Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24

Old 03-13-2019, 08:31 AM

Default D-Command to D-Control

Hey everyone,

Wanted to get your thoughts on doing an upgrade from a 24 fader D-command to a 16 fader D-Control.I've noticed that D-Control prices have been dropping pretty quickly recently. I've been on the D-command for about 3 years and have really loved the experience with it. I mostly mix music and the quick access to the automation features is such a huge part of my work flow now that I really miss using pro tools with out it. Also, having VCA spill and eq and dynamics control makes for so much less mouse/screen time. It has been a way more pleasant pro tools experience

It seems like the extra encoders on channel strips and the expanded eq and dynamics section would be a great improvement in flexibility. To me that would be the biggest benefit. I mostly only use plugins that map well to the eq and dynamics sections (Avid, Sonnox, PluginAlliance) but it would be nice to have more encoders to create custom maps for specific plugs.

So all that being said is it worth it? Are there any other D-command users having similar thoughts? or D-Control users that don't think it's worth the upgrade? Anyone want to talk me out of it?

There also the question of how much longer Avid will continue to support the ICON line. I currently go back and forth between a PT10 system and PT12 system and at some point will probably just sit on wherever they end support.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Jared
Old 03-13-2019, 01:34 PM

Default Re: D-Command to D-Control

If you love the hands on nature of the D Command it really only gets better and better with the D Control. More dedicated knobs, less paging over to find parameters that you want. Even with 8 fewer faders, it's a beast of a machine.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:33 AM

Yeah, that's what I've been thinking. That sounds like a go for it vote. I just want to make sure I'm not jumping into something that I might regret.

Thanks for your input.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:44 AM

The D-Control is a great thing.
One thing though that is not to be underestimated though is how big it is.

That's the main thing I didn't like about it.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:51 AM

Hi,

I've been using a D-Command for a decade and love it! I too have seen prices on D-Controls drop and have considered the same question. My concerns are:

Size-
The D-Control is a lot bigger than the D-Command and I have talked with some long time D-Control users who complain about how far a reach it is to get to the top of the console.

Less faders-
I am quite accustomed to 24 faders, dropping to 16 would take some adjustment

Longevity and parts-
Buying a used D-Control that is no longer supported by Avid means a shrinking supply of parts available as time goes on. I'm already collecting and stockpiling faders and other spare parts for my D-Command as some parts are already becoming harder to find.

So I personally am sticking with my D-Command. But let us know what you decide to do!
M1MAX Mac Studio OS 14.3, PT2023.12.1, HDX, S1/Dock
M1 PRO MacBook Pro OS 14.3, PT2033.12.1, BabyFacePro FS
Old 03-25-2019, 02:03 PM

Yes size is definitely a concern that I’m looking into. That’s one of the details that’s making wait for now. I do know of one d-control in my area and hopefully I can get some time in front of it

The one positive aspect of the d-control for me is the width. I have a producer desk on the right side of my d-command that has my keyboard mouse and monitor on it. So I have a really wide d-command. So a 16 fader d-control is actually less wide and would allow for the d-control to push up pretty close to my speaker stands. So I would be about the same distance from my speakers with the d-control as I am with the d-command. However, the depth of the d-control does concern me a bit. In some of the pictures I’ve seen it looks like you almost have to stand up to get to some of the top encoders. That obviously isn’t ideal. I need to sit in front of a d-control and actually work with it to test the erganomics.

I hear you about the faders, I’m kind of on the fence of how much that would be a loss for me. When I use the faders a lot I’m usually using them with VCAs and it’s rare that I have a VCA group that doesn’t fit easily across 10 or 12 faders. And I can usually get around easy enough that I don’t for see having lot’s of issues nudging or banking to quickly find things. You make a good point though and I should really give it some serious thought because I might be taking for granted having 24 and I might really miss them once they’re gone.

Obviously, parts is going to be a concern in the not too distant future. I have to say I’m really impressed with the build quality of my blue d-command. I’ve replaced power supplies and faders and that’s it thus far (I bought it in rough shape needing faders and power supplies). I thought maybe I was having encoder problems but after cleaning ribbon cables all of those problems disappeared. I am a little concerned about the encoders buttons and LEDs but I’ve yet to really have any problems. So knock on wood hopefully that continues. What kinds of failures have you run into Will?, and what are you stockpiling?

I don’t know if the d-control is prone to more maintenance issues maybe it runs hotter?
Old 04-02-2019, 06:24 AM

I have a D-Control and its been basically worry free for years. I've had no faders or meters go bad. I have had my LED PSU go out in one fader pack. So I bought new PSU's for all units and replaced them all at the same time. No other issues whatsoever. Yes its old tech, and No, AVID does not support it in any way, shape or fashion. But...Its a control surface. It's a great to have, but if mine went out I'm skilled enough to get everything done in PT. Additionally, there are companies that service these and will for the foreseeable future. Unless you are rough with the console and mistreat it and or don't do an adequate job protecting it, power and elements, it will work beautifully. Size does matter here, however. LOL. But I will tell you, I have a mental (and skill frankly) advantage over other studios due to the sheer size and mental "weight" artist place on me having and operating one of these massive boards. Knowing how to use every function requires expertise and attention to detail. If you have the space and the spare change to buy a used one, move immediately to the D-Control. You'll have bigger muscles (from lifting it) and a better studio experience in the end.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrej770 View Post
I have a D-Control and its been basically worry free for years. I've had no faders or meters go bad. I have had my LED PSU go out in one fader pack. So I bought new PSU's for all units and replaced them all at the same time. No other issues whatsoever. Yes its old tech, and No, AVID does not support it in any way, shape or fashion. But...Its a control surface. It's a great to have, but if mine went out I'm skilled enough to get everything done in PT. Additionally, there are companies that service these and will for the foreseeable future. Unless you are rough with the console and mistreat it and or don't do an adequate job protecting it, power and elements, it will work beautifully. Size does matter here, however. LOL. But I will tell you, I have a mental (and skill frankly) advantage over other studios due to the sheer size and mental "weight" artist place on me having and operating one of these massive boards. Knowing how to use every function requires expertise and attention to detail. If you have the space and the spare change to buy a used one, move immediately to the D-Control. You'll have bigger muscles (from lifting it) and a better studio experience in the end.
Agree. D control is a monster in studio aesthetics.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 12-21-2020, 02:19 PM

Well I did it! I've been sitting in front of a blue D-Control for about 2 weeks now. So far I'm really happy with the decision. I'm still working out some of the ergonomic changes. Got to retrain the muscle memory. But, I think I'll be over that in a few weeks.

The expanded EQ and Dynamics is great not paging for the mid band and filters is so much faster. Also, having the dedicated EQ and DYN buttons on the channel strips is great and obviously the channel strip encoders. I've started making maps for more plugins. It's like the D-Command just more.

I do wish it had 8 more faders. but I don't miss them enough to give up all of the other benefits. and getting to the top row of encoders is a bit of a stretch but I haven't needed to get up there too much.

If anyone is looking for a D-Command or Producers Desk:
https://rvrb.io/2000s-d-command-frjpd8
https://rvrb.io/2000s-d-command-pr-spzkre
Old 12-21-2020, 02:33 PM

Congratulations! I hope you love it!
M1MAX Mac Studio OS 14.3, PT2023.12.1, HDX, S1/Dock
M1 PRO MacBook Pro OS 14.3, PT2033.12.1, BabyFacePro FS