Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 05-15-2020, 12:29 PM

Default Skype Audio into PT session on Mac Tower

Hello, I'm trying to find a simple way to use a Skype number 'dialed into my Mac 2013 tower - which lives outside the control room in a separate space machine closet - where I can then route that audio to a PT session. This way a remote client could use a Skype number to 'phone patch' into the session. I know voice talent on laptops can do this easily but in a stusio situation with something more complex than that it get's hard to connect to dots. Currently we use a phone patch device for JK audio attached to a land line. However AT&T is phasing out land lines moving forward and I have to believe there is a internet based solution that I can use. We do have Source Connect but this would be for clients who want to connect and direct from their phones [and maybe camera] only. They are not connecting from another studio that may have SC.
Old 05-15-2020, 05:19 PM

Default Re: Skype Audio into PT session on Mac Tower

JK Audio make a box called Daptor 2. There’s a standard analog line in model and a BT version. There’s also a new one by a company called Angry Audio that seems better being a fully balanced box and also has AES for digital connection. We are yet to receive one, but it looks well built and specced.

Alternatively use one of the Rogue Amoeba apps like Loopback to route the audio back into Pro Tools. If it’s for IP based calls like Skype, then the latter would be simpler and cheaper. If you need actual telephony from a cell phone then the former options will be the ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-2020, 05:22 PM

I have a 2010 tower and I simply route the optical in/out from the tower to my interface's optical in/out. Crystal clear and pretty simple. The routing within PT is more tricky than the physical routing.

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system
Old 05-16-2020, 08:00 AM

Couple thoughts: Source Nexus can get you into an HDX session from CoreAudio through a plugin instantiated in the session. Also, just having a second cheap usb interface around would let you route CoreAudio out to the interface and then you could bring it into your session via analog; that way you don't need to worry about sample rate issues, etc.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 05-16-2020, 09:14 PM
Quiet Art Ltd.

I've been using Nexus for this since my Spdif on blue 192 stopped working after the HDX upgrade. One downside of Nexus is that it can introduce a slight delay.

WaveRider + Defaulter (now with LKFS)
QuietArt.co.nz

Catchin' SYNC app
Old 05-27-2020, 10:50 AM

Hey All, THANK YOU SO MUCH for all these leads. Working on a solution now . I'll update as I solve. Would love to Loose the land line forever as AT&T is raising rates faster than you can keep up.

thanks!