Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 08-08-2016, 01:56 AM

Default Re: Eleven Rack SPDIF

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Bechara View Post
Darryl, where is the option where I can verify if the Rack is set to received Digital In on SPDIF ??
In User Options (front panel User Options if Stand Alone, or in the User Options in the Eleven Rack Editor if connected to a computer via USB). All kind of described in the Eleven Rack User Guide. Search the PDF if you can't find it.
Old 08-08-2016, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Bechara View Post
Darryl, where is the option where I can verify if the Rack is set to received Digital In on SPDIF ??
Hold Edit/Back for Options. It's on the first page.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:09 AM

Got it !! Thanks :d
macOS 14.4.1
Pro Tools 2024.3.1
Logic Pro X
Reason 12

UA Apollo 8p
Apogee Thunderbridge/Apogee Symphony I/O 2x6
Eleven Rack/Focusrite ISA Two/Onyx 1640i
UAD Satellite Quad
MOOG Mother 32
Nektar Panorama P1
Axiom AIR 49/Axiom 49/Yamaha P35
Fender Mustang/Marshall Amp/Ibanez Pedals/Fender Strat/Yamaha FG820L/Martin DJr10e
Genelec 8040b/Yamaha HS80s/M-Audio BX5a
Beats Solo/Shure SRH1840/Slate VMS

https://open.spotify.com/artist/7KfV..._branch=1&nd=1
Old 08-10-2016, 12:25 AM

Guys I am really sorry to keep bugging you with this issue but I did all the steps and still unresolved ... One question ... let's say the cables were plugged incorrectly (input of SPDIF from my eleven rack in the input of my Apogee SPDIF instead of output)... would i be able to record the guitar like I am now ?? because I can record normally ... it's only the message i am receiving about unable to detect external clock
macOS 14.4.1
Pro Tools 2024.3.1
Logic Pro X
Reason 12

UA Apollo 8p
UAD Satellite Quad
MOOG Mother 32
Nektar Panorama P1
Fender Mustang/Marshall Amp/Ibanez Pedals/Fender Strat/Yamaha FG820L/Martin DJr10e

Old 04-27-2017, 06:01 AM

For whatever it's worth, I am also experiencing this issue. There are no actual symptoms of this, but I am getting the same message that the Eleven Rack is unable to lock to an external clock, even though it clearly is. I'm locking its clock to a 003 via S/PDIF, I know I have the connections and settings correct, yet the (seemingly incorrect) message remains.

Anyone know why it would be reporting incorrectly like that?
Apogee Quartet, Eleven Rack, 003, Command|8, OWC Thunderbolt 2 Dual-Drive Dock, OWC Mercury Electra 480 GB 6G SSD, OWC Mercury Elite Pro 250 GB 7200 RPM HDD
Old 04-28-2017, 01:02 AM

Thanks God someone raised the topic again ... I thought I was really stupid and double checked the connections a zillion times and bought MOGAMI cables to be sure they are not defective .... I was considering going for AES/EBU route ... but is it worth it ?
Can someone inspect this ?
macOS 14.4.1
Pro Tools 2024.3.1
Logic Pro X
Reason 12

UA Apollo 8p
UAD Satellite Quad
MOOG Mother 32
Nektar Panorama P1

Old 04-28-2017, 09:54 PM

Can somebody inspect what? Try it, swap different cables. If that does not work throw out the Eleven Rack... these are a few hundred dollars and not worth repairing.

And a general comment to anybody debugging S/PDIF problems besides any possible problem with the Eleven Rack a leading cause of problems is using an RCA audio cable instead of the RCA 75 ohm impedance digital (aka video) cable. You can usually pick up any low cost RCA digital/video cable. There is no need to buy a Mogami cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-29-2017, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Can somebody inspect what? Try it, swap different cables. If that does not work throw out the Eleven Rack... these are a few hundred dollars and not worth repairing.

And a general comment to anybody debugging S/PDIF problems besides any possible problem with the Eleven Rack a leading cause of problems is using an RCA audio cable instead of the RCA 75 ohm impedance digital (aka video) cable. You can usually pick up any low cost RCA digital/video cable. There is no need to buy a Mogami cable.

"Throw out the Eleven Rack?" Give me a break. It's a currently sold product in the Avid line-up, despite your [seemingly random] beef with it.

This is not operator error, and your advice on the proper type of cable to use after clearly stating that the cables and the physical setup aren't the issue, comes off rather condescendingly. Speaking for myself here, this isn't my first rodeo... I've been working with audio for over thirty years and I'm *well* aware of how to set-up a S/PDIF connection properly on both the hardware and software end of things.

This is clearly not an isolated incident, and we're trying to see if any progress has been made figuring out what bug is causing this error. If you don't know the answer, or are only posting with the intention of making others feel silly or that their equipment isn't up to snuff, then why bother posting at all, when it clearly comes across as trolling?

Now, moving on... has anyone else who uses an Eleven Rack experienced this, and if so, have you managed to figure out a way to resolve it?
Apogee Quartet, Eleven Rack, 003, Command|8, OWC Thunderbolt 2 Dual-Drive Dock, OWC Mercury Electra 480 GB 6G SSD, OWC Mercury Elite Pro 250 GB 7200 RPM HDD
Old 04-29-2017, 10:16 AM

I don't know what your problem is but these problems *are* isolated, if not then DUC would be full of people complaining about issues with the Eleven Rack. As folks have in the past. There have been relatively few complaints about this particular problem. So if you want to actually get work done and your box has this problem get another one. I have no "beef" with the Eleven Rack, I think it is a pretty good product for what it is. And was really great when released. But it is marginally supported by Avid and very likely effectively end of life and doubtful anybody is around at Avid who really cares about the product. The days of the product team members being active on DUC are long gone, those folks are off at other companies. So realistically if you have an Eleven Rack with S/PDIF problem and it's out of warranty and you need to get stuff done go buy a used one for a few hundred dollars. If you just like complaining about stuff then sure keep posting on DUC...

Old 04-29-2017, 11:41 AM

Who is expecting a response from Avid, and who is complaining? Certainly not I on either front. This is a users' conference. The only thing with which I took issue was your (continuingly) condescending tone to your response(s.) I didn't start this thread; I did a search in an attempt to do my due diligence and see if an enigmatic inconsistency I was experiencing was unique to my setup. Ergo, I found this thread discussing the very issue, and decided to chime in.

If you really don't understand why someone who is attempting to get feedback to a benign question on an online users' forum might possibly take issue with the resulting recommendation that he either get educated, or throw away his or her equipment, then I'm not sure what to tell you.

(Seriously though, as a side note, what year is this, anyway? Now that internet access has been ubiquitous for several years, who still really expects a company which happens to offer an online forum to actually pay interactive and present online representatives to consistently provide free, timely support to it on a reliable basis? Certainly not anyone based in reality. I assumed that was a given, frankly.)

As I stated in my first post above, this is not impeding my workflow. The only symptom I'm experiencing is the message itself. The clock is indeed actually locking via S/PDIF, the sample rate adjusts accordingly, and I'm not getting clocking issues.... it's just that the message *says* it's not. Thus, I wanted to see if anything new had been discovered since the thread had last been active. Does that make more sense to you now?