Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2011, 10:36 AM

Default Question about Instrument/Midi track(s)

So, from what i understand, when you insert a new instrument track (lets say Massive), you must also insert a Midi track and route the Midi track to the instrument track, correct?

If this is the case, is there a way around this? For example, is there a "shortcut" for inserting a new instrument track that automatically inserts the Midi track as well?

Excuse my "ignorance" as im coming from Logic 8, where all you needed to do was insert a new instrument track, load in your instrument (again, Massive) and just hit record and play away on the "virtual keyboard" (the caps lock key) or play on your controller keyboard (i usually use my Roland JP8000 as mine).

Thanks for any clarifications!!

-Sin
Old 12-22-2011, 11:03 AM

Default Re: Question about Instrument/Midi track(s)

Prior to Pro Tools 7.x only MIDI/AUX tracks were supported whether instantiating a computer-based instrument or a hardware-based instrument. Pro Tools 7.x implemented an Instrument track, combining both a MIDI track and an AUX track (audio thru). Instrument tracks are best suited for instantiating Virtual Instruments, for instance, NI Massive. However when routing hardware-based instruments, Instrument tracks didn't work as intended so thee old method of using MIDI/AUX track combinations is still favorable. So, an Instrument track can record a MIDI performance and route audio thru. What an Instrument track cannot do is record audio. Bus Record is required to record audio.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
Prior to Pro Tools 7.x only MIDI/AUX tracks were supported whether instantiating a computer-based instrument or a hardware-based instrument. Pro Tools 7.x implemented an Instrument track, combining both a MIDI track and an AUX track (audio thru). Instrument tracks are best suited for instantiating Virtual Instruments, for instance, NI Massive. However when routing hardware-based instruments, Instrument tracks didn't work as intended so thee old method of using MIDI/AUX track combinations is still favorable. So, an Instrument track can record a MIDI performance and route audio thru. What an Instrument track cannot do is record audio. Bus Record is required to record audio.
I got that. I was just curious if i start a new session, insert an instrument track, do i need to also insert a midi track and route it to the instrument track in order to record the instrument, whether its Absynth, Massive or any other VSTi out there.

Thanks!!!

-Sin
Old 12-22-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FT13 View Post
I got that. I was just curious if i start a new session, insert an instrument track, do i need to also insert a midi track and route it to the instrument track in order to record the instrument, whether its Absynth, Massive or any other VSTi out there.
No, I don't think you got what I said otherwise you would not be asking the same question. Instrument tracks record MIDI and pass audio generally for computer-based instruments. If an Instrument track records MIDI why would you require a MIDI track in the case discussed?
Old 12-22-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
No, I don't think you got what I said otherwise you would not be asking the same question. Instrument tracks record MIDI and pass audio generally for computer-based instruments. If an Instrument track records MIDI why would you require a MIDI track in the case discussed?
i was watching a few videos online and one of them was about setting up instrument tracks and they had mentioned about adding the midi track and then routing it to the instrument track, so i wasnt sure if that was necessary.

i appreciate the help! i feel im getting a better hang of PT9 now!!

thanks again!!

-Sin
Old 12-22-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FT13 View Post
i was watching a few videos online and one of them was about setting up instrument tracks and they had mentioned about adding the midi track and then routing it to the instrument track, so i wasnt sure if that was necessary.
Did the tutorial explain why they were using MIDI tracks in combination with Instrument tracks? That is an advanced method of use for multitimbral instruments. I would be surprised if that wasn't declared in the first instance.

...and welcome to the DUC.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Did the tutorial explain why they were using MIDI tracks in combination with Instrument tracks? That is an advanced method of use for multitimbral instruments. I would be surprised if that wasn't declared in the first instance.

...and welcome to the DUC.
i dont think that was ever mentioned....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4pKJabjxNs

that was the very first one i watched and i dont think he mentioned that.

and, thank you! :)

im sure ill be posting on here alot as i go along and learn my way around PT9.

-Sin
Old 12-23-2011, 09:44 AM

Basically, Protools Instrument tracks work exactly like Logic Instrument tracks.

You create one, insert a VI, press record, and it records your midi info, and allows you to hear your VI. You can then later on switch out the VI for a different one, and the same recorded midi info will now play that one.

However, to record it to an audio track, it will not bounce in place like Logic. You must bus the output of the Instrument track to an Audio Track, set the audio track inputs to that bus, record enable it, and record it in real time.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:56 AM

Sin, without sounding condescending, perhaps Groove3 tutorials, for instance, Pro Tools MIDI Explained would be better time spent.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Basically, Protools Instrument tracks work exactly like Logic Instrument tracks.

You create one, insert a VI, press record, and it records your midi info, and allows you to hear your VI. You can then later on switch out the VI for a different one, and the same recorded midi info will now play that one.

However, to record it to an audio track, it will not bounce in place like Logic. You must bus the output of the Instrument track to an Audio Track, set the audio track inputs to that bus, record enable it, and record it in real time.
i found that out by reading another post on here!

but thanks for the info! i do appreciate it!!!!

-Sin