Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2009, 01:38 PM

Default Pro Tools LE 8.0.1 Update Problem

Hi there.

I am having trouble trying to update protools LE from 8 to 8.0.1 and I thought someone might be able to help.

I am basically having trouble extracting the zip file that I have downloaded from the digi site. I know there was a post or two about similar problems in regards to extracting the update from 7.x to 8 but I can't find any posts about 8.0.1. Here's what happens...

I download the update, but everytime I try to extract the file it says it is corrupt. I'm running a PC using Vista. I have tried it on 3 separate computers (all PCS, 2 vista, 1 XP) and I get the exact same problem.

The error message is this...

! C:\PROTOOLSUP\Pro_Tools_LE_801_Updater_61564.zip: CRC failed in Pro Tools LE Updater\Pro Tools LE 8.0.1 Updater.exe. The file is corrupt

I've tried extracting the file as an administrator in vista and it still won't work. I've downloaded the latest version of winrar and it doesn't make a difference.

Can anyone help me? I'm assuming that people have been able to extract the files (otherwise there would be similar posts) but I've tried using several computers and redownloading the file etc and it still won't work so I'm not sure what the problem is.

I emailed the support guys last week but haven't got a response yet.

Thanks in advance.

Naz
Old 10-06-2009, 02:34 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools LE 8.0.1 Update Problem

You downloaded this file from the Digidesign website? Also, you legally own PT8.0?
[email protected]
631 786 3924

Freelance Mac/Pro Tools tech for hire. Metro New York Area.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:06 PM

I suspect you are trying to run the executable file from within the compressed folder. First unzip the entire contents then run the file.

How does that work for you?
MBox /PT not supported under Win7 - I didn't leave PT, PT left me!
11/30/2009 - MBox, REAPER

http://www.jazzmandan.com
Old 10-06-2009, 04:54 PM

Have you tried a fresh download?

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 10-06-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
I thought he said he could not get it to extract? If he is trying to run it from within the compressed folder it should prompt him to extract or self extract since he is on Vista.
You are right, he did mention extracting, however, I tend to not always believe that folks are actually doing what they say they are doing when it comes to computers. Some may think that running a compressed file is the same as extracting it. Also I would he extract all files not just the executable.

Nevertheless, I was a little suspicious when he mentioned he is using Winrar to "extract" the files, since Windows Explorer may in fact do what you state and prompt to extract, however, Winrar may yield the error indicate. Guess we will just have to see. Woun't be the first time I guessed wrong.

Perhaps what the error is stating is indeed the true fact, "..file is corrupt".
MBox /PT not supported under Win7 - I didn't leave PT, PT left me!
11/30/2009 - MBox, REAPER

http://www.jazzmandan.com
Old 10-06-2009, 07:10 PM

Thanks guys.

All good points.

I have, however already tried these suggestions.

I tried extracting the zip file (all of its contents) using windows explorer. I get an error right at the end whenever I do this.

That is why I tried using winrar. I thought it may make a difference. But that didn't work either (see the error message in my original post).

I even tried copying the files inside the zip file, which is really just a manual extract anyway (you know how windows lets you explore the contents of a zip file while still zipped etc).

I've also tried running the exe inside the zip file without extracting. Not that I actually expected that to work.

I've tried downloading the file using the download manager and tried the direct link download, both yield the same result.

Yes, I am using authentic software. All the software on my 'pro tools computer' is legit. Not that that should make a difference in this case because I can't even extract the files.

I am willing to go out on a limb and say it's probably something wrong on my end but I can't figure out what that would be because I have tried a few different computers (all from the same address though).

P.S. I just tried a fresh download and still no luck.

Thanks again.

Naz
Old 10-06-2009, 07:19 PM

That's not right, I wonder if there is corruption on their end.

Formerly hobotom

HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 10-07-2009, 08:30 PM

Thumbs down Re: Pro Tools LE 8.0.1 Update Problem

I think it is something on their end. I have a similar problem I'm on a Mac though (I know this is the PC forum but this is the only thread I could find that seemed the same as my problem) When I download the disk image it wont mount (says invalid checksum), I can get it to mount with toast though, it will begin to install but fail at the end saying that "the source media is corrupt". I've trashed and re-downloaded about 4 times no go....DIGI? All legit software etc...
Old 10-07-2009, 09:34 PM
Administrator

I just tested both the Mac and Windows PTLE 8.0.1 downloads from my home, and both downloaded and expanded without any errors.

Not sure what to suggest, since I'm not able to reproduce the problem.

For the original poster, I know you have downloaded several times, but definitely make sure you delete any previous downloads before trying again. I would maybe try a different browser (Firefox or Explorer, whichever one you did not try before). And choose a different download location. The download manager will allow you to choose a location other than your browser's default location.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digidesign View Post

For the original poster, I know you have downloaded several times, but definitely make sure you delete any previous downloads before trying again. I would maybe try a different browser (Firefox or Explorer, whichever one you did not try before). And choose a different download location. The download manager will allow you to choose a location other than your browser's default location.
Good thoughts.

Formerly hobotom

HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs

www.metrostudios.com