Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2009, 07:48 AM

Default Re: Black Lion Audio Mod Comparison Experiment

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.G. Killa View Post
There is no way to split a mic signal before a preamp to record the same performance on different machines
just split the mic signal from the preamp output

Old 08-19-2009, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajv205 View Post
just split the mic signal from the preamp output
Doesn't work like that on a 003..

The mod involves the preamps and the converters and there is no insert point/direct out after the pres
Old 08-19-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainless View Post
I think it may have been better to have paired samples, which could have been stock/BLA, stock/stock, BLA/BLA-
You know, I almost did that... but then I figured users could do that on their own with any combination, instead of preset combinations by me. In some ways I might have been able to unknowingly skew the results by my picking the pairs (who knows, I sure someone would have said that is the case if I did! LOL)... so I figured it's more of a "double-blind A/B/X" comparison if I just throw them all out there and let people listen. I strongly suggest people compare in pairs or groups of fours, compare A/B, A/C, A/D, etc... and so on. Maybe pick the one you like the best after first listening, then compare all the others to that. After switching between them see if the one you picked out first is still the one you like after a few side by side comparisons.

Also, the reason I included the metronome clicks is so people could time align the files (also the test tone is to make sure they are all playing back at the correct volume, if one test tone is louder than the other then either I did something wrong or one track in your system is turned up. Please let me know if you notice anything like that). If you load them up on stereo audio tracks and line up the metronome clicks you can use the solo (with the X-OR solo option selected) to switch between them on the fly to really hear the differences.

Also, with this many files, it really filters out any biases people might have. Is it really the performance that you are drawn to or is your ear really hearing a difference in the devices? That sort of thing... ya know? Again I apologize for all the files, but I figured it was the best way to really see what it is we are really hearing.

And as I said before, there is no "correct" answers here. Everything has a tone or sound. Some people will prefer one or the other. It doesn't make either worse or better. I did this for my boss to see if he can really hear a difference and if he does, which one he prefers.

Also, I think I mentioned it before but maybe not... When I post the results, I'm also going to post the multitrack protools sessions so anyone who is interested can download them. It may turn out you like drums on one box and acoustic guitar on the other... Being able to solo the tracks or mute the other tracks will help people listen for those types of things.

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 08-19-2009, 11:21 AM

Thanks for doing this. I have a 002R that I am very keen on doing this mod to.

I am not a professional audio guy, but I have been using Pro Tools for some years now.

If this mod can improve my 002R I will be very happy.

I cannot wait to get to my studio to do the test.

Peppertree, I don't know you man but I will go by what I have read that you are knowledgeable and likely are a cool dude. But jeez man, reading all your posts and how you are very down on BLA- all over the fact they don't post specs......well that's how I read it...... it seems over the top brother. I know you won't, but I'd say let it go. Is it worth wasting energy on this...especially when you could be putting it elsewhere?
2TB Solid State Drive
Thunderbolt 4
Sonoma 14.1.2
Pro Tools 2023.9
Universal Audio Apollo 8P (TB3 Option Card installed)
Old 08-19-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Dogg View Post
If this mod can improve my 002R I will be very happy.
One important side note to keep in mind. I'm not doing this with a 002R. It's a 003R+. The mod for the 003R+ is somewhat different. BLA actually recommends you get 002R instead of a 003R or 003R+ simply because they can do more to the 002R.

So if you get the mod to your 002R, you might prefer it even to the files I'm posting. The reason I didn't do a 002R or 003R, is because as I mentioned, this is for my boss (the owner of the production company I work for) and he already bought the 003+.

Derek Jones Linkedin
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 08-19-2009, 11:35 AM

One thing I'm wondering too... does anyone think that some files just sound like complete crap and others sound good? Or is it more like, "yeah they sound similar but I hear subtle differences and I like this one better."

Not only try to comment on the one you like best, also try to comment on some of the ones you don't like the sound of and why. I think that will also be really helpful too. It could be one person picks one based on the way they like/hate the drum sounds but someone else picks a different one because they like/hate the guitar sound... and so on... And as someone else pointed out, the performances are slightly different on each one, so I could be hitting the snare a little harder on one or the guitarist could be digging in a little more on another and that might be why you gravitate to one or the other. So the more info you can give on what you like AND what you don't like will be helpful to others listening to the same files.

Derek Jones Linkedin
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 08-19-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.G. Killa View Post
You know, I almost did that... but then I figured users could do that on their own with any combination, instead of preset combinations by me.
I was thinking about this more... if some people want, I can give some suggested test groupings? Here's some groups of four to try comparing...

Group 1 - A, E, J, N
Group 2 - C, D, K, P
Group 3 - B, G, H, N
Group 4 - F, I, L, O
Group 5 - A, B, J, M
Group 6 - E, G, H, N
Group 7 - C, F, O, P
Group 8 - D, I, K, L
Group 9 - G, H, I, L
Group 10 - B, F, M, O
Group 11 - F, G, H, O
Group 12 - B, I, L, M

I could come up with even more groupings if people want, but this is already a lot! This will probably take a little bit of time for anyone to do. Feel free to try doing a few (or none, or all!) of the groupings and posts your thoughts on the mixes compared to the others in the group. If you do one of the group compares, try to list which one(s) and your thoughts on each one you did...like

Group 1 - favorite was [?] cuz it was [Insert]. Least favorite was [?] because [Insert]... the other two were [insert]...

Group 12 - favorite was [?] cuz it was [Insert]. Least favorite was [?] because [Insert]... the other two were [insert]...

And so on... you really don't have to follow my layout, but just try to keep your comments for each group together. And any comments you have overall separate from any feelings you might have when comparing just one group.

Thanks for everyone who has downloaded and is listening!!! I think this will be really beneficial for everyone. And again, there are no "right" or "wrong" answers here. Just listen and give your opinions as to what you like and what you don't and why.

Cheers!

Derek Jones Linkedin
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 08-19-2009, 12:57 PM

Well I am no expert but I like the idea of not knowing a thing about the movie I am about to see........ I do not even like seeing the trailer really. I want total surprise.

So as far as the samples for review, I like the idea of no info at all other than a sidenote for any issues you may have had for a certain take that might have a bearing on it.

Even that I would want to read after the fact.

I think your original plan is sound. As you say there is a slight possibility of small differences due to the mic's, the plugging and unplugging etc and also performance differences...... but if these mods are as good as everyone says, one should be able to hear it....something right?
2TB Solid State Drive
Thunderbolt 4
Sonoma 14.1.2
Pro Tools 2023.9
Universal Audio Apollo 8P (TB3 Option Card installed)
Old 08-19-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Dogg View Post
but if these mods are as good as everyone says, one should be able to hear it....something right?
Exactly.

Derek Jones Linkedin
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 08-19-2009, 08:05 PM

when i pick up my unit i gotta talk to you about the kick drum mic and placement and also check out the drum itself bcuz i like it....of course i have my favorites but i like the way it sounds in all of them.