Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2006, 08:45 AM

Default 5.1 encoders

Hi everybody,
I've been setting one of my control rooms to offer surround mixing for TV (LCRS/Pro Logic mostly)
My question is what plugin is everybody using/recommending to encode Lt/Rt?
I demoed the Circle Surround (SRS) and it works ok, the decoder seems wonky though, especially during 5.1 decode.
Any recommendations?
I'm trying to keep everything within ProTools so hardware is not really an option.
Thanks
Ciao
Gio
Old 06-21-2006, 09:18 AM

Default Re: 5.1 encoders

Quote:
the decoder seems wonky though, especially during 5.1 decode.
Please define "wonky" so we know what you are not happy with.

You encode 5.1 not decode it.

Ive demoed it, and love it, waiting for my SRS V2.0 to arrive.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:21 PM

I use the SRS and like it. Is it a perfectly discrete process? No. But it does a pretty good job at folding down a surround mix into a stereo mix.
Are you trying to unfold a stereo source into a surround format? That takes a little experimenting.
If you are trying to convert a stereo music bed then you should try playing with the center channel on the decode.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:25 PM

Hi
We use the Dolby Surround Tools and are very happy with it. Easy operation, Mono-Stereo-Lt/Rt switching to check compatibility, no problems.

IMDB

Puget Sound on Facebook
Old 06-21-2006, 01:06 PM

Hi there,

<>

Yes I'm taking a stereo Lt/Rt and unfolding it to 5.1 so it routes to my speakers, be it in Protools as I confidence mix, and at home to listen to it on a 'standard' unit.
The settings on the V2.0 Decoder give you either CS Cinema, CS music, LCRS, Stereo, and Mono settings.
The CS Cinema and CS Music to me sound like my stereo's Faux surround ambience.
Might just be me needing to tweak things a bit more.
Have not been able to encode a mix, burn it on a CD or DVD and check it at home.
How should I go about that, is there a specific program/format to use when I burn my Lt/Rt mix to media?
I bounced aiff (24/48), but iDVD wont let me place this file as a menu choice. Should I burn it as an Audio CD?
Also made Quicktimes (16/48) to put in iDVD, but a typical consumer receiver is not 'seeing' it as a 5.1 mix.

sorry for all the q's
trying to nail down if its the SRS decoder that shows me things one way in Protools, or if itsthe way I'm rendering' my media to use on a 'real world' unit.
Thanks
Ciao
Gio
Old 06-21-2006, 02:21 PM

Hi Gio.
Is it stereo, or Lt/Rt? There's a distinct difference, as I'm sure you know. And, an Lt/Rt contains no LFE or stereo surround info that would be decoded into 5.1. The Lt/Rt only decodes to LCRS.
Just trying to clarify your situation

IMDB

Puget Sound on Facebook
Old 06-21-2006, 03:09 PM

Thanks JKD
I think I'm using the wrong terminology.... leftovers from LCRS (Lt/Rt)
Now I'm confused.
When I encode my 6 channels (5.1) with the SRS encoder, what file is the encoder writing then?
and how do I get the world to hear it?, or broadcast it?
any light on this might help decode the confusion.
Thank You
Ciao
Gio
Old 06-21-2006, 05:19 PM

Hi Gio,
I don't use the SRS, so I can't speak to that directly, but, if you have a 5.1 mix you currently have 2 options for broadcast: Encode using Dolby E, for 5.1 broadcast, or downmix to Lt/Rt (matrixed LCRS) or plain-vanilla stereo (Lo/Ro). The Lt/Rt, being an analog signal, can be delivered, laid back, played back, monitored, etc. normally. It also, if properly prepared, will play back in Decoded LCRS (Pro Logic), Stereo or Mono. The Dolby E stream, however, is digital data and can only be monitored in a decoded form (remember trying to put a CD-ROM in your CD player? Same type of thing). Usually, in the case of a DigiBeta delivery, you'd put the Lt/Rt on ch 1&2, and the Dolby E on 3&4 (if they don't need an M&E on 3&4. If so, then you'll have 2 masters: one w/ Dolby E, and one w/ Lt/Rt).
The Lt/Rt is delivered as audio files (AIFF or .BWF are the norm) or a DA88, the Dolby E is usually encoded directly onto the tape, but there's a recent thread on delivering encoded Dolby E streams as audio files for layback; check it out, lots of good stuff there.
Hope this helps, and somebody please chime in if you can give specifics on the SRS!

IMDB

Puget Sound on Facebook
Old 06-21-2006, 05:43 PM

The SRS will allow you to encode your 5.1 & 6.1 mix into an anolog stereo mix. This means you can create an stero file that will deocde w/ a 5.1 tuner. ProLogic 2 equiped recievers. It's very important to mix through the encode and then decode while you work so you can hear the effects that it will have on your mix. For example, you may not want a particular sound to come through the center channel but it will. You can either play with it and try and get oit to not do that or live with it. Like I said earlier, It's not a perfect 5.1 discrete representaion of your mix. What it will do is allow say a :30 spot to be encoded for stereo playback & broadcast but if a viewer has a 5.1 set up at home, it will decode pretty similarly to what you heard in the studio. Dolby E is a digital delivery format.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:43 PM

First of all read the SRS manual, and read up on how to set up your IOs.

You install the plugs in series on an aux track, encoder first, then decoder. The inputs and outputs should be the 6.1
as set up in the manual. In this manner you can monitor the 6.1, the 6.1 encoded to LT/RT, and the LT/RT decoded.
Once youre fine with the encoding, and decoding, print a 2 track from that aux bypassing the encoder.
DO NOT BOUNCE!!!! Rerecord. to a stereo track. Take that track, and put it to whatever medium will play back at home.

Any bussing error using SRS in Protools will wreak havock (sp??) I just created some really cool Kareoke mixes by accident!!!!!!
Also experiment with the decoder outputs before
making up your mind how how good or poorly it works!!!!

The SRS decoder emulates home decoders, thats all its used for unless you check the xtract mode.