Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 05-16-2017, 08:16 AM

Default Re: Let's hear your latest stuff....right here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul23 View Post
Hope you enjoy and any mixing advice or comments would be much appreciated
I'll have a go.

My immediate reactions:
Those meters are really pinned to the max. That master limiter must be working heavy. I would never go that far. Yet there seems to be alot of dynamics in the individual tracks. Maybe it could benefit from more compression on each track and less on the master?
Vocal is certainly too uncompressed for my taste. And very dry. Makes it feel kinda unfinished. I would be thinking dubbing or delay.
Bass track is very buried in the mix.
Very nice guitars and drums.

Why the click track? Could it be that they lose a bit of feel and groove because of the click?
Old 05-16-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Thought I'd share this with you guys a recent band I had in who have only been together for 3 months but totally smashed it in the studio. They all knew their parts well and were very comfortable playing to a click. Vocalist done it all in 1 take. Hope you enjoy and any mixing advice or comments would be much appreciated

https://soundcloud.com/blaze-studios...ts-by-metanoia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pretty good song but i have to agree with ben ! No dynamic range there , sounds a little harsh and loose . Doesnt mean is bad but can be better . Its better to work the punch on indivudual tracks with comp and eq . Dont overdo the limiter on mastering and be more gentle on those highs . Cant hear the bass on my cellphone so i cant give an impression on it ! Overall is a good job !
Old 05-16-2017, 09:13 AM

Default Let's hear your latest stuff....right here

I love it....loose and live.

Compression on the vox track maybe a bit more just so I can hear the vocal a bit clearer....but that's totally negligible

I couldn't hear the bass track either...and I'm listening on nice headphones

Mostly I was listening for arrangements (how I would do it differently) which means the music and the mix sound really good to me.

For the record, I don't usually listen to rock, maybe that's why my tastes are different?

I don't know but one take on the vocals is awesome

Nice song that has great energy you should be very happy
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:46 AM

Thanks guys for all your great feedback I will bare all of it in mind on my next session.
I did master it myself and I'm no mastering engineer 1 bit. I'd love to have sent the track to a professional mastering out fit but the guys just didn't have the budget

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 05-16-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Thanks guys for all your great feedback I will bare all of it in mind on my next session.
I did master it myself and I'm no mastering engineer 1 bit. I'd love to have sent the track to a professional mastering out fit but the guys just didn't have the budget

Wow if that is the case ..i give you A+ ! Great job !
Old 06-22-2017, 02:59 PM

Hello everyone. New here since +/- 2006, that must be the year that I posted my last song here. Around these days I created a techno piece 'Citizen's Ways'. It is a very old song of mine and I have been out of music production a long time. I am really working on creating a lot of new stuff and I got myself a new rig for that goal.

There's a lot of awesome music going on here. Here's some of mine, an old one but new stuff is on the way

https://soundcloud.com/user-712297650/citizens-ways.

https://soundcloud.com/user-71229765...alther-jamming

The guitar is quite ennoying but the bass is awesome I must say, honoring my highly regarded music mate Onno R.I.P.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:27 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=669zBlXFk9k

Singing bowl concert 35,35 min.

This one is for relaxation and meditation. Those of you who want to hear harmonies and cunning mixing skills are gonna be very disappointed. It consists of a couple of Tibetan singing bowls that I bought partly in the Netherlands, partly in Rishikesh, India, home of the gurus. There is no melodic progression or rhythmic cadense.

This one is meant to calm the mind and ease your thoughts - if your open to that. The mind has a tendency to stay busy al the time out of force of habit. This can be pretty exhausting in its extreme. Listening to someone playing the singing bowls without any expectation, just undergoing the sound not looking for what´s to come next can result in a more silent state of mind and simplicity. Things are what they are and not what the mind makes out of it. You will find yourself in a more peaceful state if you drop all expectations.

If you´ve ever been at a location where they play the singing bowls, you´ll find that having them placed on your body, the vibrations penetrate your body tissues and deeply harmonize your system. Of course that´s not the same with this recording but it´s highly recommandable to join for a soundhealing as one might name it.

Lie down on your bed while the singing bowls sound through your high class stereo speakers, close your eyes and drift away

Enjoy.

P.S. Recorded with a Shure SM57 mic straight into the ULN8 interface, recorded with PT5.

Metric Halo ULN8 3D Interface, NI Komplete Control S49 midikeyboard

Macbook Pro M1, 2.5 GHz 8 core CPU, 32 Gb RAM, 1Tb storage, Monterey 12.6.6. PT Ultimate 2023.6, UVI Falcon 3.0 + some soundbanks, Waves Platinum bundle, some free Melda plugz, Metric Halo/Make Believe plugz.

Last edited by Voideco; 07-13-2017 at 11:29 AM. Reason: nuancing the message
Old 10-15-2017, 12:26 PM

Here is a track I just recorded, mixed, produced and mastered for a local singer song writer. Quite happy with how this turned out.

https://soundcloud.com/blaze-studios...-from-gameplan

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 10-15-2017, 01:17 PM

Sounds good Raoul! I find very interesting how you shaped the tone of the acoustic guitar with compression.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:05 AM

If the drummer was a better "in sync" player ... i heard this on another of your songs and do you have a real drummer or VI? Either way you should pay a lot of attention on getting everything playing in time.

Feel Good Song though and i like it as a starting point mix wise. Lots to do but good start.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————