Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 09-23-2018, 09:42 PM

Default Re: Is there a way to make these two sounds the same?

Ok i think i understand now .The video was no to show you what transients are . It was just to show you how to use the tab to transient feature and cut .

But ! If i got it right this time i think your kick is sounding softer behind the sample pattern right ? If so yes you can use Eq and compression or limiter to get yours there . But more important you will need an accurate monitoring and listening enviroment to get it right cause you gonna work with low freq content there .
Old 09-23-2018, 10:33 PM

Hey Buddy

You really need to read up alot about whatis what, likeh how does a eq and compressor works to make your basic sound get better and how they relateto eachother.

This guy is a great free source of everyting recording, has hundreds of great videos explaining in detail how to record better even with stock PT Plugins and the free sampler Structure which comes with all Pro Tools versions.

Check him out and listen to his manupulation of pretty basic drums get really good and try using the same plugins as he does for you to follow along easier.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9pfA14...fauxfullscreen

There are more great vidoes explaining what you are looking for like super mixer engineer Dave Pensado at this link with his "Into the Lair" series also free.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DVK5H_...fauxfullscreen

There are many very good videos on youtube that explains in detail how to make alterations to any sound, drums, vocals, guitars etc so use that as itis way easier to watch someone do this than trying to explain from the beginning to a beginner what tools to use and so on

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

As Jeam said, you do need a good setof headphones or monitors in a "better than a bedroom" accoustic environment so if you are just now starting out with music I would get good headphones so you can differentiate the signal and what eq and compressors etc does to the original sound you wanna work on.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-23-2018, 10:49 PM

Here is another good video on kick drums edited to fit a song.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uz9ekLR_Myo

You can use the stock plugins insteadof the eq he is using but eventually you would need to invest in some third party stuff to go further.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-24-2018, 01:36 AM

With all due respect, I do appreciate these tutorials but they are not beginner friendly. He doesn't give examples in the beginning to show me what he's actually going to do. The only way I can find out is watching 30 minutes of a video that may not actually have anything to do with what I want to know right now.

Yes, he shows how to get a punchier kick but in the end the result is just a slight difference (definitely an improvement) but what I want is not slight, I want a more heavy difference.

Yes, sure. Having punchy kicks are cool but I want to literally distort the kick into another kick. I do not only want it to be punchy. I want heavy FX that change the sound completely and I just can not find it anywhere.

I'm starting to think that it's not possible in pro tools.. even though I was sure that it was.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lue View Post
With all due respect, I do appreciate these tutorials but they are not beginner friendly. He doesn't give examples in the beginning to show me what he's actually going to do. The only way I can find out is watching 30 minutes of a video that may not actually have anything to do with what I want to know right now.

Yes, he shows how to get a punchier kick but in the end the result is just a slight difference (definitely an improvement) but what I want is not slight, I want a more heavy difference.

Yes, sure. Having punchy kicks are cool but I want to literally distort the kick into another kick. I do not only want it to be punchy. I want heavy FX that change the sound completely and I just can not find it anywhere.

I'm starting to think that it's not possible in pro tools.. even though I was sure that it was.
You can't run before you walk, do what we said to you in this thread:
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...1&share_type=t
Old 09-24-2018, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
You can't run before you walk, do what we said to you in this thread:
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...1&share_type=t
Amen!

And this is a forum for Pro Tools info and ideas, not that much tutorial based so the help you need is gonna be hard to get here as there are soo much you need to learn before we can help you. The questions you are asking about the drums for example are asy made by adding some Sound Toys Distortion plugins or any distortion plugin for that matter aswell as good eq'ing and manipulation which we all do in Pro Tools so it can and is done but these things takes time, there isn't an app for getting great sounding stuff out of a cardboard sounding kickdrum from soundcloud, you need to start with the basics and learn how to get where you wanna go and thats why I say that this forum wont get you there as you need to start from the beginning with production techniques.

And the tutorials pointed to are great learning for anyone and as there are hundreds of into the lair for example you need to search a little bit. Also Produce like a pro is a great platform and the same there, you need to go thru the videos and find what it is you wanna do.

My best guess is that you dont know how to get the sound you want with the plugins in PT so as I said you will need third party plugins from various developers to get more out of the box but thise plugins cost money and you need to start somewhere and that investment is needed in order to get the results. Many of us here have several hundred third party plugins we use as the ones inside PT aren't that exciting unless you do eq compression limiting and some reverb and delays so the stuff that does more cool sounds are third party plugins.

If you have a the Pro Tools First (free copy) you can only use plugins bought from Avid Marketplace inside PT but if you have a Full paid for version then you can use any AAX64 bit version of third party plugins.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-24-2018, 03:32 AM

I did invest. The "cardboard soundcloud sounds" are from an instrument pack that cost $400. I assumed that when I used it, it would either sound good or like it does in the demo but apparently not. I think I need to download some plugins and things like that to make it sound good. I do have the full version of pro tools. I do want to learn, but the things I want to learn are too "simple" and "easy" for people to make a good beginner tutorial on it, so they just skip over the details assuming everyone knows. Which is understandable, but makes me wonder how other people get started. I assume they have a tutor.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lue View Post
I did invest. The "cardboard soundcloud sounds" are from an instrument pack that cost $400. I assumed that when I used it, it would either sound good or like it does in the demo but apparently not. I think I need to download some plugins and things like that to make it sound good. I do have the full version of pro tools. I do want to learn, but the things I want to learn are too "simple" and "easy" for people to make a good beginner tutorial on it, so they just skip over the details assuming everyone knows. Which is understandable, but makes me wonder how other people get started. I assume they have a tutor.
That's not true, I bet you haven't checked the links I and others have posted on your other thread. As long as you don't understand the basic audio concepts and language you are wasting your time trying to understand what others are saying. Sell your $400 plugin bundle and invest in some basic audio lessons, it will change your sounds more and help you achieve your goals, at the end Pro Tools comes with all the plugins you need included for free.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Amen!

And this is a forum for Pro Tools info and ideas, not that much tutorial based so the help you need is gonna be hard to get here as there are soo much you need to learn before we can help you. The questions you are asking about the drums for example are asy made by adding some Sound Toys Distortion plugins or any distortion plugin for that matter aswell as good eq'ing and manipulation which we all do in Pro Tools so it can and is done but these things takes time, there isn't an app for getting great sounding stuff out of a cardboard sounding kickdrum from soundcloud, you need to start with the basics and learn how to get where you wanna go and thats why I say that this forum wont get you there as you need to start from the beginning with production techniques.

And the tutorials pointed to are great learning for anyone and as there are hundreds of into the lair for example you need to search a little bit. Also Produce like a pro is a great platform and the same there, you need to go thru the videos and find what it is you wanna do.

My best guess is that you dont know how to get the sound you want with the plugins in PT so as I said you will need third party plugins from various developers to get more out of the box but thise plugins cost money and you need to start somewhere and that investment is needed in order to get the results. Many of us here have several hundred third party plugins we use as the ones inside PT aren't that exciting unless you do eq compression limiting and some reverb and delays so the stuff that does more cool sounds are third party plugins.

If you have a the Pro Tools First (free copy) you can only use plugins bought from Avid Marketplace inside PT but if you have a Full paid for version then you can use any AAX64 bit version of third party plugins.
The Soundtoys stuff is amazing for what it can do for drums. I'd suggest to lue is to get the whole Soundtoys system and combine that with a good outboard compressor like Stillwell Rocket. The reason I say to get the whole Soundtoys bundle is while Decapitator is an excellent saturation module combining that with the Altec 1567 can really add punch to a drum kit. Alas the one processor that isn't in the system is a compressor hence the Rocket.

While it's tempting to just dive in and start mucking about with presets and twisting knobs a good background knowledge of what certain sound modifiers (eq, compression, saturators, etc.) do is essential. In addition to the learning sources mentioned the courses at Groove 3 are excellent but they do cost money. Grab an all-pass bundle when they come up on sale at various times of the year - that will get you a year's worth of training videos that encompass everything on the site.

QAPLA!
Old 09-24-2018, 05:40 AM

First, it may be impossible to get yours to sound exactly the same without using samples as a lot of recordings out there have both a recorded live kick layered with various sampled kicks to get the sound the producer/musicians were trying for. Next, the way to start is to get as close as possible using mic type, mic placement, drum tuning, the basics. If you don't have the same drum size, head, and microphone then it is more difficult, but get as close to a similar sound as possible. Then you will need to use processing to get you the rest of the way-eq, compression, transient designer, parallel processing, pitch shifting and as stated previously, possible sample layering. There are a lot of videos on kick drum processing and there are no specific settings I can give you so you'll have to experiment on your own