How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2010, 07:39 AM

Default Dcommand doesn't write C4 automation with Preview

Anyone come across this....

I'm writing automation in preview with the Dcommand using Waves C4.I print automation using 'Write automation to selection' I am using a custom map and alot of the time it doesnt actually write the previewed settings.

If I use the DYNAMICS panel to control C4 it almost never writes the automation.

Any ideas?
Old 07-21-2010, 11:36 AM

Default Re: Dcommand doesn't write C4 automation with Preview

Almost never? Sounds weird.

Plugin Auto is enabled right?
The parameters are enabled right?
Can you draw it in and it'll playback?

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:45 AM

Yes, works fine using the mouse. Dcommand changes settings while in preview but doesn't write them when write to selected?
Old 07-21-2010, 01:54 PM

just tried it on our d-control from the dynamics and eq sections and it seems to be working ok so it may be a d-command specific problem.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:45 AM

So just to verify that I have a dodgy Dcommand. Can someone confirm that they can control Waves C4 with the dynamics section of a Dcommand?

Although mine actually does map and control the plugin parameters. Protools never actually recognises this as a change of automation, by having the 'automation type' turn green under the track name in the edit page.
Other plugins seem fine??
Old 07-22-2010, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moviesound View Post
So just to verify that I have a dodgy Dcommand. Can someone confirm that they can control Waves C4 with the dynamics section of a Dcommand?
Hi,
C4's Master parameters (Threshold/Gain/Range/Attack/Release) are generally not automatable. Unfortunatelly, those are the parameters which show up on the D-Command's dynamics section. I think Waves has to update this because afaik a user can do nothing against it.

The only 2 parameters which are automatable assigned to the dynamics section, are Knee and Output.

C4's EQ parameters are showing up on the D-Command's EQ-section and are all automatable.

It's of course the same if I use the C4 in the Custom Fader section (Custom Fader Channel Encoders .... to be more precise).

But - I can "control" the C4s MasterParameterValues which are showing up within the D-Command's Dynamics section .... to refer to your quote
MacPro5,1 ; 6-Core Intel Xeon 3,46 GHz, 32 Gig Ram, NVIDIA Quadro K5000 with 3 displays connected  OSX10.15.7  Pro Tools|HDX Ultimate 2023.6  HD I/O&192Digital&96&96i I/Os  D-Command ES  4xUnitor8 & 2xAMT8
Old 07-22-2010, 08:03 AM

Thanks Steff,

Interesting. So you say 'I can "control" the C4s MasterParameterValues which are showing up within the D-Command's Dynamics section'

I can control these but not write as automation. i.e. the dynamics section moves these parameters but when in preview the 'auto type' doesnt turn green, therefore I cant write automation.

Using the mouse these master controls can be written. So surely its a dcommand fault, not Waves. Is this the same your end?
Old 07-22-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Thanks Steff,

Interesting. So you say 'I can "control" the C4s MasterParameterValues which are showing up within the D-Command's Dynamics section'

I can control these but not write as automation. i.e. the dynamics section moves these parameters but when in preview the 'auto type' doesnt turn green, therefore I cant write automation.

Using the mouse these master controls can be written. So surely its a dcommand fault, not Waves. Is this the same your end?
It depends on if the individual parameters (like Band) controlled by the Master section of the C4 are automation enabled or not.

For instance, if you have all automatable parameters automation enabled, then of course it will work with the mouse, as this points directly to the individual parameters of theses controls.

But if you look into the Plug-In Automation Window where u can find all automatable parameters, you won't find a dedicated parameter entry for Master-Threshold, Master-Gain, Master-Range and so on.

And that's exactly where IMO the culprit is burried
MacPro5,1 ; 6-Core Intel Xeon 3,46 GHz, 32 Gig Ram, NVIDIA Quadro K5000 with 3 displays connected  OSX10.15.7  Pro Tools|HDX Ultimate 2023.6  HD I/O&192Digital&96&96i I/Os  D-Command ES  4xUnitor8 & 2xAMT8
Old 07-22-2010, 08:46 AM

Quote:
So surely its a dcommand fault, not Waves. Is this the same your end?
Well I donno if it's a D-Command fault or a Waves fault. All I know is, that we (as users) can do almost nothing against it. I think it's a question of how the PlugIn's parameters themselves are organized for automation purposes.

Question is next, if it works with mouse, it should of course work with the D-Command too. But is the parameter flow/design of the D-Command same as if u touch a parameter with the mouse within PT-SW ?

And yes, it's the same here. I didn't try with preview, just checked directly with write & latch. But if it won't work with write/touch/latch themselves then of course it won't work with preview either
Old 07-22-2010, 08:56 AM

Thanks Steff. Yes you're right, thats what it will be. Still strange though how one can automate something with the mouse and not the Dcommand.
Thanks for putting my mind at ease. Digi claimed it worked at their end!