Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 12-01-2003, 01:06 PM

Default Killer kick sound

Hi guys i need some help here no matter how I try I can´t seem to get a big sound out of my kick drum I use a beta 52 though a art mp studio v3 straight to the 001, ive also tried sending the mic to a soundcraft mixer and a studiomaster mixer but cant seem to get it right any thoughts
Old 12-01-2003, 01:53 PM

Default Re: Killer kick sound

Look I aint no pro on this but I had the same problem soo this is what I did:
if you are trying to hat that boWWWWWWW sound try removing the thing's out of your kickdrum.
if you are trying to get the BO sound then place a pillow in you kick drum and place it so it leans on the side that the hitter hits.

hope it help you
Old 12-01-2003, 02:48 PM

Or replace the kick with a sampled sound. Sometimes this is the best approach.
Old 12-01-2003, 03:15 PM

try duplicating the kick drum track
eq one for the high clicking sound
and eq one for the low end
Old 12-01-2003, 03:31 PM

Drums IMO are the most difficult thing to get a sound on.The best thing to do is get your self someone to help you record.Try different room setups and record just your drums for 1 minute at a time save it then try something else.Really yo just have to experiment.If you want a slap click sound go with a wood beater.Have Fun Stu
Old 12-01-2003, 04:02 PM

Here's some tips:

- get some weight into the kick drum, a 25lb plastic sand-filled dumbell weight works well, found at many thrift shops
- remove the outer skin, extend the drum shell 2-3' with carpet in a tube shape, use the clamping rim fron the drum to hold its shape
- place the mic at different spots, often works well about 1' from end of tube
- cover and seal the tube with a blanket for better isolation
- use compression settings with long attack (65-80ms) and a relatively short release (15-25ms), 3:1 to 5:1 ratio
- large diaphram condensers work very well, but since you're using a dynamic mic, it might help to get a small diaphram condenser on the beater
Old 12-01-2003, 06:50 PM

What specificially is your kick sound lacking? dDo you hear this sound acoustically? If not, then that's your problem.

where do you place the mic? what size drum, is there a mic hole? Typically I place the mic so the blue band is even with the front head if there is a hole. I find the 52 does not work that well with double headed kicks, but that's just MHO.

I personally find bass drum to be the easiest to get a good sound on, however it has to sound good first acoustically. get that drum to sound the way you want it to sound when it's recorded.

Ovehead sound plays a big key in the kick sound, as it is the basis (IMHO) of the drumset sound. (remember, it's one big instrument.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:40 PM

hotstuff,

I did have a beta 52 that was giving me trouble (a honky sound) with the beta52 i just scooped out the honky mids after I tracked it with plugs and brought up the highs/click a bit and the mic sounded great....I found that the 52 was a bit fussy to place properly.

start out by placing directly at the beater dead center about 3-4 inches away from (inside) beater head. then angle it up to the top left corner as if you were trying to aim the mic just over the bottom head/rim of the floor tom. thats where the 52 sounded best for me.

Also, try to back off on the tube drive of the art, keep it at a lower gain as too not push the tube so hard. (for a cleaner sound). i did notice the 52 did not like the heavy tube color through its mids.

you can also try a second mic about 1-3ft in front of the kick. a Large diaphram mic works well and I prefer a front head with a hole in it.

good luck!
Old 12-02-2003, 09:20 AM

Ovehead sound plays a big key in the kick sound, as it is the basis (IMHO) of the drumset sound. (remember, it's one big instrument.

Gotta disagree with you there. Overheads can pick up a modicum of kick, but really all that's audible in a mix would be categorized as room sound generated by the midrange snap. I find it's better to get the kick isolated and for room sound re-amp it in the same room through a good bass amp. I've even deliberately had my car keys and loose change rattle on a table in the room with an MC012 on them for effect during drum solos.

I do agree that the overheads are the key component to the sound of the kit, but it's not one big instrument, it's an ensemble of different instruments. Cymbals, cowbell, timbale, roto-toms, snare, double-skinned toms, concert toms, kick, etc... they all require different processes to capture effectively, which is why drums can be so difficult. Ideally there should be a percussionist for each component, but that's just not how it ends up.
Old 12-02-2003, 09:48 AM

Hi guys just got back from work!FREE!!! im new here and its good to see the input and that everybodys wants to help I guess the main problem might be with the acoustic sound of the kick, its a 20" with a hole in the front its got a heavy blanket in it and I use Remo heads, thanks for all the tips! Ive now got a lot of experimenting to do