Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2007, 09:12 PM

Default I HAVE BEEN SCAMMED!!!! WHAT NEXT???

hey there thought id chime in and get some advice possibly or at least maybe keep someone else from getting scammed.

i mostly never buy anything off of Trading Post but I went against my better judgement and bought a set of Dynaudio BM5A's off of the Sweetwater Trading Post ( I KNOW A LOT OF SCAMMERS UST IT ) and let him get me out of 535 Buckeroos.

after realizing i had been scammed i posted an alert on the trading post and was able to talk to more people that had fell for the same scam. i was lucky enough to get this Scammers Phone Number and an actual Residential Address where he gets his mail. But Paypal isnt doing much My Credit Card which i used to fund the Purchase isnt doing anything either. The athorities in my area or his area dont seem too interested . Is there anything i can do to bring this guy to justice besides Driving 4 hours and BEATING him like he beat me.

I know i will probably never see my money again. i can live with that. but it is hard to walk away and let him do it again to someone else. I am open to suggestions before i take matters into MY OWN HANDS !!!!

IS THIS NOT ILLEGAL

Any ideas from anyone that has been through this is going to be a great help. and may even keep me out of JAIL LOL

Thanks,
Russell
Old 03-28-2007, 10:52 PM

Default Re: I HAVE BEEN SCAMMED!!!! WHAT NEXT???

If you used a credit card, you should be able to dispute it and get your money back. Give them another call and speak with someone else. Don't give up, Good luck.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:46 PM

that is what i thought too. but discover card which i used to fund the paypal purchase says probably not. i have not given up though. i know one thing until i get my money this scammer is not safe. i will seek revenge on him. and i will not forget it. and if discover card and paypal dont stand behind me that will be the end of my dealings with them. any info on this type of thing would be greatly appreciated to anyone that might have an insight or information that might help me out.

Thanks,
Russell
Old 03-29-2007, 12:48 AM

I believe the Feds deal with online crime.. do a Google on the terms: online crime FBI

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 03-29-2007, 12:17 PM

In the words of the dude from the Waterboy movie "cut his ********** head off!"... all joking aside, like Rail mentioned, get the Fed's involved, and keep going up the command line at Discover until someone is able to help you. I believe it is actually a law where fradulant purchases like that can't be held against you in their contract somehow.

also, I am sure you know this already... but watch where you purchase stuff from. What I usually do is research credibility of places online before making purchases...especially of that magnitude. Not to mention.. if something sounds too good to be true, it usually is... Goodluck with catching the people and prosecuting them though, hopefully you'll be able to get the credit card company involved to reverse the charges and help prosecute whomever...
Old 03-29-2007, 03:05 PM

I had my identify stolen last year. The thief had a mailing address listed on most of the stolen purchases. Both the credit card company and the local police were uninterested in pursuing the matter even though we had an address for the thief!

The credit card company told me not to worry because I was insured. Sure, I got my money back - but the credit company wasn't interested in prosecuting the thief. They just stuck it to the insurance company.

The police department said that they simply couldn't pursue the matter. It happenes so frequently that they just couldn't track down and arrest everyone that uses stolen credit cards. They too told me to stick it to the insurance company and be glad I got my money back.

The thief totally got away with it. I told the credit counselors that thieves will continue to do this until the law starts to care about tracking these people down. No one cares. Until insurance companies start to push back on the credit card companies, we're all free to steal as much as we want online. It's anarchy pure and simple. The system is utterly and completely broken.
Mbox2/MboxMicro
ProTools 8.0
Old 03-29-2007, 05:54 PM

In all fairness, leave Discover out of this. Your dispute isn’t with them. PayPal charged the card and you agreed to the terms of PayPal. Discover really can’t do anything. Your dispute is with PayPal and the crook.

In any case, sorry to hear about this.

"I bent my wookie"
Old 03-29-2007, 08:34 PM

I appreciate you guys input i will keep you informed on how this turns out. but any other ideas from anyone that hasnt chimed in feel free ill keep an eye on this post until i get this resolved

Thanks,
Russell
Old 04-11-2007, 01:56 PM

i disagree with you charles...paypal sucks ass and they do absolutely nothing to help out folks that have gotten small time scammed though using their service. this means that paypal really offers no protection and your next step is to make sure that the credit card companies know that paypal is a flipping joke when it comes to protecting its customers.

so call up discover and tell them that paypal scammed you out of your money for claiming to protect bogus paypal transactions.

if the cards hear enough complaints about paypal (they have gotten plenty from me and i no longer use them) and have to pay for bad transactions they may just drop paypal.

-c