Pro Tools directly (rather than clicking on the .ptx file) if I want to create a new file. If I go to File --> Open Project... and try to open the .ptx file from there, I get a black screen (though the program is loaded up). Strangely, when I click to Quit the program, I am prompted to Save the file I tried to load up before closing it.

I have Version 18.10.0.246 of Pro Tools Ultimate for MacOS Mojave, version 10.14.2.

I tested my internet speed as well - 19.5 Mbps download, 3.52 Mbps upload.

Any ideas why this is happening? Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited by [email protected]; 12-27-2018 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12-27-2018, 01:16 PM

Default Re: Unable to Load Existing .ptx File

If i understand correctly, are you trying to get the program(Pro Tools) to auto start when you double click/select/open a Session file? If so i would suggest always opening Pro Tools(the Program)first. If you already have PT open are you trying to open the ptx file from PT drop down menu or Finder? You have some mismatched terms going on in your post so I am not sure what exactly you are doing. I do know that ever since PT ,um 10 or 11 i think, i have found PT doesn't like to auto open when i select a ptx file. Used to do it all day on PT '5-6 but not no mo'
Old 12-27-2018, 01:35 PM

If I open Pro Tools I am prompted to create a new file. From there I select File —> Open Project from the drop down menu. But I have also tried clicking on the .ptx file in Finder as well, which used to work just fine until a day ago. For the record, I’m not getting any error messages. The files are stored on an external drive, not sure if it’s an issue.
Old 12-27-2018, 03:40 PM

Well yes drive names can get Pro Tools lost. Especially if it's looking for a drive that has the same name as a different computer that the external drive was previously hooked too.
Old 12-27-2018, 07:42 PM

It’s a new external drive that I’ve only used with this laptop, not sure what caused the change.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
It’s a new external drive that I’ve only used with this laptop, not sure what caused the change.
Details man.... It's what exact make and model external drive with what exact file system on it. It needs to be needs to be HFS+ or APFS. NTFS, FAT32, EXFAT will not work.

What happens when you create a new empty session and start working with and then save that? (to the same drive, to the boot drive?).

Have you tried trashing prefs? Any other trouble shooting steps?

Try trashing Prefs, then try importing the old session into a new one.

Try removing all .aaxplugin files from the plugin folder, trash prefs and try again.

Is the audio content in the session folder (go look to double check).

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-27-2018 at 09:23 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:31 AM

Thank you for responding Darryl Ramm. The external drive I'm using is the Toshiba HDTB420XK3AA Canvio Basics 2TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0, Black

I haven't done any troubleshooting steps until I received your message. I trashed Preferences in the ~/Library/Preferences folder and tried opening the .ptx file but it didn't work. I created a new session and started working with that, saved it, closed it, and *was* able to re-open that session. I tried importing the session data from the .ptx file I've been working on into a new project but no data showed up.

In the ~/Library/Preferences/Avid/ folder, there's another folder called Project Locations with a file in there, possibly anything to do with that?

Any suggestions for what to try next would be much appreciated.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:36 AM

What happens if you create a new blank session at the same sample rate, and then choose IMPORT SESSION DATA from the problematic session?
Old 12-28-2018, 09:46 AM

If I create a new blank session at the same sample rate, and then choose IMPORT SESSION DATA from the problematic session, I just get a blank Pro Tools template. I attached a screenshot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg December 2018.jpg (29.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-28-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Thank you for responding Darryl Ramm. The external drive I'm using is the Toshiba HDTB420XK3AA Canvio Basics 2TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0, Black

I haven't done any troubleshooting steps until I received your message. I trashed Preferences in the ~/Library/Preferences folder and tried opening the .ptx file but it didn't work. I created a new session and started working with that, saved it, closed it, and *was* able to re-open that session. I tried importing the session data from the .ptx file I've been working on into a new project but no data showed up.

In the ~/Library/Preferences/Avid/ folder, there's another folder called Project Locations with a file in there, possibly anything to do with that?

Any suggestions for what to try next would be much appreciated.
I gave you more questions, and suggestions to try in my previous post. Why are you asking for more without doing everything I already suggested?

Including what filesystem is on that drive?

Make sure you are following all the instructions for trashing prefs on a recent macOS/Pro Tools Setup. All under “help us help you” up the top of every DUC web page.

Does this happen with other existing sessions or just this one.

And try the other standard troubleshooting step of creating a new admin account and trying from there... after trashing prefs and trying everything else I suggested... and only if this happens for other existing sessions as well

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-28-2018 at 11:59 AM.