Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2008, 07:24 PM

Default PT Won\'t Let Me Connect MIDI Device

Pro Tools LE 7.4.2 Mac OS 10.5.3 2.8 GHz 8-core Mac Pro with 10GB of RAM

I am using a Roland GK-3 to a Terratec Axon AX 50 USB to send Pro Tools my MIDI information from a guitar. I am not a keyboard player, so this way is far superior for me. For a week, it was working fine. Now it does not work correctly with Pro Tools. I have recently moved from the 7.4.2pr to 7.4.2.

The Axon shows up in the Audio MIDI Setup, but the M Box 2 Pro Icon will not accept an input from the Axon 50 icon when I try to drag the line from the arrow of the Axon to the arrow of the M Box 2 Pro. If I create a new devise and try to use the keyboard, it will be accepted by the M Box 2 Pro in the Audio MIDI Setup and it works.

Why is PT recognising the Axon, but refusing to be connected any longer. It used to work with Pro Tools! I can still trigger my plug-ins directly in stand alone mode (without Pro Tools) so I know the Axon works.

Also, in PT, when I turn the Axon off, with the Axon selected as the input of a MIDI track, the input becomes italicised (deactivated). Then, I turn it on, and it is re-activated (obviously, The Axon and PT are talking)

In the Audio Midi Setup, I double click on the Axon 50 Icon and the following fields are greyed out and won't let me change them:
Manufacturer, Model, Device is Online (it is checked), Revert and Apply buttons

So... the problem seems to be with Pro Tools. It won't let me connect the Axon 50 to Pro Tools in the Audio MIDI Setup, so I can't record the MIDI info to a track, I need to do that. I have trashed prefs for Pro Tools and the Axon, rebooted the Axon and cpu many many times. This seems like a glitch, it just doesn't make any sense.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm in the middle of a project, so I can't afford to re-install Pro Tools and, by default ALL of my many plug-ins that took so long to get installed in the first place unless I know it will solve the problem.

Thanks, Ed
Old 06-26-2008, 08:18 PM

Default Re: PT Won\'t Let Me Connect MIDI Device

Just curious.. Since it connects via USB, does it show as an interface (connector arrows on the bottom of the icon) or as a device with the arrows on top? I don't think you can connect an interface to another interface. I notice that my interface(s), including the 002 and a midisport, don't allow most of the device options to be changed.. They also both needed drivers.

Did the Axon need a driver?

What kind of reaction do you get if you use the "test studio" feature in Audio Midi Setup?
Old 06-27-2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:
I don't think you can connect an interface to another interface.
This is spot on. Since the Axon is connected via USB, you don't do anything with it Audio/MIDI setup (no need to 'connect' it to the Mbox icon), it's already connected to your system.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:08 AM
Avid

First, make sure that 'MIDI Thru' is checked and that the Axon is enabled in the MIDI Input Devices panel.

You do not need to connect the Axon to anything in AMS. The fact that it's showing up as a valid input/output on the MIDI i/o tabs in Pro Tools is indication that Pro Tools sees the input.

Can you describe, exactly, what you're doing and what you expect to see happen when recording? Do you have a valid input/output selected on the MIDI or Instrument track? Is the track record enabled?
Old 06-27-2008, 11:49 AM

Thanks for the quick reply everyone. You people are the best!

Guess what? I changed nothing, woke up today, and it works again. Glitch? I don't know. It works and I got work to do. Thanks again. I'm sure I'll be back on if it happens again.

ed