Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2007, 04:25 PM

Default Jeff Han\'s \"no-interface\" interface - soon for ProTools ???

Hello All

I stumbled upon this demonstratin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKh1Rv0PlOQ

Pretty amazing isn't it?

Does anybody know if we can hope for a similar interface for ProTools, sometime in the future ?
(I mean in less than 20 years...) The technology is there!

Don't you think that such an interface will make today's controllers obsolete?

ith
Old 04-12-2007, 07:26 PM

Default Re: Jeff Han\'s \"no-interface\" interface - soon for ProTools ???

I'd take it over a C8

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 04-13-2007, 01:07 AM

Default Re: Jeff Han\'s \"no-interface\" interface - soon for ProTools

Quote:

Don't you think that such an interface will make today's controllers obsolete?

ith
I'm not so sure about. Somewhat the same question has been raised since Lemur was released, and I sort of agree with the critics, the faders and knobs, I mean the physical not the GUI in your DAW brings one dimension no touch screen can do - feel.

With that said, I'm a sucker for touch screens
Old 04-13-2007, 02:50 AM

Default Re: Jeff Han\'s \"no-interface\" interface - soon for ProTools ???

i pose a question. do you think the rotary potentiometer was introduced to save space on consoles or for feel? i quite agree, there's nothing like the feel of turning a knob(no innuendo intended ) but could we slide a virtual fader for all things knob associated and still retain that physical aspect of mixing? that said, it would be pretty cool sliding your seat along a touch screen the length of your monitor room. not that it would need to be that big....
Old 04-13-2007, 07:08 AM

I wasn't aware of that Lenard thingy... Hmm looks pretty cool (although a little small...)

Me too, I'm a sucker for "real" (as opposed to "virtual") gear. There's nothing like turning a knob or moving a fader - as long as it's controling the sound directly, like in analog consoles. When it comes to soft knobs and faders that just send commands to a computer, it doesn't feel the same at all. That's why I don't like all those controllers.

On the other hand, working with the mouse is really like working with one finger, which is a bummer too.

That's why I think that a 42" multi-touch screen would be a winner - if we're getting virtual, let's get virtual all the way if you know what I mean... Let me cut and move audio regions with my bare hands, let me zoom in and out by "straching" the image with two fingers, let me balance tracks my closing my eyes and moving several faders all at once, until it sounds right.

Man, I wish it will be a reality soon!

Does anybody know if Digidesign is making any research in this direction?

ith
Old 04-13-2007, 07:59 AM

oh man, that thing is sweeeeet! Notice though that from the vid everything still seems to be running off of a box as opposed to the virtual light systems that you can select stuff out of via Minority Report, or in the episode of Startrek Enterprise where they met the dude from the future named Daniels and they were pulling ship specs with that little hand held device that lit up to a 42 in. virtual screen. hehe This is a step in the right direction though I suppose...