Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-14-2002, 10:54 AM

Default Spirit M Series S/PDIF Out

Anyone here try adding a couple extra inputs to your 001 setup by using the digital out on the M Series? It's not exactly set up to do that, but you could hard pan two channels and they would end up as seperate channels coming in on the S/PDIF.

Any other views on the M Series? I've found surprisingly little written about them.

Leigh
Old 06-20-2002, 08:37 AM

Default Re: Spirit M Series S/PDIF Out

Anybody with good or bad experiences with Spirit M-Series? I'm interested in getting one. I'm looking at the Spirit Folio SX also, but it seems to be more targeted for live applications.

Any thoughts will be appreciated!
Old 06-20-2002, 10:07 AM

I've read good things about the pres in these boards, and would have bought one, but they max out at 12 mic pres. I wish they offered a 16 or 18 channel version. The 12 cannel board is good competition for the Mackie stuff, but I need more channels, so I picked up a Mackie 1604 pretty cheap.

I exchanged a lot of email with Soundcraft's M Series product developer/manager in England, and he sorta, kinda, more or less aluded to the idea that there were a lot of requests for more channels, and maybe, just maybe they'll produce this. There seems to be a good market for high quality preamps in a low cost board, and this could be it.

dave patterson / knobville
Old 06-20-2002, 10:28 AM

Location: From: Trinidad (Humboldt Co.); living: somewhere between Chicago and St.Louis...

I like my M12. For the money it sounds pretty good, and can do live or sessions equally well. I hardly ever track more than 12 open mic's at a time, so it works well for me. Like you said, the S/PDIF out isn't that well implemented (no W/C, etc.), but hey I don't see any S/PDIF outs on any other mixers at this price point...could've gave us an in too though... [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Now I'm saving up (half-way there) for a GhostLE... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-21-2002, 12:38 AM

It's a shame there's no barebones version of it.

No EQs or Mic Pres, just maybe 4 mono inputs, 4 stereo inputs and a couple of aux sends on each track all mixing down to 1 SP/DIF output. The M series seem to be the cheapest way of using the SD/DIF input on an AMIII or Digi001 anyway, all the extra stuff is just a bonus. I'd just like to see more compact mixer with a simpler spec and SD/DIF output.

There was something from Yamaha quite a few years ago that came in at about the £350 mark, it had midi and SP/DIF in/out and you could use it as control surface aswell, I can't remember what it was called, VS something I think. Something like that would be pretty good I think.
Old 06-21-2002, 07:57 AM

Thanks for these comments guys!

Helping me on my decision...