Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 11-17-2018, 01:14 PM

Default Re: Xpand2 playing on separate midi tracks...help!

hi Jeffro, The session you provided I only heard the instruments when I just clicked on the MIDI Editor's Keyboard, I never actually played the session.

sorry, I'm a little sure what you mean by this....."then select (highlight) the track (name) you are working on.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianoh View Post
hi Jeffro, The session you provided I only heard the instruments when I just clicked on the MIDI Editor's Keyboard, I never actually played the session.
Makes sense, still curious if you actually play the session if it triggers each part.
Quote:
sorry, I'm a little sure what you mean by this....."then select (highlight) the track (name) you are working on.
This is more useful when working with a controller, so you can just click on a track name to make the keyboard trigger that track/instrument (without having to Rec Enable the track).
Old 11-17-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Your video shows you have the "Inst 1" track selected in the MIDI Editor (black dot to the left of it in the upper left under Tracks), and it's likely set to ch1. Try changing that to the MIDI track you want the Editor to control.
wow this worked...what are you drinking Jeffro, its on me!

I didn't have any tracks armed, I just change the black dot to desired MIDI Track and I can hear that sound in isolation.

ill check to see if the session actually plays
Old 11-17-2018, 01:35 PM

Yes! And to clarify a bit more... the dot indicates display of a track's events (you can have any combination in case you want to see everything or just specific data) and you'll see a pencil to the right of the name indicating which track you are editing. Simply click to the right of a track's name to set the focus of the editor.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:38 PM

Jeffro, I tried playing your session and there was no sound.......now, I just opened the session and pressed play on the transport, I'm not sure if theres anything more I needed to do other than that.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:45 PM

so when the pencil is to the right of the Midi tracks name that means that thats the track I'll be editing??

also, when I click ON a midi track name that midi track will highlight but the pencil may not necessarily move to the track I've highlighted...what is the purpose of track being highlighted can I ask?
Old 11-17-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Jeffro, I tried playing your session and there was no sound.......now, I just opened the session and pressed play on the transport, I'm not sure if theres anything more I needed to do other than that.
You might need to change the output of the Aux Track for your system (but I think we solved the problem so not really needed at this point).
Old 11-17-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
so when the pencil is to the right of the Midi tracks name that means that thats the track I'll be editing??
Correct.
Quote:
also, when I click ON a midi track name that midi track will highlight but the pencil may not necessarily move to the track I've highlighted...what is the purpose of track being highlighted can I ask?
It controls what's displayed. You might want to just see one track (so it's less cluttered) or a combination (like a group of drums or all tracks) to see how they relate.
Old 11-17-2018, 02:30 PM

Youee an absolute star Jeffro, thanks very much, so much appreciated
Old 11-17-2018, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Youee an absolute star Jeffro, thanks very much, so much appreciated
That he is

Glad you're up and running.