Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2007, 02:04 PM

Default Is the MBOX family right for me?

I am new and I have spent a little time searching for answers in this forum but have not found what I am looking for pertaining to my needs and system. I am looking for advice on which system to purchase - Mbox2 or Mbox2Pro. My biggest concern, after cost, is "latencey". I REALLY want ZERO latencey. Is this really possible with the Mbox family? On this forum I have seen both terms used - "zero" and "low". My assumption is that there is a difference. Will the difference in cost make a difference to me for what I want.

I intend on mostly recording live drums, bass, vocals, and guitars individually. However, the greater the flexibility to record them all at once the better.

Question Two: I also have an old black face ADAT and would love to know how to easily transfer those tapes to PT for remixing, if it is possible.

Please let me know what you think is my best option, even if it is not the Mbox. I was drawn to it for protools, cost, and somewhat portability. I apologize ahead of time since I am neither a recording or computer wiz. Layman's answers will mean the world of difference.

Thank you in advance.

Jason

SANDRA:
OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name LAPTOP
System Manufacturer Gateway
System Model Gateway 7400 Series
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 10 AuthenticAMD ~2004 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix NS.00.02, 10/16/2004
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
User Name LAPTOP\Owner
Time Zone Pacific Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 768.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 391.45 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 1.45 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Old 12-02-2007, 09:26 AM

Default Re: Is the MBOX family right for me?

ok
Zero latency means monitoring from the inputs, which means for overdubbing you can't get zero latency.
The MBox 2 has a mix knob which selects input/playback to monitors+headphones. No processing involved there.
You can adjust latencies with the buffer settings. I think 512 is 12 ms, and that is pretty easy to play to.

If you want to record drums bass guitars vocals all at once an Mbox is not going to cut it! Theres just not enough inputs to have control over everything independently.

The M-Audio Fast track Ultra has 8 inputs, The Project Mix I/O has 16 ins. The 002 or 003 has 18 inputs total. 003 is pretty expensive though.

does that help at all?
Recording ADATs is easy with PT.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:02 AM

i got an M Box 2...i play with the Mix knob an when i lower the lantency...the volume of the mic for some reason goes lower. Does the 002 an 003 have latency monitoring?

cuz the M Box 2 said Zero Lantency but im not 100$ confident in the that
Old 12-05-2007, 07:49 PM

Thank You for your responses.

SO as I understand it, Mbox2 will never have "zero" latency but 12 mil sec is really unnoticible and easy to overdub with. I'm not sure if that means I have to adjust my playing or timing though. It sounds as if I can deal with a virtually undetectable delay and give up on recording all instrument at the same time, the Mbox2 still might be for me.

The FastTrack Ultra sounds like a nice interface that's in my price range but I loose PT and it's bundled software. I do have an old version of cubase, but I was hoping to switch to PT. How much is Protools alone? Decisions, decisions.

If I get the Mbox2 I will come back to this forum to find out how "easy" the steps are to copying ADAT tapes to protools.

I really do appreciate the response. It gave me a little more to go on.

Jason
Old 12-06-2007, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Thank You for your responses.

SO as I understand it, Mbox2 will never have "zero" latency but 12 mil sec is really unnoticible and easy to overdub with. I'm not sure if that means I have to adjust my playing or timing though. It sounds as if I can deal with a virtually undetectable delay and give up on recording all instrument at the same time, the Mbox2 still might be for me.

The FastTrack Ultra sounds like a nice interface that's in my price range but I loose PT and it's bundled software. I do have an old version of cubase, but I was hoping to switch to PT. How much is Protools alone? Decisions, decisions.

If I get the Mbox2 I will come back to this forum to find out how "easy" the steps are to copying ADAT tapes to protools.

I really do appreciate the response. It gave me a little more to go on.

Jason
12 msec is considerable (it's like your standing 12 feet from your amp). I've never had any complaints about 3 msec, but to run like this stresses your CPU, so you'll want the fastest processor you can afford. How old is your computer? And does it have a firewire port?

To connect your ADAT, you'll need an interface that can record 8 inputs simultaneously, which no USB interface can accomplish. You'll definitely want a firewire interface, like the 1814 ($600) plus PT M-Powered ($300), or pick up a used 002R (software included, at least version 7.1.1). I'd suggest the Delta 10/10, but it's PCI-card based, so it won't connect to your laptop.

Don't waste your money on an USB interface. They're noisy, and are considerably less stable than Firewire.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:52 AM

Hi

For the ADAT transfer, just make sure that whatever you buy has an ADAT Lightpipe plug on it, one of the main differences between the mbox2 and mbox2Pro, if im not mistaken is that the pro is firewire and the other usb, how do you want to record drums? OH's bass drum and snare, or a full mic set up on every drum? if you are wanting to do the whole lot, look around for a 002r before buying the mbox2pro you will need the extra inputs, you need to remember that you will also need more pre amps and microphones, which aint cheep. you could also take a look at some of the mixing desks with firewire transfer I belive mackie make one, I have a 01v96 yamahah, wich i'm thinking of getting the my-lan card for this will give me 16 channels of audio in 12 with preamps. I would have to dump protools though, at least for tracking. Take a look at Reaper if you want a replacement for protools, it also works as a Rewire plugin with protools and has audio capabilities way above any old version of cubase.

I have the 002r wich is not bad, I do like protools! but it has to ne said that the converters and preamps are crap, I use the ones on the Yamaha which I find much more presise, for tracking and monitoring.

Cheers

Iain
Old 12-11-2007, 05:32 PM

Thanks again, you folks are awesome. You seem to have given me so much good information to look into, but more is good. My impression is that Digidesign products are the only ones that bundle Protools though and older cubase is not up to par. This makes the decision a little tougherI'll let you know what I decide.

Jason
Old 12-12-2007, 01:47 PM

Just FYI, since the remaining 002R's are now going for around $650 new online, you get a lot of bang for your buck if you can still find one of these and can afford it. They are solid and have plenty of connection options, and the preamps aren't horrible either. I just picked one up online for $650 new. It's not portable like the MBoxes but it is feature packed by comparison and seems a good bang for the buck value. Also it's resale should be decent since you're getting it at rock bottom cost.