Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 01-25-2017, 10:57 AM

Default Re: Pro tools 12.8 or 12.9 . . .

Simon2065,

Quote:
....+ easier Comping. Pro Tools is known for audio but Comping is clunky....
This!!! I've been struggling to get to grips with comp'ing using playlists, and having major issues.

Quote:
Need to be able to quickly select different sections in different playlists and then all selections are heard/compiled automatically. No need to manually "Copy Selection to Main Playlist" = Clunky.
Totally correct! I would desperately love to see this implemented. I have an ongoing discussion with an Avid engineer about losing our "Mute Frees Assigned Voices" (ie: manual voice assignment) workflows since TDM passed into history. I'm still on TDM and PT10HD, and I use this kind of manually assigned "Voice Stealing" method, to comp exactly as you've described. It's just not possible to recreate this kind of simple(r) workflow using Playlists. I have a friend who's good with PT and Cubase, and every time I raise this with him, he says Cubase does it well.

If you're interested in the starting point of my conversation with the Avid chap, this thread from Post #3 onwards:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=316448

Regards.

Steve Bush
Old 01-25-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gives View Post
HaaHaa!!

I find myself using Digital Performer whenever i really need to get into the Midi aspect of scoring. I started on that way back and it's been very stable, with a few hiccups in the early 2000's. Then those got ironed out. G
I got DP9 A few weeks ago and I must say thou the learning curve is steeper than with other DAWS there is an incredible amount of potential in DP for scoring... I'm blown away how far pro-tools is left behind in that aspect..
Old 01-25-2017, 03:31 PM

Hi Bushpig

Good to hear someone else finds it a problem. I was beginning to think I was the only one comping. For a best of breed audio DAW, Pro Tools needs to excel here not fall behind.

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.12 Win 10 Pro 22H2 Gigabyte GA-Z270 i7-7700K 32GB Ram UAD Apollo 8
Old 01-26-2017, 11:27 AM

+100000000000000000000

How about ability and to make our own custom articulation changes on same midi track (e.g. Expression mapping) or a script function to allow third party scripts

2013 iMac Late model i7 3.5 Ghz quad-core, 24 gigs ram, OSX 10.12.3
PC slave, i7 6700 4.0 Ghz quad-core, 64 gigs ram, SSD drives running VE Pro 7
Multiple external thunderbolt SSD hard drives
UAD Apollo X8, Twin Duo & Quad Satellite Thunderbolt
Townsend Sphere L22 w/ Putnam Mic Collection
LUNA (I have Pro Tools 2020 as well)
Old 06-24-2017, 09:18 PM

I bought Pro Tools back in 2013, as a student, when Avid was offering 4 year free updates, which to be honest, it was the best deal of any DAW at the time, so I just bought it.

In these 4 years the so called "free updates" would take months to arrive to my account. After avid changed to the "annual" thingy, it turned worse, my account would some times even go back and just give me previous updates. I had to contact multiple times Avid, just to get my account working, and after months of useless contact, my account was finally put "up to pair" to other regular accounts, giving me an anual subscription for the rest of my time, which was less than a year.

This month my annual subscription thingy expires, and I have no intention to renew it.

It has been half a year since the last big update, and I don't feel confortable paying for a year where I'm not sure if I will get more that a single update, without knowing even what it will have, or what the roadmap is.

Not to mention that Pro Tools have become more and more unstable on my system, which basically killed my productivity.

I cross graded in December to Studio One, and I'm more than happy with it. There are also free very substantial updates in Studio one without an anual subscription, and when they release the new mayor version, I will be paying for actual changes, not just wishing they will make any changes.

Pro Tools is a good piece of software, and I love it, but Avid handling of it is just painful.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
Avid is very aware that MIDI is at the top of the list for many Pro Tools users.
And yet still, here we are staring at Avids middle finger firmly pointed skyward!

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O

Last edited by zedhed; 09-15-2017 at 01:40 AM.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShikiByakko View Post
and when they release the new mayor version, I will be paying for actual changes, not just wishing they will make any changes.
I know it's frustrating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic1982 View Post
I kinda would like my $700 back please
Kinda nothing. I would like it back. I did 1 year after my initial purchase and I am done. 12.5.1 all the way.
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.