Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2006, 08:14 AM

Default monitoring when using AudioSuite plugins

A basic, simple question.

I recently upgraded from an LE to an HD2 system. One thing I used to do on my LE Mbox was highlight a region, then use the AudioSuite plugin Pitch 'n Time to slow down the section. I could then play along with the slower section with my guitar--I could monitor and hear the inputs from the Mbox.

When I do the same thing on my HD system, I cannot monitor an input at the same time that I am using Pitch 'n Time. My monitoring is working fine when I am not using the AudioSuite plugin but not when I use Pitch 'n Time.

Is there a setting that will allow me to monitor an input while using Pitch 'n Time?

Thanks,

-Andres
Old 08-23-2006, 09:50 AM

Default Re: monitoring when using AudioSuite plugins

I think all Audio Suite plugins actually write new files, so I think you can listen to the new files on a track or in a new session and play along with them once you have completed a first playthrough to write the new file/s.

What you may have noticed on the MBox is that it has a circuit that is actually a little analog mixer, allowing you to listen to input signals directly mixed (pre-computer) with the output of the Protools interface. HD systems are more complex and are almost certain to be used with a mixer of some sort. A typical routine is to input your source (mic, synth output, etc) to a mixer input, and send the mixer channel's direct output to a computer interface (eg, a 192 IO input), but also send that channel's signal to a master buss or other mix buss that also includes the listen outputs from Protools.

In TDM, there is also an option to monitor any channel's input (even if not in Record), which is the "I" button on the mixer view channel (which works in tandem with Input Monitor settings). I don't remember how this feature deals with latency issues.